An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Could telling the dr about past drug abuse could that stop me joining a profession?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by jutabraonl, Jul 9, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

As long as your urine samples will be clean, then there is nothing to worry about. A lot of people in the forces have used and are still using substances, so don't worry, as long as you never touch drugs again.

Your doctor can not tell anyone about your medical history. If she/he does this, you are entitled to sue his ass and, 99,99% of the time, you will win.

Feel free to start training.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I wouldn't even bring it up. But on the other hand, it could help your case if you're going to be in a profession where you're helping people like a counselor or something.
  3. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Your medical records should be kept confidential, and only shared with others if you provide consent. That being said, most teaching positions require background checks and some require drug testing. As long as there were not any issues with your background check or your drug test, I'm sure it would be fine. I am unsure about stipulations for firefighters, but I would assume they may have similar requirements.

If these are occupations that you are really serious about doing, why not give it a shot? In the process, you may even find a different job in that field that you prefer more.
  4. Neekerz

Neekerz Member

I've recently secured a place to study teacher training at university which I am super excited about.
    I do however have a drug history and have to fill in a medical questionnaire about my suitability.
    I've Been clean nearly 10 months and my plans have given me a focus and purpose for staying clean.
    I've been stressing about what to disclose in my medical form - would disclosure go against me but would the dishonesty be a worry - I gather that I would face instant dismissal if I did get caught out.
    I can't imagi be that im the first person to go through this but I hate that my past is still haunting me.
    Does anyone have any experience here and can advise?
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Neekerz... I don't have any first-hand experience with this, but my personal opinion is that honesty is always the best way to go. You're right: If you lie and are found out, they will likely dismiss you immediately. And that event could follow you around indefinitely. Plus, you'd probably be worrying about it constantly. On the other hand, if you're completely honest and get hired, you're mind will be at ease. A suggestion: When filling out the medical questionnaire, maybe consider adding an "essay" of sorts, describing the situation you were in, how you overcame it, and how your life has changed since you've been clean. I think that kind of thing would go a long way toward defining your character. Just my two cents.

Good luck, my friend. And congrats on 10 months!! That's awesome!