An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Court Ordered Treatment vs Voluntary

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by romananthonysmama, Jan 17, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Do you all think that voluntary treatment has higher success rates than court ordered treatment? I think it depends on the person and success can be seen no matter what, depending on how the treatment center effected them and how much they took in. When you recovered, was your treatment ordered by the courts, or did you do it voluntarily? Do you think family forcing you into it is the same as being ordered by the court, and do you think the success rates or lower when it is forced on you?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I think that sometimes people go into court ordered treatment with a negative attitude, however with an effective treatment plan that addresses this feeling, I believe an individual can come out turned around and really embracing the treatment. There is always and advantage with someone going into treatment voluntarily, but both individuals can be equally successful.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

I really do think that if the initiative to change personally came from you, it's going to be far more effective than any other force, because at the end you are fighting for yourself and for the people who you deem very important to you. Unlike with the court order, you might probably be able to be treated, but what's the guarantee that you are not going to get back to you addiction, if you didn't commit all yourself to it? If you do it voluntarily, then you know really what you are fighting for.
  4. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Yes, it is more effective simply because the motivation is there. If you do court ordered treatment, then that means the motivation is not as strong as voluntary treatment. I believe that motivation from yourself is the main factor in determining whether a recovery program can be successful. No matter how good the programs are or how skillful the professionals are, if the patient is not motivated enough, it will be a hard task (doable but difficult).

Thus said, I still think court ordered treatments are necessary because otherwise, those people will continue their lifestyle.
  5. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I totally agree with both of you! I think the only way court ordered treatment could really work, is if someone had an awakening while in treatment and changed their motivation from wanting to get out of trouble, to really wanting to get clean. I think people are right when they talk about how you need to want to change for yourself, and not to please everyone surrounding you. Until they, themselves, feel ready to commit to treatment, and deem themselves worth being sober and happy, then I think treatment is less successful.
  6. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think it depends. Maybe the person who gets the court ordered treatment really takes to it one they get into it. Maybe the person who voluntarily checks in also voluntarily checks out. It can really go either way. I would like to assume that those who check themselves in have the intent on seeing it through.
  7. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I think voluntare treatment is the best. You don't want them to be forced because then they don't care to get better. They think of it as let's gets this over with and act our best to get out of here. When they want it, it can actually work!