An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Crack cocaine

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Sparkster, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have seen the way some people act on crack and it is not a pretty sight. I work in an area where there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts. They literally walk around flailing their arms and legs and making strange faces. There is a reason why people call them "crack heads." Plus I think you get the same sores on your body that you do from taking method right?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I know that it definitely changes people's behaviour and the way they act. It also seems to affect people mentally. People, when under the influence of crack cocaine, can have some very strange and weird thoughts and compulsions and that's quite scary. I don't think I've known anyone who ever developed sores, as meth users do, but it's certainly a possibility.
  3. lynzyh28

lynzyh28 Active Contributor

Did you not care about the lived one's that you hurt during active addiction? Was there anything that your family could have done to help you? Did you feel guilty about the pain you caused to yourself and others and if so did that guilty just make you want to get high more?
  4. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

My husband was on crack cocaine years ago. He said the withdrawals were more mental than physical but said he would smell it often times, even years after being off of it. Such a powerful and dangerous substance.
  5. lynzyh28

lynzyh28 Active Contributor

Yeah, mine says the same thing. He swears that he can't get clean where we live so he has given up. I don't understand why anyone even tries out in the first place.
  6. estalucy

estalucy Member

Hi there, I have just joined as I felt I needed to clarify a few things here. It seems a lot of comments have been based from watching films or reading press info, and everyone knows the press ie newspapers, TV shows etc do tend to exaggerate, miss inform
    or even make things up!

Regarding 'washing back' cocaine, it's called washing up, and you have to use ammonia or bicarbonate of soda with the cocaine, in water boil it up so the water evaporates and leave the paste to dry into hard rock. That's putting it simply it's actually quite hard to do it right. No using ammonia does not increase coma!
    The comment about crack being physically addictive than heroin - completely wrong! It's the other way round. Yes crack is more/very psycologically addictive as in you crave it mentally but you get NO physical symptoms if you don't have it.Heroin however is horrendous, physically you have awful cravings, cramps, where your muscles cannot relax, your legs twitch and cramp, shivers, sweats, goose bumps, skin crawling to the extent if you or someone touches your skin you shudder, you constantly yawn, your pupils dilate, nose runs, vomiting, diarrhoea, and on top of that you feel disjointed from yourself and others, you don't feel yourself, it's very weird feeling. So I just wanted to let People know that yes crack is mentally very addictive but not physically. And the comment on you can die the first time you smoke crack is very miss informed, more like you can get mentally addicted from the first time,but not die! Smoking it wont kill you, swallowing a decent amount could yes. The only time smoking crack can cause death is if the user has other issues like pneumonia so is very ill any way but it's rare, much more people die from alcohol and cigarettes. and even heroin you can't die from smoking it, only injecting as the overdose is from the injected drug going straight into your system, smoking heroine you can't actually overdose. Also the thing about the anti drugs video of a baby picking it up and putting it in its mouth- lol if that actually happened the baby wouldn't become a crack addict - it would be dead! A baby swallowing a small amount of crack of course it would die, as ingesting it by swallowing it, even a small rock would kill a little baby, not make it become an addict, silly message to send out IMHO.
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. Sparkster

This is utter misinformation. Yes, it's 'washed up' or 'washed back' (a term used in the UK by the way) either using Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) or Ammonia. Yes, ammonia does increase the risk of coma and it has already happened numerous times and yes, it IS physically addictive - I know this from personal experience and can tell you that the physical withdrawal symptoms are horrendous and smoking crack CAN cause asphyxia at any time, regardless of whether you're taking it for the first time or 500th time. Most of what you have said here seems very much like your own personal opinion and not based on facts or first- hand experience with the dark side of this drug. Having said that, I am talking about REAL crack-cocaine and not the common low-quality junk that people often sell as crack.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  8. estalucy

estalucy Member

Lol I'm a recovering addict. I was using heroin and crack from that age of 16 to 28. And I now work as an apt (anatomical pathology technician), which is working in a mortuary, preparing the body for the pathologist to conduct the post mortum/autopsy, by making the y shaped incision, removing the rib cage so the pathologist can remove and disect the organs then I sew the body back up again. I then type up the autopsy/post mortum report and send samples off to toxicology. in my time doing this job not one case where the cause of death has been from crack cocaine,(many years ago a friend nearly died but he had a bad chest and lungs from smoking cigarettes and he had been smoking crack for days on end on a binge and his already weak lungs collapsed), a couple cases from overdose due to injecting heroin but in those cases they were also alcoholics so that contributed to the death, but countless causes of death have been due to cigarette smoking, ie lung cancer, and throat cancer, COPD etc,(does crack cocaine have the chemicals that cigarettes have?!) and also many alcoholic related causes of death. But of course we tend to ignore this, as alcohol and cigarettes are legal, taxable substances.
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I think David Cameron's regime should crack the whip on drug peddlers who are promoting this new menace. People should be made aware of its perils and the proliferation routes must be plugged out to blunt the drug traders. Young people should help each other and participate in walkathons to spread awareness.
  10. estalucy

estalucy Member

Let's face it drug addiction/abuse is horrendous, as I described in my previous post, the physical withdrawals alone from heroin I wouldn't wish on an enemy (maybe my worst enemy), and the psychological addiction with Crack is immense, ends in breaking the law, affects relationship's and friendships, financially draining, this is putting it lightly. It would be fab if drug dealers would no longer exist because they were scared of lengthy prison sentances etc, but truthfully that wouldn't stop them anyway, there will always be drug dealers I'm afraid, just like there will always be rapists, abusers, murderers and all other criminals, or immoral people.
    Wouldn't it be great if young people doing walkathons spreading awareness would prevent/stop others from using drugs, particularly the class a's, but again, there will always be people picking up drugs for the first time. I had anti drug education at school, including a police officer from the drugs squad coming in and giving a talk. I was about 14 then. I was 16, just finished my gcse's when I used heroin and crack for the first time. I come from a middle class background, lovely family, lived in a small village near a small Midlands town, it's not just the poor lower classes that get caught up in that world.

Basically drugs will always be around, cocaine was invented back in 1860 I think, Sigmund Freud loved his coke! And coca leaves were used as currency by the Spanish consquaders. Opium was used by the Egyptians way back bC, okay it's not in the west these days but still many addicts in india, goa and Thailand and of course heroin has been in the western world for some time too. It's all about damage limitation, better resources for addicts, and of course awareness but it's a sad fact drugs will always exist, from the Mexican cocaine cartels whose bosses are worth billions of $, and the farmers in Afghanistan that grow the poppies which are produced into the heroin that ends up on the streets of small western world towns sold by street dealers that are selling it only to support their own habit. It's a dark, immoral, corrupt world out there and always will be.
  11. Sparkster

What's this got to do with anything? This is clearly just speculative nonsense which you openly admit is based on your own subjective experience of what goes on and not on factual information. Just because you haven't seen something happen with your own eyes or been involved with it yourself, doesn't mean it's not real or that doesn't happen. This is an incredibly narrow-minded outlook. Are your credentials supposed to impress me or something? Because if they are, I can do one hell of a lot better than that. I don't generally make a habit of going around spreading cerebral narcissism all over internet forums though.
  12. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

All new kinds of drugs are being developed, and in order for them to get widespread as fast as possible they make their effects stronger than the older ones, thus making them much more dangerous.
  13. Sparkster

And to prove your point all one needs to do is take a look at how cannabis culture has evolved in the UK. We've gone from importing low grade hash and resin which was contaminated and weighed down from the start to growing high THC bud ourselves, using hydroponics and plant steroids to boost it's strength, creating hybrid strains for even more potency and even on to smoking THC crystals. Marijuana in the UK is now over three times more potent than it was twenty years ago. I think this is significant because it is the most widely used drug in most countries. However, with harder drugs like crack cocaine the opposite is the case, probably so that addicted users keep coming back for more in attempt to get the same high.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This stuff has been a epidemic since the 80's in the US. I have known people who were on this and they wreaked havoc in there own lives and the lives of others. When somebody is on crack they'll do anything to get it. Drug dealers make a lot of money quick and get into wars over crack. I knew two people when I was teenager who sold crack and one of them eventually ended up shooting at the other.