An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Craving events

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by nonsiccus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

I find that some of the worst craving spikes I will get are the "traditional" ones like after meals, sex and when waiting... but recently I've developed cravings at odd times like in the middle of the night when/if I get up to urinate.

It's unusual for me as I've been clean from smoking for several months now (4.5 since my last smoke to be exact) and I've never had a smoke during a middle-of-the-night pee break. Has anyone else encountered something like this?
    Rosyrain likes this.
  2. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

Actually, yes. I have noticed that when I began smoking I would feel the need to smoke just after I ate, driving, or talking on the phone. It is fifteen years later and now I have the urge to smoke anytime I happen to wake up in the middle of the night. I will literally get up out of bed, get my cigarettes and smoke. Even if it is three in the morning. I'm glad you brought this subject up. I never really thought about how disturbing this addiction is. I guess antytime an addiction controls your life to this extent it's time to examine options for quitting. At least that's how I feel right now.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I get this too and it does feel weird. I'm not too sure why this is but my best guess is that the association is no longer present after you quit so the cravings come back and latch on to something more random or less traditional. I also found that as time went on I am developing new association habits and have started craving cigarettes while doing activities that never used to trigger my cravings.
  4. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

Cigarettes are a beautiful nightmare to me. I hate them and like them for so many reasons. I have not been able to quit yet, however I really want to. I can't fully understand what you are experiencing because I haven't been able to quit long enough to experience post smoking cravings. I am so proud of you for having the strength to do what so many cannot. I hope your cravings disappear forever very soon.
  5. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Yes definitely. When I first quit I would have dreams that I was smoking a cigarette and in my dream it tasted so damn good! Like the best cigarette I ever had in my life. Then I would wake up really craving one. I had to remind myself that it wouldn't taste as good as it is in my dream and get on with it. I found that these random cravings dissipated over time though so you just have to power through it and don't give in.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This middle of the night thing happened to me just this morning now that you mention it. I have not smoked in going on 4 weeks now and I woke up this morning at 4am because I had to visit the bathroom. When I layer back down I had a minor craving, and had to ignore it. I think it is your mind just playing games with you. Keep up the good work.
  7. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

This is not hard and fast, but a general indicator is- 5 - 8 days after quitting - The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them and 10 days later the "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

When I try to quit I generally have mild cravings all day. However I still do get overly intense cravings from triggers. Hell, mine were so bad I had to leave my house through my back door because I'd always smoke on the front porch. Ideally though, your brain will realize that it can't get what it wants every time you throw a temper tantrum and the triggers should go away more or less.
  9. I've noticed recently I have been able to curb the urge while driving. That is a huge step for me. But upon waking in the morning and after eating is still so prevalent. The eating part is bad because I have a few times not eaten until I replenished my supply of cigarettes to be sure I had one after. That is just wrong on so many levels. Waiting and boredom triggers me too.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know some people who would smoke, in the morning or after a hard day's work and have a couple which would relax them and help them to have a positive day. My dad used to, smoke in the morning after having coffee and also after breakfast and could smoke two packets a day or three it was amazing he could do that. I think, that it can give cravings when you least expect it and also may make you tensed when you don't get to smoke at the time.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

After eating was always the worst time for me too. That, and drinking beer. The associations between cigarettes and these two things were so strong and whilst avoiding beer was actually a good thing, I would also avoid meals because I knew I would get such a strong urge to smoke afterwards.
  12. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Yes it happened to me as well when I was trying to quit, it's not that unusual. Even if 4.5 months sound much, it really is not. Ex smokers have the urge to smoke even after years, not so strong but still they do from time to time.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this will probably be the case with a lot of smokers. They will have a set routine when they would normally have a cigarette. That's all part of the addiction and the habit, and that's why when your trying to quit, these are the times when it's hardest and your at you most vulnerable.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I also found that when I wanted to quit I was bound to be a part of these arbitrary happenings. It's nothing unusual, but you should keep in mind that these can mostly occur when your power of will is overwhelming toward the addiction. Consider this as a last resort from your inner vice in order for you to not quit. :)