An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Craving Sweets

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by E.Mil, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Before I love eating sweets like cakes and other desserts. But when my father was diagnosed with diabetes I already stopped eating sweet foods. Our family was advised by the doctor that the disease is hereditary and we must be aware. Before anything else our health is our wealth that is why to satisfy our cravings for sweets we just eat natural fresh fruits that has sweet taste too.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Fruits are naturally sweet and as a bonus, they are also very nutritious. Make some popsicles or candies with various fruits. The internet has a lot of recipes for this. Sweets give you false energy and you end up binge eating them. You can eat a lot of fruits but still stay lean!
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Nothing in the world is better for summertime than a huge fruit salad. And I don't mean the kind that has en entire bag of sugar poured into it
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

When I crave sweets I usually try to drink green tea - I read somewhere once that drinking green tea can actually assist in decreasing cravings for sweets and I do find it works.

Otherwise, I try to occupy myself with something. A lot of my sweets cravings come from being bored or not having anything to do - and then I get that snacky sort of feeling. If I'm busy I don't have time to think about consuming sweets, and that's even better than having to avoid cravings!
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Tea in general seems to help me as well. It also has the added benefit of being a relaxing ritual - I find that I crave sweets more often when I’m anxious about one thing or another. Sugar certainly doesn’t help that. Feeling unproductive is another big trigger for me too.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Impose yourself that eating more sweets than you normally do is very bad for your health and it could potentially affect your health a lot, sometimes even unrecoverable. It's always worked for me. :)
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Eating healthy carbs. Potatoes are good to curb the craving. I eat a ton of fruit instead to replace the sugar that I think I need. Your brain and body actually need the kind of sweetness that is in fruit. Find really yummy replacements.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

There's no need to give up on sweets and cakes entirely. As long as you're not indulging in them on a daily basis, you should be fine. And those few days that you decide to spoil your sweet tooth, just ensure that you only consume a moderate amount. A bit of sugar intake is not entirely a bad thing.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I agree with you. I think that as long as she doesn't indulge daily everything is ok. I personally try to control myself the whole week, then during the weekend I eat the cookies I want ;) Plus a bit soda and so on, if i didn't do that I'd go crazy. That is why I must take one day off. But everyone dealing with this kind of issues must decide if doing the same is a good pick or not.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  10. Tremmie

I'm kinda glad to hear I am not the only one that has no self control when it comes to sweet stuff, no idea how those people who buy ice cream and they eat a little bit every now and then. I can't do that :( I used to be able to do it before gaining weight, but lately the temptation seems to overtake me. It's better to prevent ;)
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I love sweets as well. Sometimes it's just a matter of substiting for something healthier. I would hate to go cold turkey but I would for health reasons.
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I'm glad that you agree with me. Everyone's metabolism is different and absorbs food through their system at a different rate. If you've got a strong craving sugar but are not necessarily addicted to the stuff, it's okay to indulge once in a while. It may simply be your body's way of telling you that it requires more sugar. I've encountered people fainting because their sugar levels were incredibly low.
  13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I love sweets and if I could, I would sit down and eat an entire batch of brownies. I had to stop and ended up replacing my sweet cravings with fruit. Fruit has done wonders for me. It gets rid of my cravings and I'm left feeling satisfied.
  14. Tremmie

Oh yes, that often happens to diabetics too (weird, right? One would think their sugar levels would be always high!), more specifically to the daughter of my mom's friend. I saw that happen once and she had to drink one f those small coca colas just to get her sugar up, because coca cola contains loads of sugar. It worked, same for my mom.
  15. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I like how someone else said you can substitute it for healthy things like nuts and fruit. I am so bad at this. I LOVE sweets. And I literally crave them and will think about them until I get them. I have a bad sweet tooth and I'm the same way when it comes to overindulging. If it's there, I'll be the one eating it the most out of everybody.