An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Creating a Love List

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Need some motivation to keep fighting when cravings assail you?

Create a huge list of everything and everyone you love. Then any time you are tempted to start abusing drugs again, whip out your list. Force yourself to choose between drugs and everything and everyone you have on that list. If you choose to keep the things and people you love in your life, you'll turn your back on drugs.

Anyone think this can help?
  2. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Wow that would be such a hard decision ;). That is actually very smart! I might try it myself sometime. Did you think of this up or did you get ideas from else where?
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I really like that idea Rainman. Some people are very visual when it comes to making decisions and this a great way to keep what is important to you in perspective. You can shut your mind off when a craving strikes or you want to do your drug of choice, but when the list is right in front of your eyes, that is harder to ignore.
  4. Devonne

Devonne Member

I did a list sort of like that when I was in the process of battling my pain killer addiction. I made a list of relationships that I wanted to repair, things I wanted to do (a bucket list if you will), and goals that I had for my career and just in life in general. I wrote that list on poster board and kept in on my side of the bed on the wall so I saw it daily. I completed so many things on there but the goal section kind of got all messed up due to me changing my career and going down a different path in life. I know keep a post-it note at my computer that simply says "REMEMBER WHY". Remember why you quit, remember why you are doing what you're doing right now, just remember why I'm doing this (sobriety, work, etc) because you're doing this for those you love.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think this is a good strategy as part of the recovery process from addiction. Having things written down really has it there in black and white - I always find that in general, writing things down rather than just having ideas in my head makes me feel more accountable to them. I do think that making a list of those that you love and want to do right by is a good way of remembering how many people do also love you, and would want the best for you in life.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I like it. I think anything that can make you think twice before reaching for something that will harm you is a good strategy. By reading those names, and realizing how you will hurt those people, I think it will definitely slow some people down. I don't think it will work for everyone, since some people just aren't too that point yet. For the people who really want to stay clean, I think this is a really good idea.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is a great idea. If you feel like going back to your old vices and bad habits, you just have to take out your "love list" and it would surely help you make a good decision.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve made a list like this, and it definitely helps with depression. It reminds me that there are reasons to keep going. So I could certainly see how it could help curb cravings, having a tangible reminder that there are options. You can choose the temporary high, or you can choose something from your love list that will probably have longer-term benefits.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Great idea @Rainman! :) Having a love list is a great motivation for a person to stay sober. It reminds us of the wonderful things we already have and shows us how big our loss would be should we decide to go down the path of addiction. Thank you for sharing this. A great way to start my day! :)
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It certainly can. Sometimes you need a visual and not just a mental picture of the things you care most in the world about. I use to write down my goals on a piece of paper and look at them everyday until I reached them, then I set new goals.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Sounds good to me. The love list seems like something that can definitely help addicts and pretty much anyone who's dealing with any difficult situation. Like JoshPosh said sometimes you need a visual aid to point you in the right direction.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's a good way to ponder your options and what's more important to you when you are tempted to take drugs. If you do value your friends and family, then you won't choose drugs over them. If ever you value drugs more, then that's just sad.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I like this. A love list. Yes this would certainly help someone who needed something to remind them. It's kind of like a gratitude list almost. A love list, a love letter, it would work. Write a love letter to yourself to remind you too. Lol. Love list, this is going to stick in my mind.
  14. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

This is awesome. I have done this mentally before, but it's easier to negotiate with thoughts than it is a physical list that you wrote to fight demons. I definitely agree with what @Adrianna has said. Write a love letter to yourself. You need to remember that you are the most important thing, because without "you", you wouldn't have anyone else. It's hard but it's so important that you remember that you mean something to someone, and you are important.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

List making is a good way to keep your mind engaged. When your mind is engaged in creative thing such as making a list, you will be able to overcome the cravings. You can also write your daily journal, or about your experiences as an article
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wow, I love this idea! I think it will be such a great motivator for people in recovery. When you have that list with you, you will always remember the people you love. And when you think about the people you love, you think about their sufferings from your past and dark times. Would you really want for them to suffer? Because the reality is, when you were an addict, you suffered but they also suffered. From the hurt, the pain, the isolation, everything that drugs has made you do. So when those cravings come in, whip up that list and think about all these things. Choose love instead of drugs.