An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

CVS & Tobacco

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

How does everyone feel about CVS stating that they will no longer sell tobacco? It kind of reminds me of how Walgreens stopped selling alcohol but then realized that money is always going to beat out doing the right thing. If I remember correctly it had something to do with an alcohol related incident in the Walgreen family. I wonder if CVS is going to stick to their guns on this one or find their way back to selling tobacco?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think its very easy for any business to take the moral high ground and say they won't sell this or that, but at the end of the year, if the profits have taken a big hit, I'm sure they'll find their way back to selling them again.

End of the day, it's a business and its about making money.
  3. tckc

tckc Member

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of this. I just googled it and it seems like they really are doing it in an effort to be more health conscious. In my opinion, it does seem like a noble thing to do, at least on the surface anyway. I'm cynical about the effect that it will have though.

Most people will probably just buy cigarettes elsewhere. There might be a few people though, who think, "Okay, I really need to accept that smoking is dangerous. This company is even refusing to sell them." That might have an impact.
  4. pwarbi

To be honest I think your first statement was right, people will just buy them from another store.

I'm a smoker and it wouldn't stop me from smoking, in fact it might even make me determined to smoke more or just stop visiting that store altogether.

Who are they to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing by refusing to sell me cigarettes? I'm not breaking the law by buying or smoking them so surely it's my choice and not theirs?

That's how a lot of people will see it I think anyway.
  5. tckc

tckc Member

I understand what you are saying, and I probably would have thought something similar when I was still smoking. I definitely can't speak for you, but now that I'm a non-smoker, I can really see all of the rationalization I did to keep doing my habit. I would have thought something like, "How dare they judge me?!" but I can see now that I was just in denial. I was not able to quit smoking until I finally accepted that I was slowly committing suicide via cigarette. (And that I did have the power to quit).

Does that make sense? Again, I'm just speaking for myself and how I used to think about smoking. I have no idea what is going on in your head. I think it is possible that smokers who are right at the edge of quitting might have a light bulb go off about this CVS thing.

That is probably just wishful thinking though. But it is nice to see a retail giant take a stand against something that isn't birth control or gay marriage. lol.
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I think it's great actually!

I always thought it was kind of contradictory that at its heart, CVS is a pharmacy....and yet they sold one of the most dangerous legal substances in terms of health. It was just strange that you could pick up both nicotine and your medications to fix the side effects of nicotine in the same place, lol.

They know they're going to lose money and have surely crunched the numbers so I don't think they'll go back.
    tckc likes this.
  7. pwarbi

I do take the point of non smokers, but in a way it's like your local supermarket saying we're not going to sell your favourite ice cream anymore because we think it makes you fat and unhealthy.

I'm sure eating high calorie ice cream does make you unhealthy but who are they to judge? They're a retailer and their job is to sell products that people want and need. so why can't they just do that instead of trying to take the moral high ground?
  8. tckc

tckc Member

My first response to this was, "Well, that is a really good point. I can kind of agree with that." But then I thought about New York banning the giant soda cups - and I have to say that I'm in favor of that. People are stupid, myself included. If we aren't protected from ourselves sometimes, then the money-grubbing corporations will take advantage of us. I think that is what Big Tobacco is doing. I can't really be sure that CVS is trying to "protect" anyone, but I think it is a step that might have a positive influence.
  9. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

That's a good point!

I think the difference is that the grocery store isn't marketing itself as a place you go to fix your health, though. A pharmacy is known for distributing medications for the most part....and most medications are intended to help you in some way or another. Cigarettes on the other hand, don't really fit that MO.
    pineywood likes this.
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I do not think CVS will start selling cigarettes again. I did not hear the background story, you mention. It could certainly factor into their decision. I vaguely remember seeing a commercial about how they wanted to promote health and to sell tobacco products was a conflict of interest. So, I do not think risking their reputation would entice CVS.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It could be a good thing, and maybe they are seeing how it is affecting people and have started to stop selling it and also it is a health store so not a good thing to be selling tobacco. I reckon, that the people's health is more important than selling something that could affect their health and also a good thing it has happened at this time. I will see, what happens later and also it will be interesting to see what is going to happen later on in the year and also it could be a good moral choice as well.
  12. pwarbi

It would be interesting to see if in place of the cigarettes, they start selling all forms of stop smoking equipment, ecigs, vapours, tablets and all the rest of it and just how much profit or loss they make at the end of the year.

I very much doubt if those figures will be released and even if they was I think they would be manipulated one way or another.
  13. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

CVS made this announcement a really long time ago, so you're late to the party. It's going to cost the company about a billion dollars annually in potential sales. However, the positive PR from this move could help offset that, and it's not like the company can't be profitable without tobacco sales. If the company truly cared about our health, then it would stop selling alcohol, too, but you're not going to see that happening anytime soon.