An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dabbing?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by timelord731, Feb 15, 2015.

1. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Does anybody know what dabbing is? I hear it's some kind of super crystallized version of pot that you smoke out a crack pipe. Is any of this true?
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

You're basically smoking a cannabis extract. It's highly concentrated. Like another way of smoking hash. However, the controversy comes from whether you are smoking a solvent or non-solvent extraction.

Chemical solvent (butane, CO2) is blasted through the plant matter which ends up “purging” the solvent away. But these solvents don’t just extract what you're used to smoking (trichomes) – they also pull substances from other parts of the plant thus exponentially increasing your high.
    There honestly hasn't been enough research on this way of smoking to determine whether it is as 'safe' as smoking the plant alone. Though it's definitely not crack-like. I guess you get the crack comparison from the butane lighter? I'm not sure.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Wow!! I had no idea this was around. Interesting to see how weed smoking has progressed. Eventually someday somebody will invent a way to make it a powder form so you can mix it with tang. Or hell snort it.
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I have tried dabbing cannabis concentrates multiple times. If people are going to use cannabis, I would much rather them vaporize a concentrate than inhale burning plant matter into their lungs.

As far as paraphernalia, I have never seen anyone use a crack pipe to vaporize the concentrates. The three most common ways are hot-knifing, using a vaporizer, or using an oil rig.

As a side note, considering cannabinoids aren't water-soluble, you will never be able to use them via insufflation.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This is all very informative. While marijuana is the drug I thought I "knew most" about I read a thread like this and realize I "know nothing" once these complex issues are introduced.

Still at the end of day I am much happier when people choose not the "dabble" with the drug as I know the consequences could be harmful. Still, I will make the subject a matter of further research for my own knowledge.
  6. timelord731

What is hot knifing?
  7. timelord731

Yeah like a glass pipe for vaporizing.
  8. Rob93FL

You use a torch or a stove to heat up a knife, then you use a dabber to drop a little piece of the concentrate onto the hot knife. You can use anything to suck the smoke off of the knife (straw, glass tube, metal tube/piping, pen/mechanical pencil casing, cut plastic bottle, etc.)

is the first video that I found on YouTube.
  9. It's basically concentrated THC. You can smoke it just like marijuana or there are alternatives. Some companies have been making electronic cigarettes that you can smoke it with. As has already been explained it can be smoked via "knife hits" or mixed in with plain marijuana.
  10. timelord731

So, do you know how much more concentrated it is than normal marijuana?
  11. Rob93FL

That depends entirely on how potent the cannabis is, what method was used, what solvents were used, and how efficient the person was at carrying out the process.
  12. Like Rob93FL said above, it's a complicated answer. But I can tell you it is considerably more potent. What would normally be a "bowl" of marijuana can be as powerful as a fairly small ball of "wax." The best way I could think of to get a reasonable answer would be to talk to a medical or recreational marijuana store, and see if they could give you any further information, especially considering it would vary from eachother. I couldn't say that you could ever get a very accurate answer though, there are just too many variables.