An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Damaging the nose?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Miaka_M, May 10, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I've never done cocaine before nor do I know anyone personally who has done it. I did witness people doing it a couple of times and all I can think is "ouch", my nose burns just when I get water up it, how would it feel to get chemicals going up? Would is possibly damage the nose somehow? It's not like normal constant breathing, its more like forced pressure up the nose. So, would that be a possibility of damaging the nose?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Cocaine damages the nose. That's a given fact. As to how it damages the nose, medical experts enumerate:
    • It constricts the flow of blood to the septum, causing a hole
    • Quick intervention can prevent this from happening
    • Septal perforation needs medical intervention to heal (it's not self-healing)
    • Cocaine causes severe damage to the nose's shape and function
    jeremy2 and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  3. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

No question that it damages the nose, like you explain very well xTinx. The nose it's not made to inhale that drug and that often, so actually we are destroying ourselves.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It certainly damages the nose in the long term, obviously depending on how often you have it. In the short term it doesn't, as in when your actually taking it, it doesn't physically hurt, if that makes sense?
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's proven it damages the nose quite profoundly, but this is the least of cocaine's problems. I'd actually preffer cocaine addicts damage their nose than their whole body, given the many risks it has.
    I can't say I haven't tried cocaine, because I definitely did, and I felt quite bad afterwards. I simply preffered that burning nose to be the only sensation you could feel.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Oh, it definitely damages the nose in the long run. However, because cocaine acts as a local anesthetic it numbs any burning sensations that would be experienced by the user anyway. I remember reading an article about one of the guys from the band, Status Quo. He said he used cocaine so much that one day he was in the shower and the cartilage fell out of his nose and went down the plughole! There are many celebrities that are long-term cocaine users who have reported such problems from snorting the stuff. Daniella Westbrook had to have plastic surgery to repair the damage that was done to her nose from using cocaine.
  7. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I heard a lot of people having deviated septum. It was hard for them to even eat.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Damaging the nose is a known long term side effect of it, so yes. Some people are able to work around this by doing it in moderation so their body has time to recover, and from what I understand it only really happens if you do it that much frequently. I think water is a bit harsher though since it is liquid and will make it hard for you to breathe if you inhale it.
  9. sunflogun

These are just terrible consequences of our actions. We are destroying our body for an addiction, we might be a pleasure when we start, but after a while we simply can't live without it regardless of the consequences.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, it seems that damage to the nose is quite common among cocaine users. Particularly with celebrities, that's why they have plastic surgery on a regular basis. I've even heard that some of them have special metal insertions within the nasal path to prevent damage from the drug.
  11. sunflogun

I never thought about that really! I thought plastic surgeries were due to vanity, I never thought it was because of drug abuse.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

No part of the human body was designed to take in drugs or any type of chemicals. It is sad to hear that celebrities have to have plastic surgery to correct this problem and even insert a pipe so that they can continue taking cocaine. I can quite believe it. I think there are more people doing this than we realize.
  13. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It is done as a way of getting drugs straight into the blood stream from what I understand. I imagine it can't be much better than injecting into a small area over and over again. It has to be very damaging and I can't imagine ever doing it. I guess addiction is a powerful motivator to ignore self destructive behavior.
  14. sunflogun

Actually when you put drugs through the nose they go to the lungs, when you are injecting is when they go to the blood stream directly. But you are right, both ways self-destruct us.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I wouldn't say it'a common for celebrities to have plastic surgery for the effects of cocaine abuse but it has been known.

Here in the UK I know of one soap actress that had to have her nose restructured.
  16. sunflogun

And that was because of drug abuse pwarbi? I was just reading that can even cause a hole in the nose, so that is how serious it is.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

That's the one I mentioned above; Daniella Westbrook. Yes, it was because of cocaine abuse and yes, she basically had a huge hole in her nose.

Here is an image of her before her drug abuse:

[​IMG]

Here is an image of her after her drug abuse:

[​IMG]

I suspect that some of it does indeed go to the lungs but the idea behind snorting substances is to get them to the brain quicker. The nasal passages lead directly to the brain. Much of the substance being snorted is also swallowed but the main hit is really on the brain.
    sunflogun likes this.
  18. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I was eating dinner when I read this. Couldn't eat anymore. I feel so sick. *cringe*
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Of course snorting cocaine will damage your nose, in fact everything you'll snort regularly will damage your nose to the point where you might get into complications.
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Yeah, my buddies would watch Jackass movies and Steve Os version of them. There are clips and scenes where his nose would start bleeding at random times. It is known that he uses cocaine, the nose bleeds supports that. I just wanted to change things up and add that to the conversation.