An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Damaging the nose?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Miaka_M, May 10, 2015.

1. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I pretty much believe that cocaine snorting damaging the nose is the least of the problems one should be afraid of. There are far more serious problems that one should look up for. But of course, this is one of the countless reasons one shouldn't try cocaine, ever.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I can't believe that is the same person! She looks totally destroyed when she had a really bright future ahead of her. Forget modeling!
  3. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Your body isn't made for snorting cocaine. Whenever you do something that your body isn't meant to do, you're harming it. Just like how, when someone with anorexia purges after eating, they're damaging their esophagus.
  4. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I will look at those pictures for the longest time, trying to make sense of what happened to her. I understand losing a dangerous amount of weight. I also understand letting her hair go and picking at imaginary drugs. But that doesn't explain all the differences. It looks like her facial bones have melted like candle wax. Its what I consider one of two of the most important cautionary tales I can share with my kids; Lindsy Lohan is the other one.
  5. sunflogun

Well, when we look at that we really don't need to explain a lot, it becomes notorious what drugs do to people...
  6. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

I did cocaine extensively over a period of 3 years and yes I can confirm that it damages the nostrils. I can feel that the soft tissues have been worn thin in some parts of my nostrils. It might not look it but there is a LOT of force and friction involved when you snort cocaine. It would actually hurt like hell if it weren't for the fact that cocaine numbs the inside of your nose as you inhale it. Over time the friction really eats at the soft tissues. Fortunately mine's not as bad as some, I don't have holes inside. I used to regularly find blood on my pillow from nosebleeds at night though.
    LilAnn likes this.
  7. LilAnn

When I was younger and more adventurous, I would crush pain pills and snort them... just looking for that better high. And you're absolutly right... it stings going up your nose when it doesn't numb you.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Well since you are snorting the cocaine, it would make sense that it would be damaging the nose. All those tiny dust particles of cocaine would be irritating and scratching up your nose.
  9. LilAnn

I'm wondering why it'll create the hole, like it does. I think the dust particles are too small to cause that kind of damage, not to mention it doesn't damage the nostril thats on the outside of your nose. I can't think of anything that would explain it damaging the side of the inside nostril and not the inside of the rest of the nose. Not to mention, where you'll get the hole is slightly lower than where the tip of the straw goes, so if it comes into contact with that area, it wouldn't be enough to do that kind of damage.
  10. sunflogun

I don't know the exact answer to that LilAnn, but the tissues in itself start being destroyed and as people are numb they don't even feel it.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Cocaine give you a "wonderful" perforated septum! I remember that when I was in grade school one of my relatives abused cocaine, and she ended up with something like that. It scarred me for life, as it's really horrid, and I never wanted to touch cocaine, or any drug the rest of my life. It hurts only to look at.
    sunflogun likes this.
  12. sunflogun

Sometimes facing something bad we realize we want to follow another path, so even if that was a traumatic experience it kept you off cocaine...
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I definitely knew that guy was on something, but I didn't know what exactly ;) I used to watch ''Wild boyz'' and yes, he acted so crazy like he was definitely on something. I guess he needed it in order to do all those crazy things on TV. I wonder if he is still snorting cocaine?
  14. sunflogun

Many people in the show biz resort to drugs to be at their best, but if they need drugs to be there their success won't last long as they are destroying themselves.
  15. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

The likelihood of nose damage in cocaine abusers is extremely high. Once they have damage to their septum, it cannot be reversed, except with surgery and even then a good surgeon is important so one doesn't end up like Michael Jackson.
  16. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Snorting cocaine has many dangers. One issue I have commonly seen is a deviated septum. That is, when the part that divides the nasal cavity is off center, crooked or sometimes missing. In the most worst situations some have lost that divider entirely. This causes breathing difficulties along with a plethora of other issues. Snorting cocaine can also induce severe headaches. A guy I worked with once thought he had trigeminal neuralgia aka the suicide disease but in all actuality, the bad batches of cocaine he was using made him have severe headaches and until recently he was misdiagnosed.

In all snorting cocaine is dangerous. There are entirely too many health issues that can occur including heart failure.
  17. sunflogun

Most drugs do that, they simply destroy our body and I am even surprised how some addicts can live for so long using those substances.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes I was going to say if someone indulges enough. The nose would bleed. You've got to do a ton of it and on a constant basis. Imagine the damage you are doing when you make yourself bleed like that. A couple of times doesn't do much to your nasal passage.
  19. sunflogun

That is why we need the pain, but with the drugs we don't even feel the alerts the body gives us, it's like we are numb for life.
  20. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Like a lot of other people have said, it definitely damages the nose in the long term, but it doesn't hurt when you do it. I have sensitive eyes and nose (even before use) and it wouldn't burn and I wouldn't get watery eyes or anything.

Nose bleeds aren't as common as they make them out to be in the movies, either. I mean they are common in heavy users, but if you pace yourself and don't do it all the time it's likely to never happen.