An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Damaging the nose?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Miaka_M, May 10, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yep, I agree that just happens in extreme cases, but I think that's the end of the road for many users, losing control totally.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well it is medically proven that cocaine causes damage to the nose and its nasal passage. The erosion of the nasal septum/columella is very likely with sustained cocaine used via snorting.
  3. Dasjdas2

Dasjdas2 Member

I totally think that putting drugs up your nose damages it. I have never and will never put anything in my nose. I hear people complain about boogers being in their nose and turn around and snort grams of cocaine like it is no problem. People tend to offend me when they talk about others but they have the same habit. A good way to tell who if someone snorts is to look for hair in their nose or it being real red. If there is no hair or if it is real red there is a ten percent chance they do it.
  4. sunflogun

Drugs overall damage us, this is just one big example of how they can damage us. If we can look inside of us and see the damage we might be amazed.
  5. AGuyGoon

AGuyGoon Member

I remember the first time I did coke I had congestion and a runny nose. My friend who I was doing the coke with said that it would clear my sinuses and clear out my nose. I was surprised when it actually work, it really did clear out my nose. I did not do many lines that night, but i'm sure if you did a ton of lines you could cause nose damage.
  6. sunflogun

Yeah, I imagine it cleans because it kills everything there, but this is on the short run, on the long run the consequences are others.
  7. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. Something that a lot of people may not know is that cocaine consumption can really take a toll on the nostrils. Recent studies have shown that the toxins found in cocaine damage the soft tissue and cartilage found inside the human nose. Unfortunately, this damage is irreversible!
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think that the possibility of damaging the nose always exists with cocaine. People who use lots of the drug are probably the most likely to get nose damage but I think it could come anytime. This is just another reason not to use cocaine, unless you want to have these problems.
  9. sunflogun

Nose, veins, overall the whole body gets destroyed and we become a shadow of what we were, a sad picture.
  10. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I used to know someone back in high school who did cocaine. He used to be quiet and I never really spoke to him much. In the last couple of years he started looking very sick, his nose I remember most clearly of all, had blistered and almost disfigured. Naive that we were, my friends and I thought he had some kind of illness. It was only years later after he committed suicide that we found out he had been an addict since 15. And I'm sure it wasn't his disfigured nose that led him to kill himself. So it's safe to say, cocaine does much much worse than just ruining the nose. I can't imagine snorting chemicals up my nose, no matter what kind of kick it may give!
  11. sunflogun

Ouch, that is a realistic, but at the same time strong perspective to what happens to cocaine consumers, a good eye opener for everyone!
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

These are horror stories and they should scare the living daylights out of most people! I guess most drug users don't scare that easy. Well I geuss you are not in your right mind when you are taking drugs and you think you are OK. Just look at the damage done here. Addicted people are not able to see what they are doing to themselves.
  13. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

You tend to convince yourself that it's "never going to be you", that you're "not that bad off", and that you "can stop whenever you want to". Horror stories don't scare people who convince themselves not to believe in them.
  14. sunflogun

Yes, but when we are on that stage we can still deny it, the problem is when we face reality it might be too late.
  15. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That info is really valuable to anyone who had doubts about the dangers of coke. The perception is that coke only harms the body from the inside but now its also documented that your nose is at risk as well.
  16. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I'm pretty sure it's always been clear that it harms the nose. There are tons of "jokes" about celebrities who used to do a whole lot of coke and how their noses are completely messed up now. It's just one of those things that doesn't really scare users away from it.
  17. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Oh wow, I have been wondering about this question and am also worried about my buddy who is addicted as I speak. I just spoke to my friend and he says he doesn't do it all the time anymore. This is so nerve wrecking for me and I know he wants to stop. Wow, I even asked him "do you still have a nose" not thinking how serious this question really is. Goes to show you we must be sensitive to these things we know nothing about.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Mephedrone seems to be more of a concern in recent times in the UK as it has become more popular than cocaine and damages the nose a lot quicker. Substances like this usually need crushing up and is not too different from sniffing crushed up glass.
  19. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

The nosebleeds are the worst. I would have to shove cotton balls all the way up both sides of my nose because the blood was literally spraying out of it. If I tried to block one side with cotton, the blood would back up and start coming out the other side of my nose. It was really gross and not something you would want to have happen in a public setting such as work. Thankfully when mine happened I was at home, so I was able to lay down for a few hours. But the nosebleeds would happen unexpectedly and be really severe, not to mention I ruined quite a bit of clothing in the process as well as damaging carpet and furniture. Not to put a band aid on the problem, but they do sell special gauze patches that will quickly stop the bleeding. They have cellulose in them that causes the blood to clot up quickly. They are rather expensive though - like $15 for a pack of just a few of them.
  20. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

There are a lot of messed up things that can happen from what I've seen. Such as nose bleed and constricting blood flow in that area, which causes the hole. I would also assume that if affects your nose's function and it's ability to smell. The brain also takes a hit from this. Medical intervention can help but stopping is your best bet at preventing further damage, obviously.