An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dance it Away!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by pandabear1991, Feb 24, 2015.

1. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I have mentioned my Cymbalta recovery numerous times, but I would like to share a method that I used to help stay active during my depression withdrawals--dancing.

I am a competitive person and I love music, therefore I found that playing my Nintendo Wii with Just Dance games is a great way to stay active and motivated. This method worked well for me during recovery, because it was something I could do in the ease of my home, regardless of the weather. I am very self conscience and during recovery, I also constantly felt liked I was being judged by every stranger.

I cold also do my daily Sweat Routine, and still play later if I found myself bored or thinking off in a negative direction. The music and the fact that you are competing for stars, medals, and gifts helps to keep you motivated. I would recommend this method for anyone struggling to stay physically active period, but especially during recovery. ^.^
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

What a lovely title for a thread!

Even though a Just Dance thing is actually fun and can be done at home -- I mean, you actually need the console and the game etc. I like zumba videos and dancing tutorial videos, I play them at home and get a bit of a workout this way. No gamification, I just enjoy it, really. But maybe because I enjoy the real live classes of zumba?
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  3. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

never good when it comes in dancing. I only dance behind the curtains of my shower room.
  4. pandabear1991

Thanks!

I actually have some Zumba videos (some are better than others), but I personally prefer the Just Dance 7 Day Sweat Challenge. The Wii does have to be bought, but right now the regular Wii itself can easily be found at pawn shops with accessories for $40. Games usually cost like $5-$10 used. I can't say the same for new games. But I also game a good bit so having a Nintendo Wii was a must for personal reasons.

I also found this one video/dvd for belly dancing called The Goddess Workout. I like using this 50 minute video because its not very fast paced, not exhausting, and really helps to open up Chakra :)
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know that it worked for you and thanks for sharing cause it could also work for others. :)
    It is also a good way to maintain healthy body or be fit in a fun way. Can also be used together with family and friends.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's definitely great to hear. Sometimes, a bit of completion may provide good motivation. Job well done! ;)
  7. bluedressed

Belly dancing!

Well, dancing for me is sort of a challenge, because I have no sense of rhythm and bad coordination. Belly dancing is an extra challenge because of the "moving body parts separate" thing, but somehow, despite all of this, I really love dancing, and I always wanted to learn to belly dance!

Looked up the Goddess Workout on youtube and sure enough, a blonde chick with belly dancing vids came out. Usually, I try to keep up with the "Dance with Julianne" video (especially the one with cardio ballroom dancing sessions)

Anyway, thanks for the rec, will have to check it out! :) Always good to shape up.
    pandabear1991 and Winterybella like this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I just saw the word and I just want to get up and move. I love to dance. I just wish the old knees would cooperate, not to mention I am in bad shape physically. Some months ago I got hooked on a Zumba for beginners on You Tube and was going really well. Then I missed a day, then two, then a week and the rest is history. I should go do something later.

Bluedressed even with no rhythm, it's great fun. Belly dancing..........that's another story.
    stariie and pandabear1991 like this.
  9. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Love this suggestion. Even if you are not able to join a dance club or class, dancing itself relieves so much stress. Dance in the mirror. Dance on the bed. Dance ANYWHERE. Releasing stress is important in staying sober. Do not let it bottle up inside of you.
    pandabear1991 and Winterybella like this.
  10. pandabear1991

Not a problem! If it makes you feel any better, I won't do the Goddess Workout in front of anyone. I am way to self conscience, but I try.

I forgot to mention one other thing-- she mentions in a very sexy way how learning some of those moves can help in the bedroom. I am not exactly sure what she was referring to, and I wish I did know so I could explain... but my orgasms seemed to come easier and more complete, and intercourse in general just feels better. Not sure if it will do the same for others but it did it for me :3
  11. pandabear1991

I actually face this problem often. I have mentioned in other posts that I struggle with Fibromyalgia, but this is one of the ways I help manage it. When holidays come up or I have a lot to get done in a day (I travel a lot running errands for my Dad, he is a truck driver so I have to cash his check and pay his bills over an hour away from home), I tend to slack off when I shouldn't.

I just need to set an annoying alarm on my phone for those days I am just ignoring the need to exercise, or in my case dance. I tend to get lazy about it when I know I shouldn't, just because I missed a day or two.
    stariie likes this.
  12. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Its just unfortunate that have two left feet lol! But I do make up with online dancing games like Mstar Online. Dancing is just a lovely way to express one's self and its also quite a popular hobby for children and youths. You don't need education, money or anything else to be able to dance. Just to have the passion for it is more than enough. Dancing is also such a wonderful way to rehabilitate people just take that prison in the Philippines, instead of using force to keep the inmates behaving, the warded got them to get along effortlessly through dancing. They were even chosen by Michael Jackson's old crew to shoot a video dedicated to the late King of Pop.

CNN Interview

Michael Jackson's This Is It - They Don't Care About Us - Dancing Inmates HD
    Winterybella and pandabear1991 like this.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Omg I love this! I actually used Just Dance on the Wii to shed my after baby weight. It was the only thing that worked after two years of being a little over my ideal weight. I live my life "dancing as if no one is watching". It gets the endorphins going and gets the heart pumping. Thanks for sharing this!
  14. bluedressed

Dancing IN the mirror might be a weird experience.

But I do dance in supermarkets when they have the radio on!

@pandabear1991 : well the sex life/orgasm thing is a great incentive, isn't it? I'd expect part of it comes from the body isolation+fluidity of the movements and the consciousness of the body.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is very good advice. I think this new technology is great and definitely should be taken advantage of. Back then the closest to this you could get was probably an aerobics tape and those can get stale really fast whereas this game gives you some points and achievement initiatives so it probably will keep you entertained for a very long time, not to mention it will keep your mind off of a lot of your worries and problems for a while and it even keeps you fit.
  16. shmangie

shmangie Member

I love that idea, I think that is a great way to get yourself back in a healthy mood. I've known quite a few people who have suffered from depression and the one thing I have always suggested was to get moving. To dance it out, to go out and dance with people, or at home. Just blast the music and have a good time. Even if someone has had one bad day, my advice was always to just dance. I know that helps me.
  17. BethBrown

BethBrown Member

I am a terrible dancer. I hate to dance in front of people. Sometimes I just turn on music in my room and dance like crazy. I feel ridiculous, but sometimes I think it's good for you to feel ridiculous. It keeps me from getting stuck up. If nothing else, it makes me happy and that is what's important.
  18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

You know what I think would help with the idea of this? A friend who encourages you to dance . That's it. Nothing complicated just an overbearing friend pulling you to the dance floor. In the end you'll love it.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Dancing away your problems honestly helps so much. Even if you have no rhythm or if you cannot dance/have two left feet, it's ok! It's not about what other people think and it is not about what you look like. It's about how you feel.
  20. pandabear1991

That is one reason I am so sad about being moved away from all of my girlfriends. It was a nightly thing for everyone to come over to my place after work, and we all had a dance battle, mainly to help forget about the stress from work. Even when the plant shut down and we all had to find new work, we still met up and had weekend get-togethers just to dance and see who could bring in the new high score.

It has been a bit harder to stay motivated dancing by myself, but I'll manage. Sure do miss my friends though.