An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dance it Away!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by pandabear1991, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Are you able to look into a way to dance with them online? Does Just Dance have an option like that? You might be able to circumvent the distance & still dance with your friends.
    Matthodge1 and pandabear1991 like this.
  2. bombshell

bombshell Member

I am with you @pandabear1991 I love to Zumba my stress away. I dance alone at home with Zumba videos all the time and feel great after wards. One it takes focus which clears my mind of everyday stresses and two it helps shed the weights I have gained in recovery. I really appreciate you sharing!
    stariie and pandabear1991 like this.
  3. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Ya know, the regular Wii doesn't offer the online multi-player mode. I didn't even think to check the Wii-U for this!
    I didn't even think about an online mode! But you are so spot on with this. Apparently with the 2014 Just Dance game, an online multiplayer mode was introduced. It is showing that the game was released for Wii, Wii-U, Xbox360, PlayStation3, XboxOne, and PlayStation4. I have really got to get updated with the new games and features.

I am going look for a copy of the game this weekend. Can't wait to try it our with my long distant friends!
  4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I'm ashamed to admit that I never did acquire a love or even a 'like' of dancing. Coming from a family of dancers this was a bit of a surprise to them. I guess I never had the right company growing up. Even my wife's not much of a dancer although she tells me she used to dance a lot when she was young. Knowing that, I sometimes think of getting lessons just so I could surprise her one of these days.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As they said if you had problems..."You dance it with the music.." When you had worries in your mind and feel stress dancing is good to uplift your spirit and to clear away your negative thoughts. It is also relaxing to our body after we dance and got perspired and its a great feeling!
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Dancing certainly is a good diversion - something to keep your mind off depressing thoughts which could lead to all sorts of unpleasant coping mechanisms. Dancing's also a good form of exercise, but more lively and enjoyable than the routine gym exercises. You can always buy Zumba workout videos should you need a respite from Just Dance. Oh, I particularly like the Whip My Hair dance moves. It's one of my favorite Just Dance selections.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

You could probably just Skype, FaceTime or Oovoo with your friends and play Just Dance with them.
  8. jon

jon Active Contributor

That is great. I'm sure its very entertaining and keeps the blues away and the focus off of substance abuse. I always wanted to become really good at dancing. Its so much fun.
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Dancing is a really great idea for people in recovery. First, dancing requires you to put your thoughts into it either by requiring you to memorize the steps or think of the next move. Secondly, dancing requires you to move a lot, which is a great exercise on its own and can improve the overall health of your body. Finally, dancing also makes your heart feels uplifted because of those songs that are being played while dancing. So, it simulates your body, your brain, and your ear so you have triple impacts there.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, video games and games that can make you move your body like Dance, Dance Revolution is a great way to be preoccupied and to help in your recovery. It is very much recommended and convenient too if you own a gaming console, you won't get out of the house anymore just to exercise.
  11. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Dancing can be a great way to get your mind off of things. I know when I need a boost I turn the music up and dance away.
  12. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Perhaps? I like your idea to get lessons, but honestly I have found that learning in my own home and convenience works best for me. I'm a cheapo anyways! But I was in Marching Band for several years so staying in time came natural. The hardest part for me when it comes do dancing, is being comfortable with myself enough to do it in front of others. I don't have this problem with close friends, but when I can tell others are being judgmental or perverted about it, I tend to clam up.

I sincerely hope you can eventually dance with your wife, could be a very fun new hobby for you both. I can only hope my husband will dance with me--can't tell if he won't because he is lazy or just not into dancing.
  13. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Probably just self-conscious and not used to the idea like me. I was always a natural learner for most of my life and I took pride in that; I never really backed down from a challenge. But dancing just gives me a different sort of anxiety and makes me look like a fish out of water.
  14. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

lol...I too have been guilty of dancing in a supermarket aisle from time to time. Dancing just comes naturally when we're happy and sometimes we don't care where we are.

In my case singing, too, will just come bubbling up like a fountain.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at either so I feel for my husband sometimes, but I don't intend to let that stop me. He likes me happy anyway, so he never complains.

Another thing about both dancing and singing. Not only, as I said does it come naturally when we're happy; but if we're not so happy, either one can be a great mood elevator.

And singing can really help when you get an attack of the nerves.
  15. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Haha, same.

What I think needs to be emphasized is that, anything that we do when we're happy helps when we're unhappy. "Fake" laughing, fake smiling, dancing, singing -- the whole "fake it until you make it" trite actually is true, you sort of trick your brain into believing yourself more happy.
  16. scootpony

If you are a genuinely happy person as a rule, it works. Not so well, though, if there is any serious depression.

My mother used to swear by it and faked it for years.

Everyone always thought she was the happiest person they'd ever known, but in her later years it became apparent that she was a most seriously depressed person who had probably been so for a good part of her life. I believe that it was peace she needed most and that she never really found the source of it, nor even really knew that's what she needed.
  17. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Ah, but depression is a whole other subject. My godmother also used to be one of these people we thought to be always happy -- up to the moment when she tried and failed to commit suicide, and then disappeared and was found dead. But this goes about the hormone and chemical balancing, so the same way that some chocolate and a massage would not fix the problem the way it would cheer up someone else, "faking happiness" would not trick their brains, because it would not have the same weight as the chemical cocktails that is already tricking them to think themselves hopeless and sad.
    scootpony likes this.
  18. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Dancing is one of my favorite things to do, I don't do a lot of it though. I think it's great to move and dance if this is something that you are into. It's good for you, gets the heart rate up, keeps the joints loose, keeps the weight down, makes one feel good. I like everything about dancing, and reading all these posts here has made me want to dust off some old dance videos and dvd's, or find something online and start moving again.
    scootpony likes this.
  19. scootpony

Absolutely so!

I just wanted to bring it up because I think that sometimes people tend to not see the distinction between a little funk and a chronic (and crippling) problem. Particularly, I think, sometimes the depressed person their self misses that distinction when you would think it would not be possible to do so.

I think my mom must have missed it as your godmother must have also. Either that or they just didn't want to admit that there was something going on inside that they couldn't fix in and of themselves--which is also a very clear possibility. People do not like what they perceive as weakness in themselves.
  20. scootpony

I jog pretty much seven days a week. Not too far anymore. At least two miles and sometimes more, especially more if I am at my horse camp and have access to the dirt roads and trails out there.

Anyway, it just makes me feel good and sometimes within the jog I'll start throwing in some old dance steps I learned as a child just for fun and to make my own self laugh. In some ways, I definitely want to be like a child forever.

Never forget what it's like to go puddle sploshing.:)
    bluedressed likes this.