An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dangerous experience

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Carnold23, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I would like to share something that happened to me that was a real turning point in my addiction. This is something that made me really realize how dangerous my life was, and how drugs could really kill me if I didn't stop.
    I was at a party down at the big park in city. I was with some friends that I did not know well. I had been taking pills all night, and then someone offered me some and I'm not sure what they were. I took them and then I remember walking away from the group. Next thing I know I am being shook awake by a guy, and I am soaking wet. He told me that he had found me asleep in the river.
    This is an extremely foggy memory, but I remember being in his car and he bought me a coke. I don't remember going home but I remember arriving home. If it was not for that man I'm not sure if I would be alive today.
    The really strange thing is for about 3 days after that I don't have alot of memory. People told me I did things that I don't remember doing. I remember bits and peices, I remember being in a clothing store and crying my eyes out for some reason. I still wonder to this day what I took, and what could cause memory loss like that.
    This incident was a major lesson to me, and it brought me to reality very quickly about how bad my drug problem really was.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That moment when you think that you might have done stupid things but don't remember is a frightening one.
    Hangover+regret+fear of the unknown.
  3. NyX82

NyX82 Member

I've had nights like that and it definitely is a terrifying feeling missing a huge chunk of time when you have no clue what happened. I'm sorry that happened to you but thankful that it was a big wake up call for you. You were lucky because it could have ended far worse. Glad you're alright now!
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That must have been very scary. Sorry that you had to go through that but glad it was the wake up call that you needed. Who knows what you took that night. That is the thing with pills. People just take them not knowing what they are or what harmful things they can do to them.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Any kind of toxic substances like drugs, alcohol etc can really put's one life into danger and possibly loss of life. That is why before a certain person will try to use this kind of substances should think a hundred times because when a person is already hooked with this all things might go wrong that you might regret in the end. I am sorry for what had happened to you and that incident should really be a lesson well learned for you to see the reality of what drugs can do to a person's life.
  6. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

It is good you took the lesson into serious consideration, I had the same trouble with previous addictions leading me to quit using drugs entirely. It's a very scary life to live and experiences are very hard on you at times. You need to quit and move forward in your life so engulfed in your own success that you forgot that it even happened.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Such a pretty scary experience, @Carnold23. Thanks for sharing, and for the warning too. That man has been your life-saver. I guess you were lucky then. Anyway, I am glad that this experience somehow made you realize some things. And I wish this would never happen to you ever again.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This story is terrifying. I never got to this point, but I'm sure I would have if I kept on the path that I was going. I'm glad to see that you are living a sober life now. I've never blacked out completely, so the idea of waking up in a river and not knowing how I got there gives me the creeps. I can only imagine how scared you were when arriving home.
  9. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. My favorite part about this forum is we can all share our experiences without fear of judgement, and we know we will get support. Thank you all so much.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Carnold23... Thanks for sharing that frightening story with us. I'm so glad it served as a wake-up call for you. I hope others who read your story might take steps to improve their lives before something that scary happens to them.

Thanks for being a part of this community. We're glad you're here!