An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dangerous Teenagers

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 1, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I read in the papers a week ago about a teenager who was constantly on Marijuana and did not recognize his mom when he attempted to hack her to death but she was rescued by neighbors.

Teenagers exposed to this substance at an early age because of wealth and lack of guidance usually pose a threat to society. What is the best way to educate addicted rich children?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the best way is to educate them before they got addicted to it not after they are already hooked. They should be aware of the dangers of it and there should be proper guidance in discussing it.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I agree that prevention is better than cure. Education is the one of the best and only ways we can help younger people quit and more importantly, stay away from drugs, especially easily accessible ones such as marijuana and nicotine.
    There should also be severe penalties if they are caught using drugs, such as community service or something else that is a good punishment but of course safe and child friendly. Parents should also make an effort to help their children. When I was a teenager, many of my friends parent's didn't care if they smoked and drank alcohol, even right in front of them. Things like that give kids a positive outlook on drugs, becoming oblivious to their negative effects. So education is the way forward for that kind of thing.
  4. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

You are absolutely right. I would go along with that unlike adults, the teen’s brain is dynamically developing and often will not stop until the mid-20s. Marijuana during this period can have enormously detrimental impact, affecting on teen’s ability to progress and grow on several fronts, including - emotional development, character, college retention, social interactions
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Could you please post a link if you have one?
    I highly doubt that marijuana alone would lead to this sort of thing.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana has that effect on some people but since it could be anyone — you can't tell how marijuana will affect anyone it's the parents duty to try to debunk the myths their kids have heard about Marijuana. But they [the parents] have to be honest because if they try to color up their stories and make up "facts" that are supposed to instill fear, it might prove to be counter-productive.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I guess this kind of news is no longer very shocking nowadays because we always hear news on crimes and violence being done because of the influence of Marijuana and other drugs or substances. It is really important to educate our children early on about the negativities of addiction and how it can destroy their lives significantly. It is also important to let our children feel our presence and openness. Let them feel that they can approach us anytime with whatever concerns they are feeling. Most children tend to resort to substances and drugs if they feel like they don't have anyone to turn to when it comes to their concerns.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

We need more info on this story, marijuana should not affect someone like that unless they already had severe underlying mental problems or unless they were smoking synthetic weed or weed laced with something else. Unfortunately, no-one really knows what they're buying when buying off the streets. Dealers could be selling synthetic weed to unexperienced users and telling them that it's marijuana.
  9. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I have never heard of anyone doing this from smoking marijuana constantly. I would think there is more to the story than that and there were probably underlying mental conditions. The teenager may have been on more than just marijuana. Or maybe that is his excuse to try to get out of the responsibility of his actions. Anything is possible, but you usually find out there is more to the stories than when they are first reported.
  10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Maybe it was synthetic weed? I have to concur with other posters who are skeptical that marijuana is potentially a scourge to society, emanating from wealthy kids. REALLY having a hard time buying that.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've noticed that substance abuse is prevalent among wealthier kids. There's a private school nearby which has many students from wealthy families. I've heard that a large number of the student body is addicted to all sorts of substances, and the dealers are always hanging around the school periphery. I think the parents, principals and teachers need to be more vigilant.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The usage of marijuana during the early stages of growth is linked to a lower IQ, that has been proven. I think using marijuana during such a important growth phase is really dangerous, marijuana usage has been linked to a lot awful side effects when used long term, specially if you start young. It's just awful :(
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That sounds like such baloney. I guarantee you that kid was on far more than just marijuana. I have never heard of a kid high on pot turning into a knife wielding monster. And what does wealth have anything to do with it. There's probably just as many non-wealthy people that smoke pot.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have never in my life heard of marijuana causing this type of reaction. There could have been other drugs involved. The most common side effects to marijuana aren't this extreme. Then of course there could be underlying issues.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yes I have heard that marijuana can alter with your memory, but not that extreme? I never knew about that story and it somehow makes me scared for most of the kids who smoke in my school. Wow!