An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dangers Of Weed!

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Ameensla, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ameensla

Ameensla Member

Hi i'm a 19 year old man and i'm going to share a story about me and smoking weed since i was 15. The first time I smoked it was at a friends house and I got super high, my friend, who was 17 at the time was used to it so he didn't get as stoned as me. I enjoyed it and told myself that was the last time I would ever do it. A week later I asked that same friend if he knew where to get some weed and he got me in touch with a dealer. I went to the guy and he gave me 1 gram. I went home later that day and chopped it up. I smoked about 2 bongs and I was comfortably high. After I ran out of weed I went to buy some more and I just kept spending money on it every time I didn't have any. Until one day when I got caught being high at school. The school called up my parents and I was suspended until further notice. Both my parents sat me down at home and explained all the dangers of weed like it was a bad thing. What I didn't notice at the time is that it was pulling me away from those who loved me e.g my parents and siblings. It also made me have major mood swings. Back to what my parents were saying to me. They gave me a choice after they explained the horrible things it does to your body. The two choices were either family or drugs. Now this meant I could choose drugs and continue doing them and get kicked out with nowhere to go, or I could stay at home and stop doing them. I was being stubborn and I asked "Will you give me money to support me if I move out" and they said "No, you will be kicked out and you will see none of us for the rest of your life" and that really did get to me. So since that day I haven't smoked any weed or touched any drugs because of the affect it had on me and the people surrounding me. So all I'm asking from each and everyone of you guys reading this is think about what you are doing and who it is affecting, that is all.
  2. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Inspirational! Lost for words here! I think your parents are awesome! They did the best thing. I know it's hard but they took the right steps. Three cheers for your parents!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello, Ameensla! I am happy to hear that you have finally realized the bad effects and dangers of smoking weed. Thus, you have totally quit doing it now. I agree, think about a hundred times before trying to use harmful substances. These drugs will never do anything good to you, but will just ruin your whole life.

Anyway, I hope this would be sustainable. Have a great life!
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good for you that you have realized what matter more than your using of weed. Right that getting into those substances, you can affect the people around you not just yourself.
  5. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Wow this story was very touching! My parents would act the same way if I was on drugs and causing mishaps. It is really great how protective parents can be about drugs since they want their child to be save and healthy. Be blessed you have caring parents!
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I can relate to the major mood swings. I remember crying on the street at night for no reason as I was walking because the high effect of the weed had already worn out at that time, so I was depressed all of a sudden. Weed is never really good for you, so I'm glad that you have come to your senses to stop taking it.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

Most addicts can never do anything without weed. They can do whatever it takes to get it first and then continue with their work. Weed makes most people lazy and dirty to a point that even taking a shower is difficult. It affects one's brain that impairs their judgement. Other become rough and rude always ready for war. It can make one to have no concentration to important matters. People use a lot of money to get weed instead of using the money for development projects hence making one's progress difficult.
  8. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

In hindsight it seems like your parents made the right decision. I think they were a little on the edge though, because if they would have kicked you out, then that would have been worse than you simply smoking the weed. At any rate, good to see that you aren't smoking anymore. There's really no point to doing it if you are healthy young person.
  9. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Thank you, @Ameensla for sharing your story on how you quit smoking marijuana. It is refreshing to hear that someone as young as you are chose family over drugs. Many teenagers would have said "See ya," and that would be the last their parents heard from them. What these teens do not realize is that family/having loved ones really is all that matters.
  10. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Yes, weed does give you mood swings and can make you pull away from people in a way. I have seen it happen. Does it mean there aren't still good things about it? No, it can still help lots of people. But there are drawback with it. Some say it depends on the strain, some say it's personality. Who knows? But it is something to keep in mind.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Ameensla: I'm sorry about what you had to go through. you started smoking weed at a very young age...no one should smoke weed at that age when the young brain is developing...it could change the brain structure in a bad way permanently...
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Weed can be addictive. Lots of pro-weed advocates claim it's not addictive but a little honesty would save would be addicts some pain. Anyone who wants to experiment or use weed for anything other medical purposes ought to keep that in mind because after using it for some time psychological dependence will follow.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am happy to hear that you made the right choice and did what was best for you. Some teenagers would be stubborn and leave only to put their life into a downward spiral. You did the right thing. I commend your parents are being such awesome parents and for making you realize what you were doing to yourself and your life. You sound like a very smart young man.
  14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

What a truly inspirational story. From the quality of your post, you clearly are an intelligent and clear-thinking person. I rarely ever meet anyone near my own age (44) who is a long term smoker who displays the same qualities, even though some of them had blindingly quick intelligence when they were younger. Its true that of all the smokers I have ever known, only a few have died, and only a few have gone on to other, harder drugs, some of them are even quite successful, and many of them are hard-working tax payers, just like me. But none of them are particularly sharp mentally anymore, the effects of 20+ years of smoking dope every day has dulled the minds of each and every one of them, its nice to know that you won't be joining their ranks, in 20 years you'll see the same effects in the people you know who've always smoked it, its quite depressing really.
  15. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Great story! So many people think marijuana is harmless. Your story shows an aspect of how marijuana abuse can have a negative effect on the abuser and their loved ones. I'm glad you were able to quit and stay drug free!
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Beautifully said! Thank you for sharing your story, Ameensla. May people, young or old, be inspired to change for the better after reading your story. Many insist that marijuana, compared to other drugs, is not that harmful. They forget that as a psychoactive drug, it is just as potent as other drugs. Hopefully your experience will serve as an eye-opener.
  17. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story! I started smoking weed a little older than you. I don't know how kids can smoke weed. I was in college and I could barely deal with what was happening with me. It is so dangerous!
  18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Thanks for the inside view of what it was like to be in your situation. Too many young people think it's cool to get high without knowing the consequences. And then you have some who will choose drugs over family and then they end up with so many problems. I gotta give credit to your parents for hanging in there for you versus doing nothing and letting you slip between the cracks.
  19. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

While I'd normally disagree with such reckoning, now I'll make an exception, since marijuana is bad when it starts to interfere with your normal life habits. Glad you've been caught, and I'm sure you feel the same way. Inspiring story!
  20. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

What a great anecdote Ameensla. I applaud your parents for putting you in the position where you had to analyze what was really important in your life. Thanks to all your efforts you were able to get out of that vice just in time, before it ultimately escalated into a serious problem, or escalated to you using a more dangerous drug.