An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dark days and weak Moments

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by tasha, Mar 1, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is not always easy to stay sober and that will be something that you will have to face for the rest of your life, what you need to remember is that you have a life to live now and that is thanks to giving up on something that could have ended you altogether.
    Some days are bad some days good but you take them as they come and with the hard days and your weakest moments, always remember that you have survived something that nobody thought you would get through and at your weakest moment know that you are strong and your darkest hour know that you are not alone.
    Take the time each day to celebrate your life and thank the heavens above for your second chance to have the life you wished for.
    Always remember that there is someone out there that can listen to you, stand by you and help you through the moments when you feel down but while you do feel down and you feel alone......look up and take a deep breath and appreciate that you are able to do so!! and who made that possible......you!
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. This is really true. Always be thankful of what you have right now, of the life you are still living, and all of the little things around you. Be grateful that with everyone's help and with your willingness and determination, you have surpassed and survived lots of things life has offered to you.
    kana_marie likes this.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone; we all have dark days from time to time. It's not just a part of recovery, it's a part of life. A big part of why I post on these forums is because I want to let the people on here know that I've been there before. I wasn't alone then either; I had my family and friends to help me and give me comfort through those trying times. Now I'm hoping I can do the same for you guys here. We may live in different states, or you could be halfway around the world right now, but know that there are people here like me that genuinely care and are willing to listen.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I always advise anyone who thinks they are depressed to call to mind the fact that there's someone else somewhere out in the world who is having a harder time than you. That in itself is a good reason to be grateful for . . . everything. Creating a huge list of things which are grateful can be a good idea. Each time you feel depressed, all you need to to do exorcise the depression is to take a look at your list.
    kana_marie and pandabear1991 like this.
  5. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

This is very good advice--especially for someone who is still struggling in recovery.

I myself have been struggling a bit lately. One of the best things to remember was that even though I felt trapped, powerless, and above all not able to move forward, I still have a choice to do what's best and there is so much more cruelty in the world than what I am going through. If I keep giving into the negative things in life, I will never seek my way into what is positive, regardless of the situation.

Thanks @tasha for sharing these strong encouraging words!
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In my weakest moments I always sought out a quiet spot in nature to reflect on my life and recharge. At times the stress from dealing with mental overload almost drove me insane. The only way I could stay on the straight and narrow was by taking myself to a forest or the beach. Especially the beach always had an immediate cleansing effect on me. And after just spending a few hours or a couple of days in silence and letting things emerge and dissipate from my troubled inner self, I usually felt a great relief.
    kana_marie and pandabear1991 like this.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Well said. I think the most common misconception is that addicts can be cured and once they flip that switch they won't crave anymore, but nothing could be farther from the truth as an addict will most likely have those cravings so it is best to shape your mind to combat it better. Also, learning to accept that there will be bad days will ultimately help in keeping realistic goals and also keep people from getting too disappointed once it does happen.
    kana_marie likes this.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

It may help to reflect back to times before you started drinking/doing drugs, and how you dealt with difficult situations back then, to remind yourself that you can do it now as well without having to fall back on your vices.

One major thing I struggle with is getting fired up really easily, and my anxiety shoots through the roof. All someone has to do is say one little thing to push my buttons, and it sets me off. I was never like this in the past, but now it will totally throw me off for hours, if not days when I have encounters like this - to the point where I am really wanting to grab a bottle and try to erase it from my head by getting plastered.
  9. tasha

You hang in there because it takes strength to get to recovery in the first place and once you have got yourself there then yes some days are dark but you are the maker of your own destiny and there is a whole new wonderful world out there for you to be a part of!!! stay strong
  10. tasha

Taking each day one at a time is a good step because concentrating on the rest of your life is a lot to take in especially when you have recently come into recovery. The fact that you are alive, you are present and you can focus on something else is already enough to get you through a day. Take it slow and make sure that you have a buddy to help you
  11. rae

rae Member

Thank you for all or the advice.I read them and I really needed that right now.so thank you! I am in recovery since Oct.17,2014.I used opiates/heroin for almost 18years,and I been doing good so far.I put myself in detox and right from there into inpatient program,and now I am outpatient.I been having rough few days here at home.my cousin and I live in the same spot.we have for years,and that's another story by itself,I get into that later.lol but anyways,its been crazy here and I'm doing all I can do not to walk out that door and do something I will regret.I just don't get it,why people have to be so messed up in their head?my cousin is really gone nuts.and she has never used drugs/alcohol.but she does have bipolar disorder and szophrinea?well and she gets all nuts and just like don't leave me alone.I want to move bad.I want out,and I just don't want to hurt her by moving.and we have a little chiuawa 7years old,and I raised her since she was newborn.and my cousin always say if I move I cannot have "Nikki".(my baby chiuawa)this is really crazy stuff.I am trying so hard to do what i need to do to stay clean.and I am at almost 22weeks now.that's the longest I be clean,and I'm happy about that.well I just needed to vent,thank you all very much and have a Blessed Day!
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

We all go through ups and downs. What is important is to stay focused on the end result. Just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you have to give up. You just have to keep going and try again the next day. Little by little you will achieve your goal.
  13. AskLaplace

AskLaplace Member

Thanks for posting this. I always think to myself 'this days will pass'. I always coin myself with things like 'step by step'. Life is not a quick one time epic move that gives you happiness in a snap. Failure happens all the time and I need to take the next step and keep moving forward. In my darkest days I am comforted by a small closed group of people. And with their help I have come up with always looking forward 'step by step'.
  14. AskLaplace

AskLaplace Member

Oh, by the way guys, I felt like linking a video. The thread made feel like this.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Life is really full of ups and downs but we should realize that after those dark days and weak moments that you had gone through there is always light to bring back the sunshine into your life. We should never give up and lose hope. If you are hurt or you had failed there is no reason you will not be healed and win back your old life. Everyday is a journey and we should cherish more our existence in this world and live our life to the fullest.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If you are familiar with Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez, author of the phenomenal book One Hundred Years of Solitude, he said this beautiful line which still moves me every time I remember it: "There is always something left to love." I think that for a person to be receptive to recovery, he must be willling to accept the love and support family and friends are offering to him. By denying them the opportunity to shower you with their love, you reduce your chances of full recovery. Pride and embarrassment should be the least considerations. These are normal emotions but when you talk about recovery, you have to let go and let love and acceptance heal you.
  17. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

That is exactly what keeps my spirits up during a time of depression. Any sinister thoughts that cross my mind are negated by the love and support of my friends and family. Without them, we are nothing. You'd have to be extremely emotionally stable in order to undergo the rough times all by yourself. Whatever the case, I hope your motivation's strong enough to effectively suppress your addiction. Good luck.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Reaching out to to other people, whether in person or in forums can definitely help a recovering addict feel supported. They must need someone who can listen to their fears and concerns so that they will not feel alone in this world. They must avoid bottling everything inside, since that will only lead to depression.