An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Day 2 of quitting!

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Today is day two of quitting ciggarettes!! I started yesterday and I have to say I am not doing so well :(
    Drinking lots of ice water to get me through.
    I find it especially hard when I'm drinking coffee because my natural reaction to having a coffee is having a smoke. And I don't think I can get through quitting both right now.
    MichelleVL likes this.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well two days is quite early to say you have quit for sure but just take it one day at a time and if you get that crave just get some chewing gums or drink some fruit juice or do something that takes your mind off smoking. Good luck with your journey!
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Day two is no mean feat. This is the time when nicotine withdrawal symptoms are at thier worst. The good news is that it will pass within 3-4 days. Don't even consider giving up your coffee just yet - caffeine withdrawal is the absolute pits.

How about changing the way you drink the coffee? I don't mean through a straw or from a sippy cup, I mean sitting in a different room, listening to the radio instead of being in front of the television, that sort of thing. You could even take your coffee outside and concentrate on inhaling the fresh air. Visualize yourself breathing in clean air and exhaling black toxins.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Congratulations on making it through to day two without smoking a cigarette. Indeed, it's going to be tough for the next couple of days or even weeks. But that shouldn't discourage you from the path that you've taken. You've made the right decision and your health will only benefit. Just stay the course and you'll look back to these days, fondly.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Do not give up, it is a good start already. Just try to find more motivation or reasons to stop smoking. It will benefit you and your loved ones since you will be healthier and happier later on when you finally kicked out the addiction.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I was able to quit cigarettes but not coffee. I think it's a much harder habit to break. ;) But anyway, congratulations. You're on your way to becoming nicotine free. It may be quite a bumpy ride, but I know you can do it. Keep on going. :D
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Two days is a good start. You have to start somewhere and I am proud of you for taking the first steps to being smoke free. Before you know it weeks, months and even years will have passed and you will be smoke free. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. We are cheering you on from afar.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I found that the first day was the easiest as I was motivated to quit, but days 2 and3 I stuggled more as my body started to crave the nicotine and my willpower was tested to its limits.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Make it through day three and then day four. Motivate yourself and I am sure you will quit smoking. Never give up!
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that's the key factor here, never give up. Even if you do succumb for a day, don't see it as a failure, just start the next day afresh and try and last longer than you did the first time.

Giving up smoking isn't easy, but it can be done. If others can do it, then there's no reason why you can't also.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

If I could make it through 2 whole days without a smoke, I would quit for sure. The first two days are as hard as it gets, in my opinion.
  12. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

You can do it! Making it through the first two days is the ultimate test. If you could quit cold turkey, I think many people here will be inspired by you. Not a lot of people can commit to quitting cigarette completely. Some quit for a while, then go back to it. The key is to be focused and motivated. Focus your attention on other hobbies or things. Be motivated and stick to your goals. Good luck!
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Carnold23... How are things going, my friend? So glad you got through 2 days. Hopefully, that number has increased. Let us know how you are when you get a chance.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think caffeine withdrawl is worse than nicotine withdrawl. You are doing so good, keep it up and stay strong no matter how bad the cravings might be. Day 2 was like the worst for me when I quit. By day 4 you will start to feel normal once again.
  15. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I know frompersonal experience that this is such a hard thing to do! I failed many times but in the end I managed to quit. Just be patient and not get dissapointed if you fail a few times.
  16. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I hope your progress continues and you succeed in overcoming this addiction.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Don't be too optimistic. I have seen people give up for a week and month but then again went back to the addiction. I am speaking about this from my experience.
  18. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Good for you Carnold! So proud of you! You have been 2 days more successful than I've ever been. I'm also trying to quit, but haven't been able to pass the first 24 hours cigarette free. I hope that you reach your goal, and keep up that great spirit. Also thanks for that ice water tip. I'll have to give that a try. Good luck!
  19. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to hear that you are quitting smoking. The first two days are the hardest but after that it only gets easier. Looking forward to hearing about your progress in the future, and good luck!
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This might be true but every time a person tries to quit the come closer to finally stopping smoking.