An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

DE pledges nearly $5m to fight opiate addiction

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by movingforward1, Aug 12, 2015.

1. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Last year, almost 200 Delaware residents died from a drug overdose. Prescription opiate and heroin abuse has been said to have reached epidemic proportions. Nearly 10,000 adults sought treatment for addiction within the state in that same year. Most of the money is going to increase the number of beds available in residential treatment and sober living homes.

Source: wmdt.com
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That sounds like a really positive step. In my opinion money is best spent on preventative measures such as in-patient treatment centers.

Are you a local in Delaware? Do you agree with the direction of their spending? I live in New Zealand. There are not a large number of residential treatment centers here but drug abuse problems are on the increase. This is something our government will need to seriously consider as soon as possible.
  3. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I am not a Delaware resident, I live about 2 states away but we have similar policies. I am really in favor of how they seem to be allocating the money. More beds are always needed, and sober living homes can be a big help in keeping people away from old influences.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That's good! I agree. One of the most helpful strategies, in my opinion, is to avoid putting yourself into situations that tempt you. Residential treatments are the best first step but often finishing these programs can cause an individual to go back to living the same lifestyle as soon as they leave. Sober living homes seem like the perfect way to get used to a new lifestyle in a supportive environment. I imagine these setups don't come cheap though!