An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dealing with a family that smokes

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Liv6, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I have family in Jordan that smokes cigarettes and does hookah regularly. It is pretty traditional where they are as their culture encourages it. Additionally, Jordan has been ranked before as having the most number of smokers in the Middle East. However, I'm obviously concerned for their health. One of my uncles has died recently of lung cancer (although he did not smoke) as his mother had smoked around him his entire life. Another one of my uncles pays for cigarettes for my younger cousins. How do I gently approach this with them?

The ironical part is that most of them are doctors...
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If it's part of their culture and lifestyle, I'm not sure there's a great deal you can do about it. Obviously you can tell them that you don't approve and give them your reasons why, but at the end of the day its going to be their decision.

Sometimes the more you go on about something, the more a person might fight back aswell and they'll smoke even more.
  3. Liv6

Liv6 Member

Some of them are too young to be smoking and really don't fully grasp the repercussions. I agree; I cannot badger them to the point of no return. There are a few others in my family that are non-smokers and attempt to gently push them towards quitting, but it is difficult. I'm afraid that it will take yet another death in the family for them to come to the realization that smoking shouldn't be a part of their lifestyles. However, I don't want it to come to that if I can help it. :(
  4. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This is quite a tragedy that a lot of these members of your family who smoke are doctors. As a doctor, he/she should know the risks involved with smoking. I am sure they do and simply choose to ignore the risks. I would approach the subject gently and lovingly. Perhaps, you should bring it up on Facebook, or another social media website simply as an indirect thought to your family.