An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

dealing with a lived ones withdrawal

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by lulu, May 27, 2015.

1. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

My fiance has been on prescription drugs for a disability for years now and in the being it wasn't bad now it's horrible. I feel like they come before me and my son and he's the worst person To be around if he hasn't been able to take them for a few days due to doctors appointments. I really don't know how to deal with it because I know he is depressed and anything I say sets him off!
  2. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Just my opinion...

Withdrawals can be hard on the caretakers it requires a large amount of patience on your part. I am not a doctor so I can't get technical about it. However the doctor that prescribed these pills might be able to change the meds if it is becoming that unbearable. Its something to consider especially since it seems the person is prone to outbursts. Just talk with the doctor and explain the situation. I wish you the best of luck.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

@trevermorgana is right! his doctor can't tell you anything about him, but he is allowed to listen to whatever you want to say.
  4. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I feel that doctors don't want to listen or help they want to give out meds and get them out of his office! I think the reason it has gotten so bad is because of all the switching meds and trying new ones these doctors are doing to himß
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Great point here and definitely something that could be useful. I think a lot of the time people get prescribed a particular medication and when it's no longer working for them or not necessary anymore they often still continue on, rather than checking back in with their medical professional. I do know what you mean though @lulu about some doctors just being on the "prescribe and goodbye" type train, it's almost like a fast food restaurant at doctors office's some days, you're in there for a minute, they've written you a script and that's it -- no getting to the bottom of the issue at all, which is sad.
  6. LilAnn

Omg, yes! There are still a lot of doctors out there who are good and genuinely care, but the majority knows they are making the same 60$ if they talk to you for 2 minutes, or 2 hours.
  7. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Dealing with my boyfriend's withdrawal was terrible. He was grumpy constantly and so mean! I just told myself that it's the drugs not him. This helped me cope but I couldn't help but feel hurt inside and hope that my old bf returned.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

You're right, there are definitely still good ones out there - I've had a couple in recent years that have been fabulous, very attentive and willing to listen to any symptoms I've had! I think perhaps the speed in which they buzz through consultations is simply because they're under pressure themselves -- too many patients and not enough doctors to go around. I live in a town that's not tiny, but not huge, and everyone is aware of the fact that there is a fair shortage of doctors compared to the population. It's sad!
  9. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I haven't run into a doctor that simply gives a prescription and ends the appointment. I'm not saying they don't exist though. It couldn't hurt to take the chance and simply ask considering how dire the situation is.
  10. LilAnn

I've had both kinds of doctors... The kind that just wants to get on to the next patient, and the kind who would listen, ask questions, and genuinely try to help you.
  11. LilAnn

Around here our options are limited, but we do have enough that they don't have to rush like they do. You wait for an hour past your appointment time, just so you can talk to the Doc for 2 minutes. Here they like to schedule appoints every 10 minutes because they don't want to lose as much money that day when they have no shows. They are under a lot of pressure, but they do it to themselves
  12. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

Have you tried talking to your fiance about this? I think the first thing you should do is make him realize that he has a problem. This can be quite challenging, and you should thread lightly, as people with substance abuse problems can be quite sensitive.
  13. LilAnn

I said this in other posts, but when trying to talk to someone about their "problem", regardless of what it is, how can you make them see what they don't want to? Addiction is such a personal subject. And people tend to shut you out as soon as you say something about it.
  14. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

The key is making people come to the conclusion on their own, with step-by-step guidance. However, unless you're certain in your ability to do so, I would advise you to seek professional help. You should talk to a psychologist, or even try to take your fiance to therapy, though I suspect that would be rather difficult.
  15. LilAnn

It's such a touchy subject. Saying the wrong thing could be worse than saying nothing at all.
  16. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

Yes, that's true. But saying nothing may be toxic in the long run. His problem won't go away on its own, and the sooner you do something about it, the easier it will be for the both of you. This is just my own opinion though, I really don't mean to intrude on your life.
    LilAnn likes this.
  17. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

You have to bring this up to your medical team. We can provide support and advice here at this forum, but I think you need more than that.
    If you don't like your Dr.s advice or they way he is running his business, you can always get a second opinion.
  18. LilAnn

It's a tough call for me. I am a master and saying, not just the wrong thing, but the WRONGEST thing, (if that's even a word.) if I try to repeat something I read in a book, its obvious that I'm not speaking from the heart. It was a little different with my husband.
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Prescription drugs should improve the condition of a person, not to worsen it.

Certainly withdrawal effects can be unexpected, but if he has been under treatment for long time, perhaps a change of medication, or a change of doctor could be the answer.

Sometimes doctors prescribe the same for long periods of time. Yes, such medication could be needed, but body and brain are strange mechanisms that work differently for each of us and, perhaps, actual medication is developing an addiction or simply has stopped working as his organism could have developed tolerance.
  20. LilAnn

There are some medicines out there that work great as long as you take exactly like you're supposed to. But the moment you screw up its like you are putting your life on the line.