An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dealing with life problems

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Simkata, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Simkata

Simkata Member

Hello, guys! I am new to this forum and I was hoping to tell you something about myself... About my experience with drugs and addictions in general.

I am only 22 years old but I feel like I've had my fair share of suffering, more than enough for a lifetime. I have always been quite shy and introverted which is why I never had a lot of friends. On the bright side, that made the few connections I had really special. It was all relatively fine until I started becoming too attached... to my friends, to my lovers, to everyone I cared about. It all got the point of me being a horrible controlling person who felt jealous every time my best friend started talking to someone else...

Surely, I needed to change things. I couldn't live in such a nightmare. My heart was turning again and again over every little thing somebody said or did against me... I felt constantly misunderstood, like everybody I ran into was a total stranger unable to even slightly comprehend what was going on my head!

This is why I started doing drugs. It seemed like the only way to escape my reality because I couldn't exist in it anymore! It was helpful, at first, but as you might well know, it becomes an addiction quite easily. In addition, the side effects were not all that pleasant.

[​IMG]

If you ask me, how I managed to overcome it, I will probably reply "I don't know". It just happened. Surely I had the support and loving kindness of my family, surely I went to therapy groups but I can't pinpoint the exact thing that helped me through it. However, what I do know for sure, is that sometimes all a bleeding heart needs is a little understanding, a little compassion... just somebody willing to really listen! For that reason, I would be most happy if I can help even one person here... you are all worth it!

Best regards :)
    Joseph likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you overcome all of those.
    I think all those you have mentioned such as support from family and therapy groups somehow help you recover. Agree that such experiences like yours needs understanding and someone who will be willing to listen and give compassion.
  3. sillylab

sillylab Member

That's amazing to hear!! It can be pretty rough to quit and it seems like a common reason for addiction is trying to escape reality. A little compassion from someone can not be overstated, it can make or break someones recovery.
  4. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story - that is great that you have family support and therapy groups. Many people don't even have that.

KUDOS to you for wanting to stay clean and join this forum. We are glad you are here!
  5. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

Sometimes we just seem to sneak away from inevitability, either cases well done and welcome to the community, I hope you have a great time here. ;)
  6. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Congratulations on overcoming your addiction. There are a lot of aspects that can help you get over any addiction, but a loving, supporting and understanding family will always be a top one.

One thing, you said that you started using drugs for being too attached to everyone. While you did therapy for overcoming your drug addiction, did you also get counsel for this behavior? Usually this attachment "issue" and the feelings of being misunderstood by the people you love will lead into depression, which could easily lead into another addiction.
  7. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Good to have you here. Your story will help encourage many others. I am so happy for you that you have been able to get off drugs and I wish you all the best.
  8. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I understand where you're coming from. I'm a bit like you as well when it comes to attachment. I just came from a bad breakup and what made it hard is that I'm too selfish and I don't want this person away from me when clearly, it's all over for him. Good thing is that I have friends to back me up, that's why I did not resort to alcohol or drugs.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

You also have luck that your friends don't use alcohol or drugs or else you'd be involved in that world as well. A wise choice of friends is really important...
    stariie likes this.
  10. stariie

stariie Community Champion

As a woman, sometimes when it's "all over for him" I find that in the long run the breakup was what was best for me too.
    I don't know your whole story, but maybe you are not selfish, maybe you are just in love and you are hurt. As with all hurts, it is going to take some time for the pain to go away.
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I totally agree with you here. I think that picking your friends wisely is one of the best things that a person can do to help that person stay away from bad habits, unwise choices, unnecessary drama, and a whole slew of other things that "friends" can lead a person into.
  12. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Sounds like you've got some social anxiety problems. Good job on overcoming drug addiction.
  13. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Thank you and welcome! It is always great to hear about people who have overcome their problems and also what made them strt in the first place.
    Love, understanding, faith and family are important in life and when we feel neglected, unloved or we are missing something in our lives, it is easy to find a way to get out, however, there are so many who have not made it out and it would be great for the younger generation to listen to how you could prevent taking drugs in the first place with some help from people like you.
  14. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Thank you for your kind and wise words, stariie. Maybe you're right, maybe I was just in love and hurting. It's nice to know that people understands others and cares. Thank you for again for your kind soul.
  15. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

I also used drugs as an escape from my current reality. It seemed like the only way I could be happy was if I was high on some drug. I realized that the drug was actually taking over my life and not taking away any of my problems.
  16. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Escapism is a big part of it for me. I love the oblivion and often I wanted to stay in that mindset forever. However the party always had to end at some point. Although I never wanted it to.
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Much as drugs might give you a temporary "fix" sooner or later you'd have to face the issues you are trying to run away from. It's good that you caught yourself in time before sinking in too deep. Others who think drugs can be a solution to problems we all face in life [which vary from person to person] would learn a thing or two from your story.

Never look back!
  18. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Congratulations Simkata and to your family as well for supporting you and loving you more throughout your journey.

Jealousy and attachment more often than not show low self-esteem and belief in oneself. The therapy sessions must have helped you address that lacking aspect in your life. The constant love and understanding that your family and friends have shown must have helped you successfully go through the rough roads.

Look back only when you have to draw strength from the benefits of the experiences you've gone through. They have made you a stronger and better person. Kudos to you for bouncing back with a desire to help other people. For sure, you will be a blessing and inspiration to people you can reach out to.

Your story is inspiring!
  19. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I agree, it's great that we can overcome this situations and it's like we say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, so I wish that you continue strong with the new life!
  20. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I think it's a song by Clarkson. That line is exacting and motivational. However, we cannot do things alone. Wishing you the best of luck!