New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dealing with stress

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I am having a hard time coping with stress without smoking. Smoking has always been my stress relief, it is the first thing I go to when I am upset, mad or worried. I need some ways to cope with stress without smoking. My toddlers have been acting up all day, and now that they are in bed all I want to do is smoke. How do I beat this?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Try this:

- Listen to some inspirational music.
    - Do something you love every day.
    - Avoid negative thinking.
    - Meditate.
    - Adjust your standards. Embrace reality — nothing can be perfect, ever.

I hope this helps.
    henry likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When trying to quit smoking, stress is the factor that often makes people give up and start smoking again. I know because that happens to me, and has in the past on more than one occasion.

What helped me was to try and learn how to stay calm and not get worked up before I quit smoking, that way I was able to recognise the signs of stress and not resort to having a cigarette as a way to help.
  4. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I don't know if this is possible since you have toddlers, but I'd recommend trying to exercise. Smoking makes your body feel like garbage after a while, but it satisfies an itch; exercise does sort of the same thing, but it moves the feeling in your body to the opposite extreme. You also get fatigued enough that you start to concentrate more on the burn in your muscles and can ignore the cravings for a cigarette.
  5. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Be careful not to start dealing with stress by getting into harder drugs. Try to meditate more often, at least 30 minutes a day, every day. And if you can, join a course of yoga or meditation. Your spirit will be more calm and will thank you.
    henry likes this.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

There is a plethora of other things you can do instead of smoking to relieve stress, I'm sure you didn't try to find something else. Take on a new hobby, maybe whenever you feel stressed you should cook something or read, anything that is productive should give you a sense of accomplishment. :)
  7. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

When I feel stressed out I listen to music, maybe you should try that as well. Smoking is just going to cause health problems for you, and you don't want that. If music doesn't work for you, you could try vaping. Although it's not good for you either, it's better that smoking for real. It doesn't burn your throat like when you smoke for real. Most of the time it doesn't even have an odor either. I'm not a fan of vaping but I do believe that it's better than smoking for real. I have tried both in my lifetime so I can tell you first hand that vaping is better for you than smoking is for sure. Just try it it and see if you like it. Hope all goes well for you. Good luck.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Find a hobby that you totally love or at least something that keeps you busy. For me watching movies or reading works great lately. I've been really stressed and watching movies has really helped, the coloring therapy has also helped a lot in the past.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Find some other way to deal with stress. You can try meditation and a nice bubble bath. Or try making some jiffy pop and watching your favorite movie. The reason I said jiffy pop is because the actions it takes to enjoy this is similar to smoking,
    you have to put it over a fire to pop it and then put the popcorn in your mouth for satisfaction. There's really a lot of ways to replace smoking. I got the jiffy pop idea from a post on here a couple of months ago it seems like a great idea.
  10. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Finding some type of hobby to distract you and relieve your stress is the simplest solution. You can try going for a run or just putting on headphones and listening to your favorite music. Anything that will occupy your mind will take you away from whatever it is that is stressing you out.
  11. pwarbi

There's also different forms of stress aswell, and I think we have to bare that in mind aswell.

Different people can cope with different levels of stress, and one person might find that having a cigarette is just an emotional crutch that they have always been used to having, so even replacing that with something else will be hard, and they'll still be resorting to an anecdote rather than dealing with the reason behind it instead.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with all the advice that's been given so far, specially the meditation part. You can also buy a couple of packs of gum. Chewing gives your mouth something to do, that's why most people get fat when they quit smoking. They start giving their mouths a little too much to entertain it.
  13. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I have found that if I clean my house, I won't smoke. I have also started using a vapor mod as well so I can quit cigarettes all together, but it's been harder than I thought. So, recently, I found that when I start to want another cigarette, I will get up and clean my house and have something to drink. Try not to allow yourself to snack, because in the long run, that can be unhealthy (I gained 25 pounds the first time I stopped smoking from snacking all of the time). Find things that you enjoy doing, or something that is rewarding. It gets easier over time. I have gone from smoking almost an entire pack a day to 3 or 4 cigarettes a day, if that. Good luck!
  14. pwarbi

That's one thing that people underestimate I think, and while the main craving is obviously the nicotine,,when you stop smoking it's also the other habits that you've developed that you miss aswell.

You mentioned your mouth, but you also find that you miss doing something with your hands also.
  15. say not to it, smoking kills it is in there advertisement and you should consider it