An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Death & Overdose Rate of Heroin

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by TripleD123, May 12, 2015.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's healthy for any community to sweep problems like this under the rug because it just ends up keeping people ignorant and less equipped to solve the problem or prevent it from happening. I think heroin is easy to overdose on because it is injected and also the fact that it's a lot more addictive than your average recreational substance plays a big part in that too.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

True, I have never done heroin, but I have heard of many people close to my friends that have passed by for mixing heroin and alcohol.

This contributes to get them overdosing inadvertently and if they don't end up at the hospital emergency room, the end up dead, sadly.
    Danyell likes this.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

9.72 per 1000 heroin-user patients per year is the current mortality rate. Figures for heroin abstinence vary from study to study, but levels do increase with age, they are usually quoted as 18-24% over any 5 year period.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

About 6-18 deaths for every 100,000 users a year. About 5% of people who report an addiction to heroin are suspected to die from the drug a year. Risk of death is 14 times higher for heroin users compared to non-heroin users.

There are drugs which can be prescribed by a doctor to assist a patient in quiting the use of heroin. A common one is methadone.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I think what you want to know is that about 1% of users die each year.

The main risk of death is overdose, brought on by increasing insensitivity to the drug, and therefore needing bigger and bigger doses to get the same effect.

Another cause is poor quality - inevitable when getting it on the black market. I spotted two reports of stuff which crystallises in the blood stream, and another which was cut with Anthrax.

Heroin users can attempt cold turkey, but that really needs medical supervision. (John Lennon once had a hit single describing the process in a song). This is the best method by far, since it gets it all out of your system, and offers a chance to start afresh.

Often. users are put on methodone, a substitute which is slightly less harmful, but which satisfies the addiction.
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

87.9% of them die as a result of using the drug. Of course, the use of it varies. But the geneneral ballpark figure of it is near that 90% line.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

It's alarming to see how heroin overdose rate has quadrupled through these last 15 years, read on:
    Full article is here, http://healthcare.utah.edu/healthlibrary/related/doc.php?type=6&id=697073
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In New Zealand more than 400 people have died from heroin overdose and one person dies every week on average from this drug and is quite serious and has claimed many lives. I think people need to see what this can do to them and how it can affect the ones they care about, which is shocking to see this occur in the country and in other countries. In the news we see it all the time as it is more known now, as more facts are known now more than before as it has become more of an issue now.