An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Decrease in smoking in schools

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Recent stats have shown that there has been a steady decrease in high school smokers.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like all the anti-tobacco campaigns have had some good results. Adult consumption of tobacco also has a steady decrease.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm happy to see this. High school kids are definitely the most vulnerable when it comes to starting smoking, IMO.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

It seems that smoking among teenagers has become less of a "cool" thing and more of something that is looked down upon. My kids always tell me that only the losers and "low life" people smoke and if you smoke you are considered one of those people. It may seem trivial but the outlook society has on what you do has a great affect on your actions, especially if you are a naive adolescent who cares about what other people think. Due to the majority of teenagers having an increasing lack of access to cigarettes, its also hard for them to become addicted as they aren't available to them all the time.

I'm sure things can only get better from here, given the stats above, I really see no future for smoking amongst teenagers.
  4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

this is wonderful news and I hope the trend will continue. I hope, however, that there may not be an increase of other forms of drug usage because there is only a switch to other substances. let's hope it's the messages of the dangers that can arise from cigarette smoking that has got to them.
  5. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Good news, but also kinda scary. This might have some connection with kids doing other drugs, rather than just stopping cigarette smoking. It's still good news though, I'm just worried we might be might be seeing a bigger problem in recent years, as the cool drug to do isn't cigarettes anymore.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That's certainly good news. But I suppose those statistics apply mostly to the USA. Where I live, in Latin America, it's not so much the use of tobacco that's a problem, but marijuana and other drugs. Recently, when I was invited to visit a rural high school, I was approached by several teenagers who tried to sell marijuana to me. It's not uncommon here. Not many people, be they young or older, smoke tobacco in this country. And neither do they drink much alcohol. The reason is simple: they can't afford it. But growing marijuana is easy.
  7. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Good news. I think the main reason for this is the accessibility of information these days. The youth are more informed and are aware of the dangers smoking brings.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Awesome! But I think I had read recently an article something posted here telling a different story. I hope this date is more recent, because to me this is the worst and most nasty habit ever. For reals, you annoy and poison other people with those fumes while you are slowly killing yourself.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Very good news! Look at that chart, the numbers have been the lowest in around 70 years! That is amazing and I hope they continue to create more of these successful anti-smoking campaigns!
  10. Joethefirst

If the tendency remains the same we could see a big decrease in adult smokers. Very often adults start smoking in school and if the tendency remains, we could see very few smokers in the near future.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think that most people know the health risk in smoking. School kids probably already know way more about the dangers of smoking than we think they do. Ever since they invented those hookah sticks more people have been using those anyway. I think that regular cigarettes are starting to fade out. They might start going into vaping. Then again people may stop smoking cigarettes all together.
  12. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

When I was in High-School, I started to smoke because I thought my friends looked cool doing it and I started to do it aswell. Even if I didn't enjoy it at all, I didn't get disgusted out of it either and it was just a vicious circle. When I got out of High School and got into College I started to smoke less and less because I realized I no longer had the social repercutions or the pressure I had in High School, in college noone gives a damn whether you smoke or not, so I started to cut it out day by day until I didn't smoke a single one a day. It has been really benefitial for my health aswell.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

With the internet, kids are more aware and educated on the negative effects of cigarettes. Adult smoking has decreased as well, so the parents of those kids aren't lighting up, which makes it less likely for their kids to begin smoking. It's great news to see that smoking is on the decline.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That was a good news and I hope that it was also the situation in here. I can still see some high school students smoking in their uniform around sometimes and the authorities or even their parent do not mind it or take it seriously.
  15. Joethefirst

I don't think it's only the internet there has been a lot of campaigns running, and the social pressure is higher then ever. I think that it won't be long before there will only be a handful of smokers left.
  16. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Wow! I am impressed by this report. That really means that the anti-smoking campaigns are working. It's really impressive information. When I was in high-school, most of the students used to smoke. Nowadays, students are becoming aware of the dangers of smoking. Most of the kids are safe now.
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

This is amazing to see! I'm so glad that high school students are becoming more educated and learning about the dangers of smoking.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This is awesome! I definitely think that for a lot of the long-term smokers I know, they were smokers since high school - peer pressure does crazy things at that age - and it's been a lifelong habit since. If they're doing something to keep young people from cigarettes in high school, then I think there has to be a correlation with less likelihood of people taking up the habit later on. Brilliant news!
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

That's certainly some good news. I don't know what the stats are in my country, but it wouldn't surprise me if the results are similar. I've noticed that most of the kids are a lot more into their smart phones than they're into cigarettes. When I was in high school, it was common for all the 'cool kids' to smoke but that many no longer be the case.
  20. Joethefirst

There definitely been a change in the way the kids see smoking. It no longer is cool and that is a very good thing.