An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Defining Recovery

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by princepts, Jun 7, 2015.

1. princepts

princepts Member

Sobriety generally means that an individual has experienced such an array of storms and chaos that they are wise. It makes us practical and refines our coping mechanisms. However, it is different for each of us. Thus, I would be interested in reading everyone's own, personal interpretation with regard to the word "Recovery". What is Recovery? What does Recovery mean to you? If I had to stand in front of a room and convey to the crowd what "recovery" meant to me I would define it like this:

Recovery is a voyage within a broader excursion. To undergo this voyage one must resolve to accept the notion of challenges, refuse to surrender when faced with defeat and must have a strong desire to obtain something that they could not have without embarking on this voyage. My recovery made me come face to face with the notion and proposal of "change". Staying the course, for myself, would have only given me few outcomes: prison, death or complete depravity. Recovery was only possible when I woke up every morning, nauseous of my present self, lacking the capacity to rationalize or engage unless the necessity of my addiction had been quenched. Until I was sick of myself, recovery was only a charade that I wore, to manipulate and create as a diversion. If I could maintain the appearance of being "clean" or striving toward sobriety, I could selfishly trap loved ones who wanted no part in enabling me. Exhaustion had to set in and I had to be brought to total hopelessness.

Looking back, I know that taking that voyage refined the man that I am today. I am a better person, a little bit smarter, a lot stronger and with a future full of promise - all due to that decision - to want to live life. When the pains of staying the same are more than the pains of change.....then and only then.....can one embark on the voyage of "Recovery".
    xTinx likes this.
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think that's a good description. Your experience is well articulated and I think most people would be able to easily understand what you are trying to communicate.

I would define recovery as the process in which a person makes a decision to end their addiction and acts upon it by taking steps to get off the substance and making life changes that are needed in order to remain sober.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm not an addict, so my definition of recovery is quite simple. It's when you decide to stop your vice and to "heal" from the sickness that it has caused you. After all, drugs make the body sick in many ways. So by making a "recovery", you will be healed from all of them.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I don't believe that recovery has to necessarily involve giving up a vice like drugs or alcohol. I am the father of a son in long-term recovery from heroin addiction, and I am in recovery, too. Recovery for me was learning to take care of myself first, instead of letting my son's addiction control and upset my life. As loved ones of addicts, we often become addicted to our loved one's addiction, and it consumes us 24/7/365. In my mind, that is almost as bad as addiction itself.

So my definition is more like... Making a change that allows you to return to a normal state of mind, or a normal state of health.

Thoughts?
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The end goal of recovery is sobriety. They're not exactly two sides of the same coin but they're deeply interrelated and one cannot be possible without the other. Sobriety is only possible when the person has fully recovered from addiction and is now capable of living a regular life sans the substance.