An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Deleted Thread

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Supernova989, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Supernova989

Supernova989 Member

Deleted post
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  2. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Welcome to the forum, @Supernova989!

I’m so happy you have someone as supportive as your mom to help you through these tough patches. Yes, you may have drank with anybody, but if you had some wonderful sober friends, they could have helped you through the hard times after stress from summer classes. Personally, I wouldn’t think a friend was really a true friend if they let me abandon sobriety. To me they would always be an enabler. Even if you were hell bent on getting drunk and there was nothing a friend could do to stop you, a good friend would stay sober and watch over you, not partake in the destruction.

I think you should still be proud of your 14 months of sobriety! That’s still a huge accomplishment! I would be honest with your mom about your quit date though. You don’t have to tell her about your relapse if you don’t want to, but I don’t think you should lie to her and say continue to use your old sobriety date. But that is just an opinion, and I will in no shape or form judge you for what you do, or have done.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Supernova989 You remind me of myself in that your conscious is eating at you,and you don't need anyone to slap you my friend you are already slapping yourself.Addiction is a son of a bit*h and while we actively use daily it doesn't pose a problem until we realize it actually does cause a problem,once we break free of it's daily hold on our lives we then commit to fighting for sobriety each and everyday until we are dead...thats just the nature of what we create once we become addicts.Here's the good news your human exempt from perfection but true strength is found as you pick yourself up once you trip and fall.I understand how you struggle with the decision to tell your mom,that's a hard call,myself I have relapsed so many time's I can't even keep track but I am over 6 month's sober for the first time in over 20 year's anyways every time I relapsed I told the world,just put it out there for everyone to see because for myself keeping it a secret gave the addiction power over me always focusing on keeping the secret.....Not my style but we are all different.I have a friend who recently said "I will probably always struggle with addiction"that friend is correct because it's the same for all addicts in that aspect however just because we will always struggle with addiction doesn't mean we will always be controlled by it.Addiction is something we can overcome,the thought's and action's may arise at times of "Slipping Up"but that doesn't eliminate the positive changes we've made and as long as we catch it in time we can look in the mirror and say "One mistake will not define who I am"I've lost everything to addiction my friend well almost everything,I still have fight left in me and the goal for myself in today's world is simple.Just be kind and understanding to all,listen and learn because some of the most amazing people I know are recovering addicts and many of them are members of this site.The people here truly care and you don't have to do this alone simply type anything you choose even if its just to vent and someone,anyone, everyone will respond and there is no judgement here,not on this site.Stay Strong my friend we are all rooting for you.God Bless
    deanokat likes this.
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Just curious why you deleted your post?It was very good
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I didn't get to read your post before you deleted it, @Supernova989. But I still want to say that I'm proud of you for being sober for 14 months. And if you relapsed, so be it. We're all human beings, and we all make mistakes. Fall down 7 times, get up 8. We're here for you, no matter what. So don't hesitate to reach out and lean on us if you need to, okay?

Sending peace, love, light, hope, and encouragement.
    lonewolves likes this.