An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dentists and Prescription Medications

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Liv6, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I know that doctors sometimes have a tendency to over-prescribe for their patients in order to receive kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies. (It seems as though there is no end to the corruption within the health field). However, my mother recently started taking a highly addictive pain medication after several root canals (the dentist messed up the first time...and the second). I was wondering if dentists purposefully over-prescribe as well and if there is any alternative, non-addictive medication for the otherwise painful after-effects for procedures.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Here's an example of a dentist recklessly writing a prescription (IMO)...

I have a couple of wisdom teeth I was supposed to have pulled about a year ago. I went to a dentist (oral surgeon, actually) for a consult and made an appointment to have the teeth pulled. When I was leaving the office, they handed me a RX for 25 Vicodin. They told me to get the RX filled before coming in to get my teeth pulled. That way I'd have the pain meds in hand, and wouldn't have to be inconvenienced by going to the drug store after my surgery.

Well, that may sound like a considerate gesture on the dentist's part, but here's the deal... Something came up and I couldn't keep the appointment for my wisdom teeth extraction. So even though I never went through with the surgery, I still got a RX for 25 Vicodin (which, by the way, I ripped up and threw away). But it got me thinking... What's to prevent someone else from coming in for a consult, getting a RX, and then just not showing up?
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Dentists seem to be a little more cautious than doctors in other fields of medicine. The novocaine that they use is actually called procaine. It is a hypnotic that numbs the area. It is also used in child birth. Kind of funny that the association doesn't get made because they use different terms. Novocaine and epidural. Lol. Epidural is the procedure but novocaine is what they inject in there. They don't say we will shoot you up with a dentist's drug.
    The doctors are bribed pretty much by the pharma companies to buy their stuff. Big kick back.
  4. Liv6

Liv6 Member

That's so awful! I never realized that that could occur. I also had to get all four of my wisdom teeth extracted, but I don't recall having to fill the prescription before I had my teeth pulled. However, the situation you described has probably been a source of scams for other people many times before. I wonder: how many of those addicted to prescription medications try things like this in order to access painkillers? It's so detrimental as well to people who are in a low spot in their lives and suddenly they have medication on their hands that is going towards no other purpose. I hope this loophole gets filled soon for their sake especially.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My partner went to the dentist to have a tooth pulled and I was really surprised with the prescription drugs that the dentist wrote him up prescriptions for. It was crazy. He had enough pills for a month and it was only for an extraction. He didn't get them filled because he knew he wouldn't need them but he actually had people offering to buy them off him if he did fill them. That is just crazy to me. Precipitation drugs are just too easy to get.
  6. As a former opiate addict myself, I'm incredibly terrified to go for a huge dental procedure in less than a month. I will be having 6 teeth extracted and will be put under. I'm going to accept the painkillers for afterwards, as this is a major procedure and need to be able to function and get back to work and take care of my kids. However, I am being open with people around me in my life, so my usage can be monitored and I will not take these meds for longer than 3 days afterwards and will ask to only be prescribed that many.
  7. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Even if you got your teeth pulled, 25 Vicodin for that seems excessive! I was injured in a car wreck some years back and they didn't give me anywhere near that many in the ER, I think I was given about 14 at most. They gave me more muscle relaxer pills because those aren't controlled substances. With Vicodin now becoming a more tightly controlled substance, I can't get a hold of it even if I beg for it, and I have an issue which puts me in a ton of pain at times!
  8. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I agree, 25 vicodin does seem like an awful lot. Your dentist must be getting a pretty big kick back. I have never had anything like that from my dentist. I do have a heart murmur so I used to have to take an anibiotic 2 hours before my dentist appointments but they don't even do that anymore and my dentist always just tells me to take some advil. He must be really conservative when it comes to medications.
  9. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

My husband got one tooth pulled at they gave him 25 oxycodone. My uncle had 14 pulled the day before and he got the same amount. We are in different states but still it's a little excessive when you get the same amount for one tooth vs 14. My mom had 6 teeth pulled by the same dentist as my uncle and he only gave her Tylenol 3. It makes me wonder really.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Based on what happened to your mother, I first wonder if the dentist intended to messed up several times. Sad thing that some are prescribing much for the sake of money and will not mind the effect of it to the patient.