An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dentists Do It Too

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Nick W., Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

When it comes to prescription-drug misuse, you don’t usually think of dentists as the source. I usually hear very little about “dentist shopping” or “dental pill mills.” However, study's are showing that dentists prescribe 12% of all immediate-release opioids; they’re second only to general practitioners as the biggest prescribers.

So, if you are avoiding these types of pills, and have dental pain, which some describe as some of the worst pain they've experienced, what do you do as an option?

Feel free to discuss strategies and plans that have worked for you.
  2. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Well, my dentist would only prescribe those pills for a couple of days, so it will be hard to become addicted. But as an alternative to opiods there is not much you can do that will kill the pain in a similar way. Yes, alcohol, but we do not want that for obvious reasons. I think it's best to go back to your dentist in such a case, ask him if he could clear your molars from bacteria.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

That's a tough situation. If you're trying to stay away from any addicting painkillers, then you really have no alternatives when it comes to dental work or pain. I mean, you just have to rough it and hope that the pain goes away quickly if you're 100% dedicated to staying away from the painkillers. Dental issues are the kinds of things that are sometimes painful no matter what you do.

If you wait too long for work to get done, then you're in immense pain. If you get the work done and it's a serious procedure, you could be stuck recovering in pain for a week or two after the procedure. I don't really have a good solution or alternative to the painkillers.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I know of some old remedies but they're only temporary. I think it just depends on the person. Like mentioned it's tough to avoid that kind of pain without effective relief.
    Nick W. likes this.
  5. Nick W.

It's a tough situations, because tooth pain can be pretty serious too.
  6. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

What would those old remedies be if I may ask?
  7. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Sure some of them sound stupid but might work
    get some ice and put it between your thumb and finger for about two-three minutes, supposed to numb the nerve.

If it's from an infection, and/or infected gums theres a couple of things you can do. These are the main ingredients though.
    Cayenne pepper-these peppers are known for pain relief
    Cloves-fight bacteria and has numbing affect
    Garlic-same as clove almost
    salt

You can make a tincture with tea tree oil and use all the ingredients take a q-tip and apply to hurtful area. Or you can just use anyone separately. take a pinch of salt and apply it to area, or you can make a warm water wash with the salt and rinse your mouth, but do it four to five times, and I would brush real good after. You can just chew garlic if you want on the side that hurts, same thing with cloves but just rub the area with clove. You can take the cayenne and rub the area as well. Or like I said make a tincture using everything.

You can use whiskey also on the tooth that hurt, just rub it with the whiskey for about five minutes. Hydro Peroxide works well as a mouth wash also....especially if it's pain due to gum disease or something, add baking soda to your toothpaste and rinse with hydro peroxide, I mean like you know add warm water, and that should rid off any infection and help with pain caused by plague or any of that. Also, if you smoke it gets the nicotine off your tongue. If you're tooth is painful and is acting up from air, just plug the tooth with gum or something to that affect.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I believe it would be very important to share your concerns with your dentist as this is the most logical way to address your fears. It would be better if you got your facts right and avoid getting into pitfalls that may render you at the mercy of pills that may be counter-productive in the long run.
    Nick W. likes this.
  9. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Whenever I go to the dentist I don't even take anesthesia because I don't like the feeling of being numb. I was not aware that this could an issue, but either cases thanks for the alert.
    Nick W. likes this.
  10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

For me I would just take the prescription but in the back of my head I will keep reminding myself that this drug is highly addictiveand try not to relay on it so much, because eventually that tooth will have to extracted, therefore making the presription ddrugs temporary.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I have gotten quite a few prescriptions from doctors that I've never bought simply because I feel I don't need it, I think that doctors prescribe way too many drugs.
    Nick W. likes this.
  12. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think dentists need to be more aware of the risks involve with these drugs. They should never be prescribed for long periods of use. I someone has to have painful dental work done, they need a pain killer, but the dentist should have a good estimate of healing time and know how many days use will be required and not prescribe for more than that.
    Nick W. likes this.
  13. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Yes, it's part of their education to estimate how many days use of pain killers is needed.
  14. Nick W.

At the end of the day, it's going to boil down to being honest with your provider, and yourself. Their may be alternatives, or options at times, and at times none, but letting the doctor know your position, not the whole story if you're not comfortable, is essential.
    MrsJones likes this.
  15. Even though I knew that dentist prescribe some painkillers that cause dependency, I never really thought about it in the perspective you mentioned in this thread. It make a lot of sense. I think that being honest with the Dentist is also a good thing to do. Let them know how you feel about the issue, and you can have a straight forward discussion about alternate solutions.
    MrsJones likes this.
  16. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I was not aware of that. I dentist told me to take Aleve or Tylenol for my pain.
    They did not give me any prescription opiates. The Aleve helped some. I do understand though that opiates are very addictive for some. Dentist should not give those drugs out so easily.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

My dentist usually just prescribed taking mefenamic acid and/or antibiotic to alleviate pain and it is on a limited period of time. I have not take medicines more than the required time cause I am always cautious on taking more than what is needed to avoid overdose.
  18. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

There was a study done a while back using acupuncture and 'fake' acupuncture on a study group having a dental procedure, removal of a third molar with roots into the jaw. Anyway, the results weren't entirely conclusive but many of the study participants with real acupuncture reported lower pain up to 24 hours post surgery than those who had the placebo treatment. Now, some of that might be different pain thresholds and stuff but it was interesting to read if you can wade through the medical jargon. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post the link if I do.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah some dentists are into all of this stuff. I know of one that use to be into that gas. He just loved damn stuff. I think it ended up causing severe damage to him too. The nitrous oxide is the worst crap. Dental pain is not the easiest to deal with and it can be so severe. I think I had some tylenol with codeine one time. I hardly took any of it. It was just a few days and that was it.