An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depressed

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Nikkishea21, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Things are so awful right now, I came here when I joined the forum to give a synopsis of my situation and some of the ills being faced by me. At present I am at a point where there seem to be no way out but I live, I continue to press on and hope and pray that I somehow get through it even though I really do not know how or when. I do not want to sink too deep into depression because I have to try and not focus too much on it because I am eight months pregnant and I do not want to suffer any complications.
  2. humble3

humble3 Member

Its hard to deal with the emotions and pain life hands out sometimes. It can be overwhelming and get under our skin to the point where you cant see around it. I don't want to preach or seem to simplify your hardships as I am not walking in your shoes. What I would like to do is say you have strength, that shows from your perseverance. You also have light in you to make it through this time because you have hope, and you are reaching out with prayer and your voice. Sometimes small things can help too, for instance motivational quotes, going for a walk or even getting a hug can change the way you feel. Your not alone, love yourself, and have faith that you are loved. Sending positivity your way for a better tomorrow.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

First off congratulations on your pregnancy. Soon you will have a little one to love and who will love you unconditionally. I am sorry that you are struggling with depression, trying to get through each day. I don't know your struggles but I do know how it feels to be down and how it feels to keep fighting. I am glad that you found us. There are many wonderful people here to talk to. Sometimes just having somebody to listen helps. So post here often. We are here for you!
    greybird29 and deanokat like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Nikkishea21... As my wife would say: Deeeeep breaths.

I, too, suffer from depression. With medication, it is pretty much under control, but I've gone through a rough patch over the last couple of weeks.

Try to do some deep breathing to relax your mind. Try to think positive thoughts. Try to list--either in your mind or on an actual piece of paper--things you are grateful for. (I find that a gratitude list is something that helps me a lot.)

We are here for you, so don't hesitate to post here whenever you want or need to.

Take care of yourself so that both you and your baby are healthy and happy.

I'm keeping good thoughts for you and sending positive, healing vibes your way.
    stariie and pstrong1969 like this.
  5. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I have suffered from depression for years. Theres no easy way to deal with it. I self medicated to deal with it. That caused worse problems for me. You need to get to the cause of it to be able to get some relief. It maybe a chemical inbalance. Situational, etc....Im on meds for depression/bi-polar,anxiety etc.... They help but there not a cure all. For me I have to stay away from self-pity. I used to love to feel sorry for myself. I pray and know that God listens, exercise helps alot, talking about issues. Life will get better just dont give up Hope. God Bless You.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

Depression is definitely a hard thing to deal with. Every single day can be a battle. Make sure you talk to people about what's bothering you. Anyone. If talking isn't helping then do what you have to do to talk to a doctor. Not everyone has the ability to deal with depression without medication, and it's important to realize that as well. You're so close to having one of God's greatest gifts, even if it doesn't feel like everything's going right, you have the strength and ability to do right by him or her. Have faith. Every storm passes.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I think once your baby comes into the world, you'll get better, because you'll have a beautiful baby and a bright future ahead of you, a chance to leave something wonderful behind, to raise a great kid...
    deanokat likes this.
  8. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

A baby can indeed bring a lot of joy to the a parent, but at the same time it's a lot of work too. So support might be needed so that the baby is well taken care of.
  9. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

You should really talk to someone. Try to not stress out too much, because it can affect your child and trust me, you don't want a child that's prone to depression.

What's causing your problems and where are you from?
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

All of us there will be times in our life that we will experience depression. But we have to deal with it or else we will not be able to do all our aspirations in life. Soon the greatest blessing coming from God will come into your life and that is your child. Be happy and just live your life the way it should be. No worries and regrets in life so that your depression will set you free.
  11. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Stand up, look in the mirror.... Some of our deepest fears when confronted head on lose power. Do not be afraid to stand. There is a warrior in you, just believe!
  12. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Depression is just a the way you're feeling at the moment, and I specify at the moment. As any other feeling, good or bad, it will pass away with the time so don't give up just right now. I know that it seems that all the stuff are running against you but believe me that it's not and it will go away like it came.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Your baby can really be your motivation to live and have more hopes. Being depressed will not be good for both of you so I hope that you can find ways to lighten up. Maybe you have someone there whom you can share your thoughts and problems. It could be just a phase so better believe that depression will be over sooner.
  14. sunflogun

After having a baby a lot of support is needed, if you find yourself alone I would reach out for help, it's a good time to do it.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Nikkishea21! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. I hope things have gotten better right now with you. Just keep the faith and stay strong. It is okay to feel a little bit sad sometimes, but please try to always look at the bright side of things. Make your baby your inspiration in life. Best of luck! :)
  16. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I really sympathize with your situation given your situation but am optimistic you will come out victorious. Sometime in life we are faced with such situations but we cling on hope knowing that there will always be a better tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with you and i know you will come out stronger than never before.
    sunflogun likes this.
  17. sunflogun

Well said jeremy, many times when facing difficult situations is when we manage to emerge stronger. Not that is easy, but we do become stronger by overcoming the situation.
  18. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Congratulations on the new baby coming; may you be blessed with a bundle of happiness to bring you out of your depression. You are not alone at all; many of us have experienced depression in our life. It can consume us and steal our happy moments.
    Over 5 years ago my bird escaped her cage and literally “flew the coop”. I got her when she was five weeks old and named her Florida, and had her for almost 20 years. As my companion she went most everywhere with me, talked a lot and knew so many tricks she was a major part of my family. I searched for her night and day for months and still have a Fifty thousand dollar (yes you read that right $50.000) reward out for her safe return. I went into a state of depression that entirely consumed me; she was all I could think about and missed her so very much. The doc prescribed some meds for me but they did not work they were more of a sleeping pill. I did not have desire to sleep I had to keep searching and find her. Some folks think Geez it was just a bird; get over it. Well I cringe at that as she was like a child to me and I will never “get over it”. It took me years to come to grips with her disappearance and try to accept the fact that she is probably not coming back. I still have my moments the anniversary of her arrival at our house day and the day she went missing is particularly difficult. We used to have a big “birthday” party for her she would put on her party hat, sing and dance like a fool on top of her seeded cake and celebrate as if she was human. Yes, it still affects me… ok sorry; enough about Florida for now.

Taking medication is most likely Not an option at this point in pregnancy; yet you must talk to a Doctor about that I am not at all qualified to tell you that. I believe a good support system is essential; by reaching out to others and sharing your feelings is a good first step. Congratulations again best wishes you will find some happiness that will help bring you out of the state of mind that you are in.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  19. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Wow, what a really awful time to be so depressed. I know with my second pregnancy I was having a really hard time and was even seeing a psychiatrist. I don't know what had me in such a down mood except that I was feeling really overwhelmed by everything including my pregnancy which I had conceived on purpose hoping that another child would pull together my failing marriage. The first pregnancy made me the star of the two families since it was the first grandchild for my parents and it was the first child of our marriage and my in laws were anxious for this marriage to work out for their son who had been married once before me and the two kids he had with her stayed with her. But this pregnancy was being looked at as a big mistake by both families and it was hard for me to feel happy about something everyone else was so against.
    I still suffer from depression and its always hard. Have you tried support groups for pregnant women? I found that talking to other women in the same sort of situation always helped me. People who have never been depressed find it difficult to relate to but during pregnancy we go through so many mood shifts what with hormonal changes and all, that I would think that someone else would have suffered the same sort of feelings as yourself. In my second pregancy when overwhelming started to turn into depressing, I tried to focus on the fact that depression only lasts for so long and like my pregnancy it would come to an end.
    By all means, talk to your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. In my day postpartum and depression were not talked about very much and I feel like I was over medicated when I did finally talk about it, but these days it is better researched and understood by physicians. I would think it is especially important for you to talk to your doctor now, before the baby is born and you suffer from any post birth changes in you moods. You want to be feeling your best for yourself and for your baby.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  20. sunflogun

Doctors can be of help sure because they can guide us to support if they consider we need to, but above all I think we should count on family and friends.