An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depressed

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Nikkishea21, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@Nikkishea21 I'll share with you what worked for me some years ago when my stress, anxiety and depression levels almost drove me to commit suicide: walking. I knew my anxiety and depression levels were high, I felt so restless, but at the same time with so much energy... my thought seemed stuck in a never ending circle, that made me feel so restless... I felt like I wanted to leave the house running.

So I decided it was the time hit the park, and let my feet take care of it. As I started walking I had all those worries in my mind, what ifs, my anxiety, depression were there... but as I walked more and more one by one disappeared. I slept so well every night after that. I walked until I couldn't do it anymore.. one hour or so. I know you might not be able to do that right now, but once you have the baby and the postpartum depression has settled in... I strongly recommend you to do this.
    stariie likes this.
  2. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Depression is a Hideous illness. I suffered with it for 25 yrs. I tried committing suicide several times. I was tormented by my emotions, No matter what was going on. If i got a glimpse of happiness it was very fleeting. Finally I went to the psyche ward for the 40th time. And was prescribed a medicine that works. All that time and different meds. didnt work. On top of everything Im also a drug Addict. That didnt help.

What i would like to say to you is Dont ever-ever-ever give up. There is Hope for you if you look. God helps those who helps themselves, so do what you can when you can to help yourself. Things will turn around for you. God BlessYou
    Steve Dawson and sunflogun like this.
  3. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

So true, giving up is not an option, giving up is continuing to be depressed and that is a dead end. We need to take a stand, we need to make a move to get out of it.
    pstrong1969 likes this.
  4. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I have suffered from varying degrees of depression throughout my life, undoubtably like many people here. It is the root cause to many addictions. The hormonal changes you are currently experiencing during your pregnancy will affect your brain chemistry in many ways, and although it can often lead to a much more positive outlook, the opposite is also unfortunately true as well. You don't mention if you have suffered from depression in the past or whether it is only a recent development with the onset of your pregnancy, and you also don't mention if you have consulted your Doctor about it. Post-natal depression is incredibly common and the symptoms may get worse after you have given birth, although they are unlikely to last for a long time if that is the only reason behind them. I would recommend you have a chat with your doctor, he should be able to recommend a course of action, either medication or lifestyle changes that should alleviate the symptoms for you. I wish you all the best and remember, just take one day at a time, sometimes depression can make every day seem like a chore, but keep on taking one day at a time and you will eventually overcome the worst of it.
    sunflogun and pstrong1969 like this.
  5. sunflogun

Most people don't know what's happening inside of them, but in a way depression is also an addiction, the longer we are depressed, the harder it is to snap out of it.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  6. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

This is absolutely correct. Depression is so pervasive, it effects every action you make and every decision you come to. Theres an element of circular thinking involved that can kickstart the depression to begin with. The inability to see the light at the end of the tunnel, or to be able to find a way out of your current circumstances can lead to a spiral of depression that can have severe implications for the sufferer. Sometimes all a depressive needs is someone to talk to, or a shoulder to cry on. Most despressives feel that their problem is unique to them, and that no-one else has ever suffered from such circumstances. With resources such as this forum, we can realise that the problems that effect us also effect many other people, and that in itself can sometimes be the catalyst to recovery. Theres a lot of truth to the phrase 'A problem shared is a problem halved'
  7. sunflogun

That's so true, when we open up and share our problems, we are not only reaching out for help, but also recognizing that we have a problem that we need to deal with.
  8. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

It's great you are here to get support. That is huge. I too have times when I get very depressed and don't feel as though there is a way out. I will share what seems to help me get back on track.

First, be mindful of what you are eating. It may seem silly, but in all honesty, anything processed can lead to depression. Start by snacking on things that you like that are real food. Carrots, celery, or even some whole grain chips. I have a tendency to want bad foods when I am feeling down and those things just make it worse.
    Second, make sure you are not just sitting around. This also is fuel for depression. It is EXTREMELY hard to force yourself to get up and do anything if you are having a severe battle, but it's very important as well. Set small goals, like take a walk to the corner or clean off the coffee table. Then allow yourself to be proud for doing something you didn't want to do, but did anyways.
    Third, make sure you are doing something for you. Read a book, learn to knit, try a new recipe. Something that gets your mind working and busy. This can help you distract yourself from the sadness and hopelessness you feel.

Last, really try not to think negatively. This is always the hardest for me. But when you start thinking negative thoughts, it just adds fuel to the depression fire. I often tell myself things like, "You are annoying, nobody wants to talk to you" or "nobody loves you, they just pretend." When I feel this way, I list all the good things that happened. Even if it was just having the money to go to the store and buy my favorite shampoo. I allow myself to feel grateful I have the money to do that, and that I have a car that runs. I had the gas to go and that nothing bad happened along the way. Pointing out the good in your day to yourself can really help, and just don't acknowledge the bad parts.

I will be thinking of you
  9. sunflogun

Negative thoughts many many times can destroy our recovery and self-esteem, but if we look at them, they are just thoughts and we are being our worst enemies.