An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression and Addiction - Dangerous Combination

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by lalabee21, Aug 30, 2015.

1. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Depression is a serious thing, if anyone here has ever suffered from this knows what I’m talking about. You can’t get up from bed, and it’s not just in your head, you really feel your body aching. Insomnia, lack of apettite, sadness, losing hope and dreams, pessimism and frequent death thoughts are only just some depression symptoms.

To deal with depression alone is kind of tough, but I can’t imagine how it would be like to deal with depression and alcoholism at the same time. A study indicates that with depression there's a 10 percent risk of suicide, the same with alcohol. But what if you combine them? The suicide risk is about 1 in 4!

This dual diagnosis is dangerous, so if you have a loved one battling with depression and addictions it’s important to make him feel that there’s a reason why he or she is here, that life has a meaning. I think Walt Whitman can say this much better than I can, so I’ll leave you with his words.

“Do not let the day end without having grown a bit, without being happy,

without having risen your dreams.

Do not let overcome by disappointment.

Do not let anyone you remove the right to express yourself,

which is almost a duty.

Do not forsake the yearning to make your life something special.

Be sure to believe that words and poetry it can change the world.”

Walt Whitman
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, it is certainly a dangerous combination that is why so many dual diagnosis centers are available and operational. It is one thing to suffer from one or another, but quite another to have both. Of course as most people know, addicts frequently have underlying mental health disorders that cause them to start abusing alcohol or other drugs in the first place. In order to be successful, both need to be properly diagnosed and treated.
  3. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Seem I could write a whole book on depression as my life has been faced with just so much that it is a mystery as to how it is that I still remain alive right now. Being depressed is something that without support of loved ones can have a serious impact on you. I have moved back in with my parents at present and it is mostly because of the fact that I am aware of the fact that I need help and doing it alone is too overwhelming. I need to be with those who I love and love me back and genuinely want to see me get past this period, this dark period.
  4. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Im dual diagnosed with addictions-Bi-Polar, anxiety, depression, Ptsd. My life hAS BEEN ROUGH. Ive endured alot. Prison 5 times, suicide attempts, overdoses, stays at Psyche wards. Im more adjusted to life now that Im clean off all substances and on the right Psyche meds. I feel like living today.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a really nice quote. Depression is something that many people have or its like this dull existence. If they are not numb with drugs they are numb from junk food that messes them up.
    The only way to really live is to feel things to the fullest extent. You know, if you are sad then be sad. You want to cry and sit in your bed then do it. There is addiction to emotions through the brain. You know we sometimes seek for that emotion we are addicted to so we create it. You despise this and that, well you draw it with your anger. You put energy in it.
    Experiencing life and all of its facets is a good thing. Even if you have to feel the bottom of the barrel first.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Having dealt with depression on and off for years I can confidently say it's the worst thing that can happen to a guy, it prevents you to be active and achieve your goals which will just worsen the situation in the years ahead.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was both depressed and addicted at the same time. In fact, I became addicted to alcohol and tobacco because I was so down and I thought the substances would make me forget about it and put my problems away. But they didn't, and after years I realized how much of a mistake this was. I don't regret anything though, as I have learned a lot from this experience.
  8. thekennie

thekennie Member

I still struggle with this, my depression will be something that will forever haunt me. My addiction is self-harm, after eight years of self-harm I've realized that it's an addiction and I was also diagnosed with depression/anxiety. My family found out this year as well and they didn't help the situation either. Stress always leads to anger and depression for me, unfortunately like I said, I will always be haunted with it.
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Depression makes you think that you're stuck forever...but it really isn't that way...I promise you things will change and nothing will be haunting you forever...