An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression, is it real?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

It still amazes how destructive can be to their sufferer and their friends and family, yet some people still think or speak of it as though its note a real illness. How do you deal with it when you're having an episode and are confronted by that?
  2. olb1213

olb1213 Member

The continued stigma surrounding depression and other mental illness is so discouraging to me. I have a friend who suffers severe anxiety and panic attacks and her husband of almost 20 years still thinks it's just a matter of "getting over it." I hear the same thing about people suffering from depression, that they should just "get over it" and it's a choice to be sad and feel hopeless. I honestly don't think there is a way to make people with zero compassion understand what it is truly like.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, I think that a compassionate person will always support you and is ready to listen and give you advice, and they will have no problem helping you even more by urging you to go to a doctor if they notice that you need medical help. A callous person that does not care will always think that it's just nothing but a mood swing.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It's sad that in 2015 there are still people who dismiss depression as not being a serious condition. Clearly there needs to be much more education. It's easy to say ignore them but that is not always easy to do. Truthfully, I feel sorry for people who can't sympathize with others dealing with the challenges associated with depression. It is real and sufferers need all the support they can get.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I believe that depression is real and alive. It is certainly eating up a lot of lives out there and because people don't know the first thing about it. it can get very nasty to a point where one feels like life is not worth living!

I think that people need to be made aware of what depression truly is so as to cut the judgement and increase not only the knowledge but realise what a person who is depressed really needs so as to be prepared and ready to act at any given time!
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Depression is real - as real as the fingers you're using to press the buttons on your keyboard. People suffer varying degrees of depression. Those who can equate their non-diagnosed depression to ordinary, run-of-the-mill sadness find it difficult to sincerely empathize with people suffering from severe clinically diagnosed depression. The latter type bespeaks of a psychological imbalance which may be remedied through thorough psychiatric intervention.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Depression is extremely real. I do not fully understand why that is a question, honestly. If you have not gone through depression, then consider yourself extremely lucky because the people that suffer from it have to deal with so many different demons and it is increasingly difficult to fight them. There are also many people who are undiagnosed that are depressed, which is dangerous in itself.
  8. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I think the problem is that everyone feels "down", but not everyone gets depression. For those that just felt "down", they might feel like depression is just the same feelings they had, and they were able to snap out of. So they have no compassion and feel like people should just get over it. So I think they just don't get it, yet they think they do, which is why the lack of concern.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the misconception is that people who feel depressed are just sad, and since it's just sadness then it would be easy to make it go away or get over it. The problem is that in reality, depression is much more crippling anxiety than it is sadness, and few people seem to grasp that concept.
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

It is a mental illness and everybody is fond of that.
    Somebody stupid and unexperienced would say that it's not an illness.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Of course it's real - it's either a natural reaction to a traumatic situation or a chemical imbalance in the brain. Of course, many people don't realise this and think people can simply "pull themselves together".
  12. rubydust

rubydust Member

It depends who you're dealing with, in my opinion. If it's someone you don't really care about, it's not worth the energy wasting time worrying about what they think. They might be worth a minutes worth of your thought, as you pity them and their ignorance.

If it's someone you care about, like a close family member, it's worth taking the time to try to educate them about the realities of depression. If they can begin to understand what it feels like, they should change their opinions.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Everyone knows about depression, but not all of them understands it. People always say to someone who has depression to go out, talk to other people, and do something that will take your mind off things. However, it's not that simple. Everything is easier said than done.
    stariie likes this.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

It could be a lack of compassion, or it could be ignorance about depression that makes people shrug it off as if it means nothing, and is not a serious issue that you're dealing with.

I have to admit that I don't quite understand depression, but I have not had anyone in my immediate circle to be suffering with it, so I have never had to really research it and find out what it is really all about.

If your family is ignorant (uninformed) about depression, they have to want to go and seek out information about the disease. If they don't research it, they won't know what you are going through. Try not to let that upset you.

It is very hard when people are dismissive of your issues, but just try to be strong and get as much help for your issues as you can. You might have to move away from people that make you feel bad about yourself so that you can deal with your issues in a positive environment.
  15. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree with this. I know about depression, but I have to admit I don't fully understand it. I don't have anyone in my immediate circle who has depression, so I have not had to deal with it in a hands-on type of way.
  16. debbie24

debbie24 Member

I consider depression a real illness that affects the mind. Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Also called major depression, major depressive disorder or clinical depression, it affects how you feel, think and behave and can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and depression may make you feel as if life isn't worth living.
  17. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Depression is the cancer of the mind. Depression kills the spirit and the soul, it destroys ambition, hopes and dreams. You could argue its the worst illness.No matter how bad a physical illness you still have control over your actions. At least there is hope. Depression feeds off your insecurity and your doubts and kills you from the inside out
  18. rubydust

rubydust Member

This is a good point. Unfortunately though, physical illness can so often develop into depression too. Because it prevents you from accomplishing the things you want to do, people with disabilities or other debilitating illnesses feel frustration, or grief, which can lead to deep depression.
  19. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Some cultures do have trouble accepting psychological illnesses either because the culture has never really examined it enough to diagnose it as such, or for being too religious and emphasizing both the cause and cure in a religious perspective.

Depression is absolutely real, and being dismissive of it is just plain ignorant.
  20. Kaylaz

Kaylaz Member

I really wish more people could be aware of the signs of depression in their loved ones and friends. I do agree that sometimes people do have trouble accepting that they or their family member has it, which can cause it to get deeper and worse. It is real and needs to be dealt with!