An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression, is it real?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Depression is too real. I suffered with depression a few years ago and it was truly awful. It affects all aspects of your life and is one of the hardest things to get over in my opinion.

Trying to keep yourself going when you cannot see any way of getting better is a black hole I think, which is why having people close to talk to is absolutely essential to getting better. It actually amazes me how hard it hits your body, not only emotionally but physically too. With me it effected my energy levels the most. No matter how well I ate I just could not find the energy to do anything at all and some days it was hard just to get out of bed.

I cannot express enough how horrible depression is. If you are going through it now, I urge you to speak to your partner or your family, explain what is going on and get the support you need. It is very hard to overcome depression by yourself, if not too hard, so you need lots of support. It took me months to get over mine and luckily enough it has not come back again.

One of the key ways to overcome it is to find the source of the problem and face it head on!
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Depression, especially here in the U.K is still a topic that seems to be brushed under the carpet and not talked about.
    With depression being classed as a mental illness its often not taken seriously enough and people don't understand how much it can ruin somebody's life, and the lives off their friends and families. People tend to say things like 'snap out of it' and 'you need to pull yourself together' that's kind of thing, thinking they're helping when in fact all they're doing is making the situation even worse.
  3. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I know depression is all too real. I have dealt with it on and off over the past few years but it really hit me hard in 2006 and 2011. I didn't seek treatment because I don't have the money to do so and I am uncomfortable sharing my story in group counseling for fear of looking silly. I feel insecure discussing such an issue with other people. I had to let go of a very good friend, someone I knew since I was 14, because of her callous nature when she offered her opinion on my depression. It was very shocking and heartless. Of course other things played into my decision to end the friendship but I'll never forget her dismissive nature in regards to my battle with depression.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think some people tend to misinterpret or even abuse the term so it loses a bit of credibility to some but to deny it exists would be ludicrous.
  5. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

I think people know depression is real. why so many deny it, I am not certain. Maybe because they don't know how to deal with it and that scares them. Maybe because they see some of the signs of it in themselves, and that scares them.
    I don't know, but I have a feeling that fear (on one level or another) has far more to with it than ignorance.
  6. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

The people who refuse to believe it's real are really really stubborn -- they don't care about your personal experience, they don't care about scientifically proved evidence, they just think that they know it all better. It sucks. It feels like people will use any reason to reject conditions for fun -- any mental disorder, but also stuff like "Oh, your gluten intolerance is a lie, you're just trendy" or "Your allergy is just convenient for you, you need to get used to it" and stuff like this.

I guess it is because there are some fakers out there seeking attention, and they just prefer to believe this than to be bothered. They suck. Maybe just ask them, "If my personal feelings are not enough to change your mind, if the cases of thousands of people are not enough to change your mind, if scientific data and research is not enough to change your mind, what would actually change your mind on this subject?"

Sometimes, when they realize that nothing would weight against Their Illusion of Reality, it makes them aware of how stubborn they are and they might relent a bit.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

It depends on whether or not the depression is a clinical depression or not. If people are just in a deep rut and they are having problems in their life(thus making them depressed), then it is not a chemical imbalance. It is more of just a rough patch in their life that just needs to be solved. If they have a legitimate medical condition that is called depression, then it is a disease. Being sad is not a disease. Sadness is a completely natural, God-given emotion that is ok to have.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Depression is real and affects many people. Though its symptoms may be hard to spot, it remains a silent killer if left untreated. Life has become burdensome to many people especially in the developing world(no offense, i come from a developing country). The best course of treatment is usually talking to a qualified counselor who will prescribe the best course of treatment.
  9. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

My OH says that she suffered with depression for many years, yet when mine reoccurs she gets angry and tells me that I am being hard work and I need to snap out of it. It's really hard when someone does not understand because it comes across as insensitive, sometimes it is, but sometimes it is a lack of understanding.
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

I have to reason about things and find hope. I pull myself out of the pits of emotion and think logically about the situation, and then I feel better.
  11. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Yes, it is real a Depression is a mental illness or a disease. All of us knows the feeling of sadness and that's normal, but when it says depression, it is the Intensity involves the degree to which negative feelings that you feel so worthless, useless and helpless. How sad nowadays not only the adult experienced the depression, but also teenagers.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Depression is real and it is really difficult to battle or deal with it alone. Better to have outlets like praying, writing or anything that could somewhat help you feel better. It is a serious thing and better to be aware of it.
  13. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Some people think that depression is something that can be handled in an instance. Depression is a real issue that many people suffer with and often times they suffer in silence.
  14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'll admit, when I was younger, I used to have a similar "just snap out of it" attitude towards depression, until I found myself going through a bad spell of it in recent years myself. It's really tough to explain effectively how crippling it is, because from the outside, it really just looks like you're slacking off and making excuses for everything. In fact, sometimes I do make excuses, because it's the lesser of two evils, than being blunt and explaining that it's my depression holding me back from everything. But even that is a no-win situation because then they start complaining about you being a liar and untrustworthy on top of it all.

There were two people I worked with and were part business owners with, who stopped coming into work for months at a time due to severe depression and I recall back then (around 2003-2004) getting really fed up with them, and wanting them to turn over their shares so the rest of us could move on. I've been in a funk for several straight years now which is far longer than what either of them did, so I'm really regretting for acting that way towards them now.
  15. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Well, I think it's completely neurological. As a matter of fact, it couldn't be caused by anything else since depression doesn't manifest itself through physical pain. So I guess in order to deal with it, we'd have to suppress our central nervous systems so that it doesn't send cryptic messages to the brain, which, in turn, interprets them as depression. To be honest, it would be a stretch to say it's a real illness given that depression can be easily cured by a favorable change in circumstances - something a cancer patient would deem a miracle.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Clinical depression can't be cured by a favourable change in circumstance.

How many people with great lives, families, money in the bank and nothing to worry about suffer from depression at one time or another in their lives? If there's a chemical imbalance in the brain it can happen at any time, sending that person into a dark place and time until they get treatment for it.

If somebody is clinically depressed, telling them to pull themselves together and taking them on holiday for a week isn't going 'make them better'
  17. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

It's one of those things people never understand until it affects them. Just like an Jett attacks, addiction, and anything else that doesn't leave you one less limb or a huge scar. I just try to keep that in mind and I remind myself that the only people who need to understand it already do.
  18. Matthodge1

It is the absolute worst state of mind to be in, because it literally kills everything that is inside of your body that is positive. It will mentally and physically deteriorate your body. I agree, it is the cancer of the mind.
  19. Matthodge1

While it is an illness, it also a mindset. Many people have a depressed mindset and they do not ever want to escape.
  20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yes it is very real and you need to learn how to cope with it as best as you can before it really gets to your head.