An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression, is it real?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I lived with a depressed person for 11 years so I know its very real. He would sleep as many hours as possible then get up to spend his waking hours trying to get as drunk as his body could tolerate. I used to think he was using depression as an excuse to get loaded everyday and was being weak. Now that I look back I see how messed up he really was. No amount of motivational talk from me or anyone in his family helped. No matter how bad or good things around him got, he just got deeper and deeper into his own head and addiction. It was sad to watch.
  2. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I'm not even sure it's that they have zero compassion. I think they just don't understand, because they have never experienced it. It's like someone who never gets sick. They think anyone who is sick is acting like a baby if they miss school/work etc. "Just get up and go! You'll be fine."

I think telling someone to get over it is the worst possible thing you can say to someone, in most circumstances.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

The term definitely gets abused. There seems to be a diagnosis/syndrome/disorder/illness for everything these days, to the point that I think it can desensitize us to real problems at times. I don't think everything needs a label, but I do think depression can be a real issue for some.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Depression is as real as a migraine or the flu. The causes for depression vary from organic imbalances to food allergies, to simply being down due to one's life circumstances. Anyone who has ever suffered from depression, however brief, knows how crippling and painful it is.
  5. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

If you asked me some years ago, I'd most likely need to think a lot before giving an answer. But now, I have seen depression up close and yes, it's very real! The person I see as my best friend, as the one I would give everything for, has been suffering from depression for a lot of time. Only recently he started taking medication and I already see improvement... but it shouldn't take a person that long to seek help. In my country, depression is still generally viewed as just sadness, something that can be overcome by wishful thinking. However, my experience shows it takes a lot more to get out of it. And it's a very real "illness", something which must never be underestimated.
    P.S. Sometimes the people close to the depressed one suffer even more than him!

[​IMG]
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Depression certainly affects more than just the person diagnosed or who is dealing with it. It affects everybody surrounding that person aswell, even down to the little things of watching what they say in case of upsetting them.

This can then cause bigger issues as then the depressed person will start to see what effect their illness is having on others and probably start to feel worse about things.

Depression is certainly an illness that needs to be handled carefully and it's definitely not fixed overnight.
  7. iamshane487

iamshane487 Member

I am encountering depression when we broke up. It has been 3 years that I prefer to live single and I lost my trust anymore. When I was depressed, I chose to live in a room with a black paint and no time to eat.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, also. Never denied that.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Sometimes people get into my head and try to make me believe that everything that I'm thinking and feeling, everything that I am going through is just completely not happening and it's all just in my head. It's incredibly frustrating not being able to figure out what is truth and what is not, what is reality and what is just a fantasy.
  10. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I am lucky to have a supportive family , and I respect them for that because I know it must be hard for them to understand depression especially because they didn't experience it . I truly think that people should make an effort and educate themselves about depression and anxiety. There are human beings who are in a continous pain because of these "unreal" problems and our kids, your kids can experience them at a certain point of their lifes.
    As an advice I would recommend everybody to connect with other people who are suffering from the same problems as you do, this can really help, is like a group therapy. Only the people who went through the same things as you do can really understand depression, the other people can only be supportive and open minded and if they are not, it's bad, you should avoid talking to them too much about depression, some people make it worst . I used to have panic attacks whenever a person tried to encourage me and tell me that " life is hard, you have to understand that and move over"
  11. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

It is definitely real, but a lot of people water it down by using it in every day language, like 'retard' or 'autistic'. That's what makes it seem like it's not real at all. I think that's the problem - people are too dismissive of it. It's a real illness in the sense that it's damaging your brain, which is just another organ in the body, like the heart or the liver.
  12. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I lived with a mother who had depression growing up and I can say it is definitely very much real. I hate that people seem to think as mental illnesses as being lesser, or not even real compared to physical injuries - but they're very much real and can often be more crippling than any physical ailment.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think that it may be difficult for others to understand depression if they have not experienced it, especially if it goes on for a long time. I have had depression and been on medication for it. I did not think that could ever happen to me and I did not like it. I did manage to identify and eliminate the source of my depression and then I weaned myself off of my medication. I then determined never to go back to that place again. However, there are individuals who suffer from depression that is much more intense and this is not a laughing matter. Some have to take medication all their lives to maintain a normal balanced life.
  14. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I think it is for real, even if we may call it differently or people have different symptoms. Symptoms may vary like lost of appetite, changes in sleep pattern, irritability, lost of interest, concentration problem, feeling of hopelessness, and other signs which may or may not be present to all. I guess it is hard for some to understand because some of the symptoms can be felt by anybody without necessarily having depression. Like, one may feel sad or may experience a downswing in mood but it doesn't mean that he or she have depression. But if it becomes your reality or your day to day situation and it already interferes with your daily activities or work and relationships, then, it is time for the person to seek help.
  15. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Depression is an illness which should be dealt with seriously. What people don't understand is that depressed individuals don't have much control of their situation. They can lose even their ability to take care of themselves. Simple tasks can be so hard for them to do. Sometimes the end effect can be detrimental if no one takes the time to properly deal with their situation.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I usually hit the streets hard by taking a brisk walk and try to burn off the depression. After that I take a shower and later I take a hard look at my options. I just had a depression episode 5 days ago, is this is fresh in my mind.
  17. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I think crying is good. Crying is a powerful form of detoxing. After a long while, you feel quite better. Cry when deep in sadness. Cry about the reason why you feel very sad. Cry why you've lost interest in your surroundings and the things enjoyable. Cry and ask why you think life is not worth living for.

Seek a friend's help who will listen to you and understand you as you pour out your fears, doubts, insecurities and grief. Get an accountability partner whom you can talk to any time. We cannot do it alone most times we feel down.
  18. Rholm

Rholm Member

Depression is a very real and highly debilitating disorder that requires treatment. It is estimated that by 2020 the leading cause of human deaths will be suicide due to depression, or other mental illness. While there are many different kinds and causes of depression, and while some people can still function while being depressed, it doesn't make it any less real. Depression is an extremely serious issue and needs to be approached as such.