An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression medicines

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by sweetkymom, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think, and I'm not an expert by any means, that sometimes the risk is outweighed by the reward. If we're talking about true depression, suicidal thoughts & actions, then the risk of dependency has to be weighed against the risk of serious injury and death. That's why, when you're on these types of medications, it's important to maintain your relationship with your care provider, get regular bloodwork, and communicate effectively what's going on with that care provider.

As far as side effects go, the truth is, tons of medications have tons of awful side effects. A lot more than people realize.
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't know if I should laugh I cry when I hear the true depression expression, I am totally pro free drugs treatments and social insertion, that is the base for most problems.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

This is something that I think of all the time with depression. After all Robin Williams was a very depressed person who did not expressed his emotion with sadness he expressed it through laughter. I too am free of drugs I only had a flu shot lol last week.
  4. Peninha

lol profit... :D

I have a cousin who has been "treated" for depression in the last years and she hasn't improved a bit, that is why I don't believe in this.
  5. Nick W.

Peninha,
    I think depression can sometimes be hard to treat, and also hard to diagnose. It's not something that really "clears up" one day. It's more like you learn how to manage it, how to deal with it better, recognize symptoms and bad spells. It's also important to get regular bloodwork to make sure that your levels are balanced. There really isn't a "cure" so to speak, so it's not uncommon for people to be treated for years.

You're not wrong about the profits, I'm just saying it could be a little of both.
  6. Profit5500

Depression is the bread winner of most peoples' emotions in this world. Its like everything is depressing. You cannot go anyplace without seeing people depressed about some problem they have.
  7. Peninha

I agree, like everything in life it's necessary a balance, but if we are fortunate enough to be surrounded by the right people a depression can go away much easier than just with a ton of meds.
  8. Profit5500

The only problem is that not too many people have that support in front of them. I do not have a bunch of friends to have support for me. So my depression does not go away very much for me.
    Nick W. likes this.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Try making friends online. They can fill the void in your life and if you communicate on Skype regularly it would be very much like having friends next door. I know some people have online friends who they get to be more closer with than the ones they have [offline] in the real world.

And the of course, there are a number of forums for people dealing with depression. You'd get lots of support in such places.
  10. Peninha

Yeah, having no one we can count on really sucks, but we need to get out and make new friends, being this in the "real" life or online, we need to snap out of it.
  11. Nick W.

Some people just find it hard to connect these days. I see so many people that I would almost be friends with, then something stupid comes out of their mouth, or I see the way they treat others, or they have radically different beliefs. It seems harder and harder to find someone that really fits the same mold anymore.
  12. Profit5500

Sometimes you can say that and want to get out and no one would care. Other times you can try to meet people and they would be reluctant to want a connection with you. Finding those people can be a task within itself which I am still trying to find out myself how to do.
  13. Peninha

That's true profit, so maybe the best is for you to find an activity that you enjoy doing, a sport for example and that will attract similar people around you.
  14. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

A real depression can often not be helped by friends or activities you enjoy. There are imbalances in your brain causing moods and sadness. There's no sort of logical way to "solve" the problem. Those who are unhappy cannot become happy just because they wish it. You can have a full life and still suffer from depression.
  15. Peninha

I am not an expert on depression Allen and I agree that some meds might help, but never the amounts that doctors prescribe, not even for that much time...
  16. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.
  17. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Perfectly said, I know a person that had depression and stress symptoms to the point where the person had to be on prescribed medication. What happens is, you will be on the medication for a long time, but during the period, your dosage will be reduced and you will after a long time, be reduced to no dosage, which means you're off! So, if you really think what the doctor is saying is true, just take them, it will be better for you to than if you don't. All the best!
    Jen S. likes this.
  18. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I usually believe that prescripted meds can be addicted. If you are so scared, it might be a good idea to refuse taking them.
  19. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Where is this statement based on? Don't you think extensive research has been done with regards to this medication?
  20. Peninha

Sure, that's what they rely on Sprezza. I have the example of my 36 year old cousin, life-long depressed and dependent to those drugs with no sign of improvements. What sort of medicine is this?!