An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression medicines

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by sweetkymom, Oct 3, 2014.

1. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

What people need to know by their selves, is to be aware of the meaning and difference of terms, which I write the first is the etymologies, and after the semi-colon is the merriam-webster psychological definitions:

Depression; to press down; a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies.

Repression: to check, confine, restrain, refrain, or hold back; a mental process by which distressing thoughts, memories, or impulses that may give rise to anxiety are excluded from consciousness and left to operate in the unconscious.

Suppression: to be burdensome; the conscious intentional exclusion from consciousness of a thought or feeling.

Oppression: a pressing down; action of weighing on someone's body, mind or spirit.

One can't resolve a problem, if one isn't aware of the problem. All mental diseases are in fact made up! It's all perspective attitudes each people create from responses to experiences. No psychiatrist, psychologist, external counseling, or drugs, will ever solve one's own created mental problems - this is fact, whether people believe it or not. It's up to the individual to figure what is pressing in their minds and to seek a solution to it!
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is the first step valiant, becoming aware, but how hard is that? Some people know it, but prefer to ignore. As an outside what can we really do?
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think there is a strong risk to get dependent on your anti-depression prescriptions. In fact, I saw a TV program not long ago about a certain anti-depressant that didn't just make people highly dependent on it, but it also changed their behavior. Some people had such strong reactions that they felt they were turning into someone else. So, yes, please be careful when taking anti-depressants or, for that matter, any kind of pharmaceuticals.
  4. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I take Fluvoxin (Luvox) and it has done wonders for me . It is not something you get addicted to from what I know. And also I have stopped taking high doses for a month+ and not really seen any withdrawal symptoms. Not only that but my depression and OCD did not get worse during that time period. But nobody should just stop taking their anti-depression medication just like that. I was an idiot and did not go to my psychiatrist to get a script for more. I resumed it after about 90 days but again all people are different. It may affect others adversely. I am much more on top of it now and take it regularly without any long intervals of not taking it. Just because you feel better does not mean you just stop like that. If you want to stop then go to your doctor and arrange some sort of plan of tapering. In my case I did not want to stop it. I was just feeling good and too lazy to go to my psychiatrist 40 miles away from me to get a script and so I let 90 days pass before I took another pill. And I am on a high dose.
  5. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

With all the respect towards your cousin, but this is just an example. It's not fair to discredit a medicine on the basis of one example.
  6. Peninha

You are right and it's just one case, their parents were not the best help in my opinion, but all I mean is that a lot more can be done apart from medicines.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I say that it all depends with the drug that you are give, when I was depressed I was given zoloft, prozac and some other drug that I can not think of the name at the moment, but I am glad to say that I never did get addicted, as a matter of fact when I started feeling better I just stopped taking them and I am still feeling better up to now.
  8. terrainna

terrainna Member

I was surprised when over hearing a conversation at my job between several twenty something year olds that were all taking some type of antidepressant. A few of them openly discussed their dependency and how they lack control of their daily lives because of it. Just hearing that conversation will forever deter me from taking any medication for depression. There are ways to overcome depression instead of trying to mask it. Explore those options first.
  9. wulfman

Taking medication for diagnosed clinical depression is not "masking" depression. Depression is caused by an imbalance of serotonin in the brain. While I do believe it is over prescribed, a lot of people really do have an imbalance and medications such as SSRIs help rectify it is all.
  10. wulfman

Yea I have never seen anybody addicted to SSRIs, MAOIs or tricyclics. I am sure it is possible though.
  11. Peninha

This is both surprising and scary, to know that people aged 20, 30 and 40 start so early to take anti-depressives. Than what, will they take them for life, does that make any sense?
  12. wulfman

Some do have to take it for life especially if it is a hormonal imbalance. We feel happy because of serotonin that fills between the synapses in our brain. People who are clinically depressed absorb the serotonin too quickly out of these synapses. SSRIs inhibit this absorption so that the serotonin stays longer in the synapses, hence the name Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. After a certain age, how long or what age you start it at is irrelevant if your body needs it biologically.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not experienced taking any depression medicines but I think it is possible to get addicted to it.
    There are news especially those who involved artists who got addicted to their depression medicines. Also all substances like medicines can cause addiction.
  14. Peninha

I totally disagree with taking drugs to "treat" hormonal imbalances, I feel that the natural way can help them a lot more, most likely simply through a better diet.
  15. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

There are all kinds of Depression medicines finding the right one for you is important. For some individuals who have depression and a substance use disorder, giving up drugs or alcohol can actually make depression worse. Depression runs thought millions of people around the world. Some may not think this is a big problem but can be life threatening if not treated. Early on in treatment, antidepressants may cause you to feel unusually energized, especially compared to your previous state, This might be one thing that might lead to a addiction, in some people it really depends on the person.
  16. Peninha

I don't know if there is a right one jade, I think that those anti-depressants really create addiction, so we are better off without them. Nothing like having friends or someone to talk to.
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is possibly the best answer to the question. Having withdrawn from the hell that is venlafaxine, I can vouch that the tablets are not addictive in themselves, for example, you don't start craving them, but the body does need time to readjust. This is why a gradual taper is recommended.
  18. Peninha

Sure, it depends on what you've been addicted to, the body might not crave them, but at the same time you can't pass w whole day feeling normal without them.
  19. nessarconde

nessarconde Member

Antidepressants can indeed cause addiction. I personally don't think they're a viable solution to treat depression, but the overall scientific results report its effectiveness. You should discuss other options with your doctor, and if he/she still thinks it's the best way, then maybe you should take it. But please beware of the dosage. Don't take too much, and don't rely on them to lift your spirit, increase your energy, help you sleep, etc. There are things that can do that and are much more safe. Try meditation, exercise, eat healthy foods, go out in the nature, spend time with your friends and family, and you'll feel better.
    I am well aware that depression is a very difficult thing to overcome, but it is not impossible. Find your passion, a goal. a reason to get out of bed everyday. Even if you have to force yourself. Don't give up, and don't rely on meds to fix it for you. If you do that, you'll realize you are much stronger than you think. And the sun will shine again.
    Don't give up! I wish you the best.
  20. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Something tells me that people with true clinical depression would be offended if you told them that meditation, exercise, eating healthy foods, etc., is going to make them "feel better." True depression is being sad/feeling doomed even with those things going for you. When it is a hormonal issue, it's going to take much more than just fun activities to fix it.