New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression Sucks

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by deanokat, Oct 13, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

My son was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety at the age of 15. His depression led to his experimentation with drugs and addiction. He used in an attempt to feel "normal." He's been clean from heroin for more than 3 years now, but his depression has come back...and it's a struggle.

I wrote this blog post about it. I thought some of you may want to give it a read. Here's the link:

Depression Sucks

Peace. And to anyone who is battling depression, remember that depression is an illness and can be treated. Please don't ever give up.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  2. hanno

hanno Member

I had to reply to this, because I have a similar drug abuse history.

Five years ago, when I was in my early 20s, I became addicted to smoking heroin. I'd been depressed throughout my teens, but it became unmanageable when my mother passed away. I went to rehab and got clean, and entered another dark depression.

Facing the underlying issues that had fueled my addiction was one of the hardest experiences of my life. They were also the most rewarding. I really commend your son for trying to address and treat the depression. I'd advise him to remember the following things:

1. This will pass. The time after getting clean is really difficult for a recovering addict. It takes time to rebuild self confidence and the right balance of brain chemistry. Remember that it only gets better, and that he'll look back on this time as a character defining experience.

2. Keep trying to get the right meds. The process of finding the right depression medication is imprecise and trying, but incredibly rewarding when the correct balance has been found.

3. Reach out to friends. Now is the time to rebuild relationships with people who live healthy lives. Avoid drug friends like the plague.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I've read your blog for the second time around. Each time, I see a different, yet, all encompassing lesson learned and gained. At some points in our lives, we experience pain in which each of us struggled with grief concerning our loved ones. Things of desperate measures are ways we desire for answers and healing from them. I pray and wish you peace and healing for your precious son. May he find strength and sense of security and hope in the unconditional love you and your wife surround him with.

I pray for hope and peace for your much-loved son and entire family, @deanokat
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

It's tough having your loved one going through things like this and feeling powerless when you try to help them. You just have to continue being there for your son. Let him know just how much you love and care for him. Continue to find treatment for him because one of them just may work. All the best.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

yes, it does. I hope for the best for you and your son. I think from my perspective, as someone who has suffered from depression off and on for years, reaching out to your son, and letting him know he is not alone...and how much he means to you and your family will help. I often feel abandoned and lonely which fuels the depression. Knowing you are there for him will probably mean the world. However, everyone is different..I think at this point take your cues from him...but always let him know you are in his corner.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

It's tough having your doted one going through things like this and feeling powerless when you endeavor to avail them. You just have to perpetuate being there for your son. Let him ken just how much you dote and care for him. Perpetuate to find treatment for him because one of them just may work. All the best.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I hope he was able to handle his depression better now compared before. I think it is important to know the reasons or triggers for depression in order to properly address it. It is also important that people who are depressed with still feel the love and care of people around him and know that he is not totally alone.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh, that is too bad. It's pretty common. Anxiety interestingly enough within the past year I am finding is associated with calorie restriction. Not eating enough. A lot of teenagers certainly don't eat enough and adults too. I eat a ton of fruit and when I don't get enough in sometimes anxiety comes.
    Interesting that he said he used in order to feel normal. Copying other kids I guess.
    Nice blog thanks for the post.
    deanokat likes this.