An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Depression

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Nikkishea21, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I was a feeling down for the past few days, really depressed and I cried a lot and felt as if I just could not go on. I am having some financial, relationship and family issues, it just all seem to dawning on me in one day and I sat and looked at the situation and told myself that I just could not get out of it. I shut myself down a bit and just stayed inside and lie in bed thinking about it all trying to find a way out. I did this for about three to four days.

I do not know what it was, or when it occurred all I know is that I just got up one morning and felt better. Nothing has changed in terms of the situation yet I am feeling better inside. I do not know how or what it was that caused this but I find that I am more hopeful now more than ever and I am telling myself that I can and will get through it.

I am not going to turn to food to drown my sorrows there anymore and I will not shortchange myself for persons who do not care about me enough. I am going to live for me and be happy that way even if I am going to spend the rest of my life alone without a partner.
    lena_35, 3030 and notodrugs like this.
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

That's great to hear. Sometimes depressive episodes can come on out of the blue and go away just as quickly. It is a good lesson for those who are feeling down, sometimes you just have to wait it out and it will pass. I hope you continue with your positive outlook and continue to feel better.
  3. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

This is great! Good for you for taking the initiative to decide that you're not going to eat away your sorrows and that you're going to live your life happily regardless! I admire your determination, and I'm rooting for you! :)
    It doesn't matter where your good mood came from, just as long as its there.
  4. bobbilady52

bobbilady52 Member

Depression is hard and I feel blessed for you and happy that you came around. You will find the right person when your in a good way. Just do positive things and maybe change the negative to positive. Set some goals that will make you feel alive again. Stay away from people, places or things that bring you down. Just love your self and be strong!! Good luck to you my friend!!
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

I'm glad to hear that you are out of it right now and have the mind set never to go back to it. It sounds like all the pressures in your life momentarily made you break down and more because you put yourself in the mindset that it will never change. I'm glad to hear that you got yourself out of it regardless of whether it is going to change or not. That is a good sign, but keep a check on yourself and if you do fall back into such a mood ever again, you may be having depressive episodes which are not healthy and you may need professional help for.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I am willing to put good money on the fact that you won't end up alone at all! So don't worry about it at all, you always meet someone when you least expect it. Just make sure you look after yourself physically and emotionally and the rest will slot into place. Don't forget you can always talk to us here if you ever start feeling bad again.
    Rosyrain and Davienna like this.
  7. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

@Nikkishea21 I have to agree with you on this. Just today, I thought about why I would want a relationship ever again. Right now, my mom and I share an apartment and the problem here is just so bad that I sometimes get depressed when she doesn't stay out of my business. Constant arguments, money problems, and then I'm told that my writing or whatever I'm doing is worthless and blah blah blah. I can't even talk to her about my interests because they're too high brow for her to understand. I don't have any friends that come over and unless I'm maintaining the bands I'm booking at the venue, I hardly ever leave this apartment.

But I've had those moments where I'm super depressed and don't know why. Then I think about things like, what would I do if I were to get a job to work for someone else for a paycheck? I might just slap a tray out of someone's hand or walk out of the job just for the relief. And after that, I become even more determined to make what I do worth the time spent and the criticism thrown, and I feel tons better.
  8. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Determination and having goals is the key to snap out of depression. When we have kids at our care we can't afford to be depressed, we need to fight for them.
  9. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I can relate to your story as i have been through this phase several times before. Even recently I was faced with financial, family and relationship issues. None has yet to be resolved but I am finding joy within myself. I have also decided not to turn to food as a source of comfort like I would normally do. I can tell you this, I am not a hundred percent happy but I'm feeling a hundred percent better than I was just a few weeks ago. I have also started going back to church and God is really easing my burdens. Wish you all the best my dear.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  10. Peninha

That is the key davienna, finding joy within ourselves, having the capacity to do so. No one is ever one hundred percent happy, but being able to smile and be light hearten is a blessing.
  11. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Thank you missbishi, that is really refreshing to hear and I am very much appreciative of your kind words.
  12. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Way to go Nikkishea21! Loving yourself is the best that you can do for yourself. Take care and choose to be happy. Happiness depends on you alone and not on anyone or anything else. Think positive. And you'll see that you'll just radiate a positive and happy aura wherever you go. All the best to you!
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That is so sad to hear.But after all has been said and done, i would urge you to tackle your issues heads on and don't sweep them under the carpet.You can't bury your head in the sand and wish your problems away.You need a support structure be they family or friends.We are only human and we need each other for support and encouragement.
  14. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Stay positive^^ Doing things for yourself is always a healthy attitude. If you don't look after you yourself, why should others. And if you love yourself it's easier to love and be loved by other people as well, which is why I'm sure that you'll also end up in a good relationship even if it looks gloomy at the moment. Depressions can often be Eye-openers and I'm sure that you can get through everything.
  15. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I remember going through a similar episode quite recently. I stayed in my room for about a week and just got lost in my feelings. I think it was important that I did that because it helped me feel better and come to a lot of realizations. I'm glad to hear that you feel a lot better and are seeing the brighter side of things.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

We all have our fair share of depressing experiences. In fact, various people can feel varying degrees of depression, so while some may be able to get out of it quickly, some often get stuck. The source/s of depression transform into what we commonly call "trauma" particularly when left unresolved. It's crazy because we each have our own ways of coping with these problems and what may work for others may not always work for you. That's why, whenever you get caught up in feelings of depression, always remember this line from Eleanor Roosevelt (it usually works for me): "No one can make me feel inferior without my consent."
  17. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Well done on getting out of the rut and realizing your worth. It is always very sad when depression strikes and one starts looking at their situation in hopeless eyes. I have to agree with one of the posters here that said you won't end up alone! Things such as finding a suitable partner take hard work and mostly patience. It is always advisable to never rush into anything and to never give up too easily. You will meet someone all in good time, when you least expect it!
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Sometimes no matter how positive you can be though, the depression will take over. No amount of medication and proper sleep or eating will fix it. It's just how the brain works. It's all up to you how to cope with it. Once you've realized you're worth saving and you have something you can do, don't let it get you down. Acknowledge the presence of it. Don't write it off. Just repress it, push it down, and conquer it. Eventually you'll come out changed for the better.
  19. Peninha

If you are saying that it's a clinical situation, that it's a problem with the chemicals in the brain, that should be properly investigated and eventually some food supplements can solve it.
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

There you go that's the spirit. I'm glad you didn't fall back instead you forged on. I really like hearing stories of courage like yours. It takes a lot to push forward when it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Glad you kept it positive kudo's to you.