An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Desocialization

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Mar 28, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most people are social drinkers. Remove the social aspect and everything falls flat. Most people don't drink for the sake of it. There is a social aspect. It is not for no reason that a person enters into an empty pub and leaves nonchalantly for no reason. People like full pubs anyday. Why? The socialization aspect. This is my bane. The best thing to do is to cut off the the umbilical cord that connects drunkards to the pub that is their friends, associates and acquaintances. Or do I say?
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

You raise an important point. Herd mentality suggests that people do what everyone else does, fearing the idea of straying from the norm because of the negative consequences of doing so. I don't know a single person who would drink more than one glass/bottle of beer on their own just because they want to. Alcohol does not taste as nice as a soda or cup of coffee so that's no excuse.

People drink with friends because that's what people do. The few exceptions are those who drink to "drown their sorrows" or because they have a abnormal addiction to it. Antisocial drinkers if you must. But those are rather rare. People are social creatures and we always want to be with our friends so unfortunately you can't just eliminate that aspect for the sake of removing alcohol out of their lives.
  3. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

True. I myself am not friends with any drinkers/alcoholics and I have no reason to go anywhere to 'drink with friends'. Barely anyone drinks alone, they always do it in groups. Severing those relationships would definitely help out.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most people drink socially any way. If your trying to quit drinking you have to stay away from any social activities that involve drinking. Staying away from pubs and bars is a good idea too. It never really helps to be in the wrong atmosphere when your trying to overcome an addiction. I agree.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it's unwise to say that hardly anyone drinks alone. I know a lot of people, myself included that enjoyed drinking in my own and it ended up as a problem.

Just by cutting your friends off who like a drink, doesn't mean that your all of a sudden cured from your own dependency.
    Jose likes this.
  6. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Well, I for example, am an introvert and I do not like crowded places too much. When I drink, and I had my spells, I like to go either alone or with a friend in a place where people know but when I say people I mean a bartender is my cousin. It is not black and white. My uncle is an alcoholic and he drinks with his cats. He never goes out and he stays at home to drink. So...
  7. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

My problems with alcohol started due to desocialization.

I thought we were on the same page at first but obviously I misinterpreted those words. I think when you start to drink by yourself its proof that you got a problem, and its gonna get serious really fast.

When you start thinking alone its mostly because you are relying on it to help you get through your problems, sooner than later you're going to actually need it to get things done.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's a cultural thing in some places. People get together after work and drink. It's got less to do with socialization and has got more to do with what everyone else has been doing for centuries. The attitudes towards drinking need to change too. In Japan for example, after work it's the norm for most people to drink with colleagues first before they head home.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I'm one of those rare ones who likes to drink alone. I only drink socially when my friends insist on it. Why do I like drinking alone? Because I have peace of mind the next morning just knowing that I didn't make a fool of myself at some bar or party.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I tend to drink much more when there is friends and family involved because you just don't think about it as much. You have glass after glass while socializing and soon you are completely wasted. I drink a glass or 2 of wine when I am at home sometimes and can drink 3 or 4 times that amount when I am out in public.
  11. pwarbi

The cultural aspect of drinking in some countries, can actually prevent alcoholism, well...that's what they say at least.

In some countries it's traditional to have a bottle of wine with an evening meal for example. They then don't have anything else to drink after that, so in a way, compare that with a person in the UK for example, we tend to have something light to eat, then drink for the rest of the evening.

I'd say our way is definitely more unhealthy.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Yes, yes, yes. Sadly, alcohol is a big part of social life, and being honest, I don't think that'll change someday. But people need to be conscious that you don't need alcohol to have a good time, and sometimes that's what a lot of people associate alcohol with. This needs to change but I'm not sure how, can we prevent it? Or just try to make people conscious about it?
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Bars are definitely promoting alcohol and social situations often involve it, it's not something you can change since there are too many people already influenced. Unless you can find something to substitute alcohol with the situation will remain the same.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

This is definitely true for a lot of people. Many of my vices would not exist if it weren't for the social setting. Although, some have alcohol issues that don't involve social settings at all. They will drink by themselves no matter what.
  15. pwarbi

Even the advertising on TV promotes the social side of drinking and they make it out to look cool to have a drink.

Maybe for some people it is, but for a lot of others there's a sinister side to it that they never recover from.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

People have been getting together to drink for centuries. There's nothing wrong if folks want to have a drink or two with good company. It's when the drinking gets out of control, that people need to check their priorities. However, I don't believe that regular drinking adds any value to a real friendship.
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I was going to say something similar to this. Besides, if you have really good friends, they can keep an eye and make sure you don't drink too much or drive you home if you cant do it yourself. And remember alcohol plays other roles in people's lives as well. Like the wine representing Jesus blood would be one example.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that one reason why a person drinks is to socialize or be part of a group. Better to avoid enablers or influences if you know you cannot control yourself or you cannot just drink moderately. I have been in a bar several times with friends and they never convinced me to drink even a sip cause I do not like its taste and would not want to start liking it.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I know some people who drink socially and in moderation, it does happen. I think it's nice to have a few drinks just to enhance your social experience, but things start to get ugly once the person starts drinking just to endure said social gathering. I've done that. Most alcoholics I've known drink in the privacy of their homes. It's odd, some of them even drink alone.
  20. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It is true; when my husband does not associate with friends who drink, he doesn't drink. But when he does, he drinks. I wonder how long this so-called socialization will continue.