An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Desocialization

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Mar 28, 2016.

1. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

People just start drinking alcohol only on occasion and parties at first but the problem is that most of the people become addicted to it. Desocialization happens when you drink it for the sake of enjoyment and not for a social cause. Alcohol may be a good source of entertainment for weekend parties but drinking it daily while you are alone is a big problem. So, I agree with you.
    pwarbi likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Loneliness is also another cause, nd I was working away all week with no friends or family around and very little to do. The only options I had was to sit in my hotel room alone every night, or go to the one and only place in the village that was open, the bar.

While that's no excuse, it did contribute to me relying on alcohol as a way to enjoy myself instead of only drinking BECAUSE I was enjoying myself.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yeah, most people like drinking with other people but there are those that drink even when they're alone. My brother is one good example of that. Or should I say, was. He drank for just the heck of it. He needed no other companion but the bottle.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that's how you first start, and you go out with friends and have a few drinks and a laugh, you have a good night.

With Mr working away and being alone, it's as if I drank to try and replicate that feeling I had, and to some extent it worked. After a few drinks I relaxed and chatted to others in the pub I didn't even know.

That was just the drink talking though, and soon I got into that habit of preferring the drink me to the real me.