An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detox Diet

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by tasha, Jul 7, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes you heard right but it is not what you think. There is no diet or anything to stop you from feeling bad after giving up on drugs or alcohol but you can feel better with a good diet that can boost your immune system and make you feel fresh and new in no time at all.
    Unfortunately it does not take away the pain or hot sweats but it will make it quicker for you to recover and feel better sooner.
    Anti oxidants are going to be your new best friend so get used to that word and another one is vitamins....not pills but in the fruit and vegetables that you are going to now get accustomed to.
    Berries, strawberries, cranberries, pomegranate are excellent for you.
    Fruit and vegetables like oranges, banana and broccoli, spinach should be in your daily diet.
    Stay away from caffeine and ensure that you have at least 5 types of fruit and vegetables daily along with the anti oxidant of your choice, I recommend pomegranate or cranberry juice as this is good health boost.
    Once your immune system is strong enough you will be able to tell what your body needs and the next step for you is to get your ticker back on track with mild exercise to begin with and work your way up.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, incorporating healthy foods like these that are rich in antioxidants could help the healing process quite a bit. It's not a cure, but it'll help give the body and immune system a leg up in recovering from any damage inflicted during an addiction. Plus many of them are delicious as well!
  3. tasha

True they are very delicious and building up the immune system it works wonders and gets the body stronger a lot quicker.
  4. Cellador

Cellador Member

This is clearly good advice, but I'd like to point out that it apllies to everyone, not only to people in detox. Fruit and veg is always good, period (well, unless you have an allergy to something).

It is important to eat healthy, or even extra-healthy in detox, because the body and all its systems (the liver!) are typically ravaged by the abuse it was subjected to.

It's also worth keeping in mind that it's a process. A bowl of cherries will not cure anyone instantly. This isn't a computer game in which you drink a magic potion and are good again. Detox and the following recovery take time.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is true. I started raw until 4 plan last spring. It is surprising how much good foods will help you detox the body quickly. Now trying to stick with raw all week and one cooked meal a week. A bowl of cherries is better than a cup of pills a day. Its sustainable too. You feel 500 times better.
  6. tasha

even a crudité is nice with a good dip!
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This is really true, eating the right things along with your antioxidants does help to cleanse your body of the drugs. I know of a really good detoxing tea that helps too. Not sure I can post it here, wouldn't want it to seem as if I'm advertising anything.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Berries are great for detox but if you live in an area where they're not abundant then you may try other types of fruits like sour sop, simple apple, papaya and mangosteen. They're not only anti-cancer fruits, but they're also immune system boosters. There's another variant of berry that's already gaining worldwide fame for its curative properties - acai berry. You may want to try it.
  9. tasha

I haven't heard of the acai berry but you can also buy the frozen version of any of the berry family too, as long as you eat them it is fine and they are the best anti oxidant you can get. Maintaining a healthy diet is good for keeping your mind healthy too