New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detox from the inside out

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Mockingbird, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I have never had to go through a drug detox due to addiction. I have had to detox from the dyes and meds I was given when I was treated for my spinal injury and I learned some important things. One of the biggest things I learned is you have to take better care of yourself, eat good food not snake food and drink a lot of water. Some medications stay trapped in your fatty tissue and when you lose weight they can be released. Think about that, years after you take some substances you could have a flash back due to weight loss. Obviously you might want to try to get to an optimal weight, which means you have to break routine and move, exercise anything, just try to work up a good sweat.

The last thing I did and it was the most helpful, I went on a juice detox under the care of a doctor for 7 days and man, I had some serious detox symptoms on about day 3, but once I got to day 8 I felt better then I had for years. The Juice detox was easy and I did drop some weight from it, but mostly it gave a jump start to my digestive track via good vitamins and minerals. You literally get the junk out of your digestive track, stuff that could sit for a long time and could be toxic. I kept with it diet wise trying to avoid all the triggers that are not really good for you. Sounds like no fun, but believe me for the increase in energy and clarity of mind it is so worth it.
    amethyst likes this.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

That's very interesting. I did a detox like this for prescription drugs and alcohol. It was not an addiction either, just to clean the system. Very similar to yours. The Scientology Purification course you do for about 2-8 weeks until all symptoms subside. Lots of vitamins and minerals, oils, and niacin. Steam room time of up to 4 1/2 hours and a gallon of water a day. It was amazing and you end up looking 7-8 years younger. I am ready to do it again. It is good to do every so often just to clean basic toxins out of the body. There is increased energy and clarity of mind too.
  3. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

This sounds very interesting. I didn't know that bad substances could be trapped in fat!
    I don't think I could personally survive on just juice but congrats to you! :)
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Natural detoxification is a whole lot better than synthetic or drug-induced detoxification. Unlike the latter, using herbs to get rid of the harmful substances in your system has no side effects. I never truly understand the necessity of using pharmacy drugs to fight off the drugs that caused the addiction. This would only breed a vicious cycle, simply replacing one addiction for another. Some patients attest getting addicted to the drugs used for detox. So I guess your method as well as other plant-based detoxification methods are ideal.
  5. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

Whilst I agree that for the most part herbs have no side effects, some plants have diuretic (hope I spelt that right) properties which can actually work against you. I read a news article of a recovering multi drug addict who claimed that she had developed incontinence through substance abuse and the natural detox diet had just worsened her condition. If I find the article I'll make sure to link it.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Mockingbird. What were the symptoms you had on day 3 of your juice detox? What kind of fruit did you take? I'm asking because I tried to do a juice detox for colon cleansing, is that considered a detox? Anyway, I had apple juice as in fresh apples that I juiced to make an 8-ounce glass. I forgot how many times I had to take it. I think it was on an hourly basis and squeezed in a glass of purified water in between. I was supposed to do it for 3 days without any solid food. But I couldn't last until the second day. I was so dizzy and weak, I had to stop it. Is that normal? Are those the symptoms that you felt? Actually, my husband and I did it together. His blood pressure was shooting up when he had never been hypertensive. So we just decided to stop it. I thought though that it would have been really beneficial to our health. Perhaps, we should have done it under our doctor's guidance like what you did. But my friend who was in her late 40s then tried it. She is on the heavy side and she lost weight and was healthier as a result. She never had a doctor with her for the whole 3 days and she was fine. I guess it is not for everyone. I might try it again next time perhaps when I am healthy enough to have one.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

I think it is very good to detox after undergoing heavy doses of medication even if it is not for drug abuse. Your system has been processing so much, it is important to five it a cleanse and start fresh.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. Natural detox can go on for months and even years for certain people. It me many years to get rid of all the damage that alcohol, endless beatings and psycho terror did to my system. Some of my injuries got so deeply ingrained that I needed to isolate myself for a number of years and live a very quiet and healthy life style in the country with zero stress.
  9. s2chenrn

s2chenrn Member

I am a Registered Nurse, what I learned from nursing school is that undergoing detox can be quite a challenge. Basically, you are going to be subjected to loads of vitamin C
  10. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I had a very similar situation as yours! I remember half through day 2 I almost passed out at a shop. Luckily, I was with a friend but as he said "I turned complete shades of color in a few seconds". I totally lost it, and almost collapsed. I was so shocked and disappointed because I felt I was making strides in taking care of myself and this was a step on the list my body would not accept it. I would like to try again, but I am wary.
  11. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Were you also on colon cleansing? If you were, why did you even go out? Something gross would surely happen somewhere at any time beyond your control. Lol!

Seriously, I want to give it another try. My mom advised me against it because she said I would miss out on the other nutrients since I would only take fresh apples to juice and water. Just that! But like you, I know it will be good for my health especially because I have digestion problem (I guess). However, if ever I'll push through with that plan, I'll definitely see a doctor first. I never want to experience the same feeling again. We may be taking care of ourselves the wrong way. There must be a better alternative. Definitely though, I want it to be a healthy and natural one.

Good luck to us both! :) Updating each other would be a good idea. But I am not sure if I am going to do it anytime soon.
  12. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I think any method that is proven to work with the least amount of symptoms or after-effects will do to detox a human from a drug addiction. I never believed in these prescribed drugs to end another drug addiction, it's truly contradictory even if it has worked for some humans in the past, but that doesn't imply it works on a mass level. Ultimately, to detox is spawn and end by one's mind/body, no external treatments and programs will effectively change a human if she/he doesn't will and do what it takes to become better.

FYI, I recently learned that it has been researched humans take on average "67 days" to diminish or change for a new habit - hope this helps.
  13. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Ultimately every body is a different body.and the same detox methods won't suit every one for me it was plenty water and fruit did the trick but I'd recommend you talk to a medical expert before you do detox get your body checked out for any side effects of your addiction that might need treatment hopefully not but better be sure than jump into a detox programme which could cause more harm than good my advice is get your medical advice first then go for it
    deanokat likes this.