An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

DETOX NIGHTMARE Doctor almost killed me

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by JayLyn, Sep 18, 2015.

1. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with detox's. I've actually have had the misfortune to have had two bad experiences, one worse than the other. The worst one was when I was detoxing off of cocaine. I was living in a small town and the doctor's there weren't up on the latest in addiction treatment. For one thing, it never occurred to them to send me to a detox rather than put me in the hospital.
    So the doctor put me in the hospital and decides that since the last time I was in I was given clonodine and it worked successfully, they would do the same thing. Only problem was I was not withdrawing from an opiate I was withdrawing from cocaine and the two are complete opposites. Fortunately for me the doctor did not give me as big a dose of clonidine as I'd been given when I first went in for methadone withdrawal and I didn't die.
    The next day (or whenever it was that I woke up) the doctor came to see me and jokingly said "We almost lost you last night. Your blood pressure dropped to 20 over 50." Somehow I didn't see the humor in this. Has anyone else had a bad experience with the person overseeing their detox? Are mistakes like this common or am I the only guinea pig out there?
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Oh, @JayLyn! How are you? So thankful that the medical rehab team did everything to revive you that night you almost died. That must have been very scary upon knowing what had happpened about your 50/50 chance with life and death. But a great relief that you miraculously pulled through.

How are you now? I do wish you find good health and complete healing in your desire to get well. Please take care and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.
  3. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

The last time I was in the hospital the doctor prescribed me clonidine because I was going to start a cold turkey withdrawal off of Suboxone.
    I didn't realize how strong of a blood pressure medication clonidine was until I ended up passing out into a bucket of mop water and our Christmas tree in my living room.

I have never went through cocaine withdrawal so I don't really know the side effects but they must be quite different from opiates for clonidine to have that severe of a reaction.

Anyways, glad you are safe.

Watch some of the doctors out there.. Alot of them have a medical license without hardly any experience or training with drug addiction or addiction medicine. Believe me.
  4. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have never undergone such an experience but such incidences are common even with other forms of treatment. In some cases, medical practitioners have landed in court sued by patients or advocacy groups. Thats why such medicine should not be administered by a practitioner without some research or consultation.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Wow, that is super scary. Sometimes the best medical professionals can make mistakes, and if you don't have the best it is even more likely to happen. I think I would try to check out the medical staff before I went to rehab. It would be horrifying to have that happen. Due diligence is just one of the things you may need to do.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I've never been to detox myself, but a lot of my friends have. I've heard a lot of horror stories. Some of my friends have had very bad experiences there. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. I also have friends who had a good experience but not as many as those who've had bad experiences.