An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detoxing at home this weekend

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Sarahmuncaster1982, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Hi. My name is Sarah. I decided that after a 3 year love affair with opiates I need to quit. I am a "functioning" addict and no one knows. I can't go to the treatment centre because my city is too small and I will be found out. So I've decided to taper off and this weekend I plan to go through withdrawals on my own. I've been through it once before but I was into a heavier drug so it was hell. I don't think this time around it will be as bad but I'm so scared to feel like **** that I'll break down use again.. any tips on medicines that can help me this weekend would be appreciated. I have gabapentin, clonidine, and ativan. I talked to the people at the health store and they recommended milk thistle and valerian root. And a drug counsellor I just spoke to over the phone said multivitamins and calmag. Is there anything else that can help me?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Sarahmuncaster1982... Welcome to the community and congratulations on deciding to get off of opiates. I'm proud of you for making that decision. I don't think quitting on your own is the easiest thing in the world, but I'm sure you can do it. I really don't have any suggestions on other things that can help you, except I would advise you to drink lots of water. Water can help flush the toxins out of your system. I would also warn you to be careful with the Ativan. Benzodiazepines are highly addictive and very hard to get off of. So just be careful, okay?

We're here to help, support, and listen. Please feel free to lean on us if you need to.

Sending you lots of healing energy, love, hope, and encouragement. You can do this!
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Sarahmuncaster1982

Hello and welcome. I'm super glad that you want to get off opiates. My best advice is to just never give up trying, no matter what. And if you find something isn't working, try something or try various things. It's you finding your unique path to Freedom. I would advise you to stay away from benzos as well. They're very easy to get addicted to and you want to watch out for addiction transfer.

How's your weekend been so far?
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

@Sarahmuncaster1982... How are you doing??? How did your weekend go??? Please check in with us and let us know when you have a chance. Sending more healing vibes your way.
    Dominica likes this.
  5. Jean756

Jean756 Member

Hi:
    I did the same thing two weekends ago. How are you doing? I am now 12 days clean and YOU CAN DO THIS! I have honestly never felt better in my life. Sure, there are moments of weakness, but all I have to do is pause for a moment and think about how much better I feel now than when I did when chasing another high or scrambling and lying to get another bottle of pills. Please feel free to reach out if you need anything. I also hid my addiction and w/d from my husband and entire family. I found days 3 and 4 to be the absolute worst but kept telling myself it was temporary and somehow made it through. You can too. You can too!
    All the best. Please send an update.
    Liola and deanokat like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Jean756

Hey there! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your clean time! I think this is incredible and have no doubt you'll continue to be successful in your recovery. That's really sweet of you to offer help too!

Glad you're here and hope to keep seeing you around!
  7. deanokat

This is fantastic. Proud of you, @Jean756!
  8. laura_p17

laura_p17 Member

I am in a similar sitch. Exceeding my prescribed dosage of opiates and hiding it from everyone except my best friend. Can't get off them completely because my chronic pain is unbearable (I am severely disabled and I did try every single alternative on earth). This is my day 2 after a relapse.

Feel free to reach out!
    deanokat, True concern and Dominica like this.
  9. True concern

True concern Moderator

If it's not to personal can you tell us what you're disability consists of,no judgement I take care of 2 disabled parent's and I have a older brother who has autism and the mind of a 4-7 year old I also help take care of
    Dominica likes this.
  10. Liola

Liola Senior Contributor

How are you doing Jean756?
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  11. deanokat

@Jean756... If you get a chance, please stop by and give us an update on how things are going for you. We're here and we care. Always.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  12. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I stopped Fentanyl cold turkey but weaned off Norco. The first weekend without it was bad - Thanksgiving weekend. I had no idea I’d still be feeling “dopesick”. Today is day 21 of being clean. It’s very disheartening to read in the media that nearly everyone relapses.

I hope Sarah is okay.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  13. kellywet20

kellywet20 Member

When a person is faced with this type of relationship, you need to run away not from them, but to understand yourself. You did the right thing, that you were able to find the strength and get away from the usual way of life. I also fell under the influence of the abuser, I had to turn to interstate removalists sydney to make a plan to move and get out of that life. I ran away, but then I realized that I attract problems. You need to pull yourself together and make sure that you do not create problems around yourself. just change your lifestyle, enter new habits. This is a change of character
    Last edited: May 7, 2021