An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detoxing From Amphetamine

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Sparkster, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

As far as I can tell (and in my experience) detoxifying from Amphetamine is very dangerous and can potentially be a lot more dangerous than other more well-known harder drugs. Amphetamine (Speed) bypasses the the body's energy system completely and can allow users to function without food or sleep for weeks. Unfortunately, the effects of this deprivation only starts to show once the user is coming down off the drug and they can experience very severe physical and mental health symptoms as a result - confusion, delusions, hallucinations, heart pulpitations, bladder problems, stomach problems and much more. If the crash is severe enough it can be fatal.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

Sparkster, I like that you wrote out some of the negative medical issues that can appear after you stop using speed. Most people just think that you sleep more, when you stop using, but in reality, you are putting your body through hell and back.

Thank you for your post, that is great information.

Charles P.
  3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

We live in a world where there is never enough time in a day - and people try to remedy that with drugs like speed - but they are doing so much damage to themselves- and have no idea. Thank you for sharing this.
  4. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

In this thread you talk about Speed as the Amphetamine stimulant, but what if the stimulant is the ones used in treatment of ADHD? I have seen young people who find that Methaylphenidate can also have a severe drop when this is wearing off and this could be incredibly increased when this stimulant is abused over the recommended dose.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm not really sure about this to be honest. All I know is that amphetamines seem to have an opposing effect on people who suffer with ADHD. It actually seems to calm them down and relax them, rather than give them energy and hype them up. There are two people in my family diagnosed with ADHD. One of them is my stepson, the other is my nephew. My stepson was never prescribed any medication for it whereas my nephew was - I have no idea what medication it was that he was prescribed though, I'll have to try to find out.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that when amphetamines are used as a treatment, such as with ADHD, they are discontinued gradually, to avoid all the withdrawal symptoms described in the original post. It is when the drugs are abused outside a medical setting that the problems start.
  7. shmangie

shmangie Member

I know some people who took the treatment with amphetamines for ADHD and they were able to slowly get off of them with very little withdrawal symptoms. But when the drug is abused and used for other reasons I can see how the withdrawals can be severe and why people would keep taking the drug instead of go through the detoxification process.
  8. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

I've used ADHD medicine to help my withdrawals from meth. It helps and did give me the same energetic feeling but it only lasted for an hour or so. I also got very depressed when I was coming down, especially after a 2 or 3 day binger.