An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detoxing from heavy usage of snortables

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Shimus, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

After coming down and staying clean now for four years (yay willpower) I can actually look back on the times I detox'd and came down in that spiral of doom, heading for the floor. From being irritable all the time to wanting to cry and shake back and forth, I literally was a roller-coaster of self-disappointment and loathing. I also noticed I grit my teeth a lot from this and oftentimes would end with bleeding gums as a side effect. After going to my doctor to help me take it easier on my detox since I didn't want to/could not enter rehab at the time (as none were around) so I kicked it ala "Cold Turkey" style.

I can still to this day remember the piles of sweat on the bed and those fever dreams I had while cleansing myself out. I still would go through with it even on this day.
    missbishi, kjonesm1 and pandabear1991 like this.
  2. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Detoxing cold turkey is never easy, especially with chemical substances. I am surprised you didn't need something to counter (as most doctors recommend) but either way, I am happy to see you were able to kick your addiction. Not many can kick any addiction alone, but those who can, I feel are considerably brave and courageous. As far as those fever dreams, I would use them as a big reminder if ever you get tempted.

Congrats on sobriety!
    Shimus likes this.
  3. Shimus

Thanks! As you've seen me before on other sites, as I recognize your name, you know I'm into Anime. I figure finding a hobby you can focus on that will help the negative sides of coming down (or a video game to play) or any other hobby (be it gardening, sports, music) you can find something that can keep you going even through needing the medication. I knew I did, but the doc couldn't help me and i had no insurance/money at the time.

Looking back I'm just glad it didn't develop into worse habits or ruin my chemical balances. I was just lucky I guess? I know others who went through it too, in varying cases worse than mine and on the same level.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I couldn't imagine detoxing snortables! I had a terrible time when I detoxed Cymbalta 60mg, which led to me smoking cigarettes. But Anime and gaming was something I had pushed away while I was taking the Cymbalta. I most definitely agree with ya on how these hobbies can help with withdrawals and staying sober. Kinda hard to think about finding/funding a high (or even puffing a cigarette) when your too busy focusing on beating that level, finding that item, playing the next game in the series, or watching your newest favorite Anime as they are slowly released 1 episode at a time.

I also took up Culinary, to teach me how to cook wholesome meals. They are more time consuming, but well worth the effort and also help to keep cravings away. Yummy nom-noms (without going overboard) have been VERY helpful =^.^=
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Congratulations on your recovery! I watched someone close to me start to go through withdrawal several times, but always give in to the physical cravings of their drug of choice. Watching it was painful, I can only imagine the strength it took you to go through it. Best of luck on your journey!
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Surely, there's going to be difficult times when you're having withdrawal symptoms, but I know it's all going to be worth it. Once you have finally let go of this addiction and has moved on from it, you'll realize how beautiful life is when you're clean and sober. Kudos to you! :)
  7. Shimus

missbishi likes this.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I did it cold turkey too Shimus. I did join a support group who met a few times a week, which helped, but I never used any drug replacement therapies. It was the stuff nightmares are made of at the start but I am so glad I decided to work on my behaviors and coping strategies rather than just swapping one drug for another. Eight years coke-free for me and I will never look back!
  9. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

Snorted drugs are among the hardest to become independent from. They create a very, very hard dependence due to how harshly the chemicals affect your brain.

But the withdrawal symptoms are the worse. From constant vomiting to horrible night terrors - I'm glad that I've completely ridded that from my life; I never have to go through that ever again!