An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dexamfetamine for ADD

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Dexamphetamine, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I've been given dexamfetamine for my Attention Deficit Disorder (add).
    I must say it works really good. It works so well I have a hard time not overdosing.

When i'm off the drug my brain is just so foggy. I cannot concentrate at all and it really messes up my day.
    My prescribed dose is 4 pills a day but I usually take around 6-7.
    I know this drug is not a solution to my problems but it does help coping with daily life.

Does anyone take Dexamfetamine as well? How does it work for you? Better than Adderal or is it not?
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

Here is my take on your question. If you are receiving the medication from a doctor, and the doctor knows everything that you are doing, i.e., the amount of pills per day, the side effects that you are or are not having, and any other medications that you are currently taking, then you are fine. The "Recovery" Society has an issue with anyone taking any type of medication. Medications were designed to help people, but from the recovery point of view, they tend to stay focused on abuse. I think they have a tough time separating the two. It is possible to be in recovery, and to take a medication that is prescribed by a doctor, just as long as you are following your doctor’s orders.

You also need to be careful taking more than you are prescribed. You will run short each month, and eventually, it will catch up to you. Try to explain to your doctor that you increased your daily dose and see what he/she says. They might be angry at first, but there won't be any secrets, and your doctor will know exactly what you are doing. You might have been prescribed that amount for a certain "medical" reason, and your doctor really needs to know how much you are taking. I am not sure if I helped, or read too much into your question, but when I saw that you were looking for anyone that is taking the same medication; I kind of jumped to the conclusion that you were feeling a little guilty for taking the medication. I am glad that you found a medication that helps you.

Charles P.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Well I am glad that, it is working for you and it is making you feel much better, but i would say try not to take more than what your physician has prescribed for you, it my end up making your tolerence too high.