An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did anybody try to quit cold turkey?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Beautyspin, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Did anybody try to quit cold turkey? Were you successful. Was it your first attempt? If not, what else have you tried before? What was your smoking history before you stopped? How did you prepare for this (I know it is cold turkey but still).
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've tried and haven't lasted more than a day and a half. The withdrawal was too brutal for me. I'm still a smoker, but my longest smoke free streak was with the nicotine patches.
  3. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I did manage twice for 40 days without using any aids. I am not able to go past the magic figure of 40 days. I just wanted t know if anybody did better. I am sure many would have. I want to know their experiences.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

From what I hear, cold turkey seems to have the highest success rate. Not for us I guess haha.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had a friend that stopped cold turkey after a solid five years of smoking. He said he was waking up from a hangover one morning and didn't like the way he felt. He looked over at his cigarettes and got disgusted. Since that morning he never smoked another cigarette again.

I asked him about the addiction. He says that cigarettes are the most addictive. Til this day, years after to quitting he still gets the urges to smoke. Especially when people around him is smoking.
  6. mikka254

mikka254 Member

Anyone in the history of the world who has ever really quit smoking quit cold turkey. Using other methods to quit is teaching yourself that you are dependent on other things and that you cannot function by yourself.
  7. olb1213

olb1213 Member

My husband and I both quit cold turkey years ago and were successful. It was hard, but having each other for support was essential! I have friends who have tried the patch and gums with varying degrees of success, but in my experience after the nicotine has left your body completely it mind over matter. Changing my habits and behaviors was much harder than the physical aspect of being addicted to nicotine. I recommend quitting with a friend or family member and leaning on each other for support!
  8. purplepapaya

purplepapaya Member

Cold turkey was the only way that was successful for me, but it was not my first attempt, either. My partner on the other hand went from cigarettes, to e-cigs, to those little tobacco pouches in the tins, to finally quitting. So the journey was different for each of us (as I'm sure it is for most people).
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Well, the first time I tried to quit smoking was by going cold turkey. It lasted for a week before those thoughts on smoking completely filled my head and as the results, I kept inventing new excuses to let myself smoke. In the end, I gave up and smoked about 2 packs, which was way more than what I normally smoke in a day. However, starting from that point, I gradually started to be able to resist the temptation of smoking. With the help of snacking whenever I felt the urge of smoking, I managed to constantly went for a week without smoking. Eventually, I was able to lose any enjoyment in smoking. In terms of my personal experience, going cold turkey and failing was a gateway for me to quit smoking.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've never been successful for more than a few days going cold turkey. I gave in every time. I'm currently using e-cigarettes and finding that they are a great replacement.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A friend of mine quit smoking cold turkey. It was hard for him to keep his hands of cigars but he was doing it for his family and I suppose that gave him the strength to keep fighting. It's been 4 years now and he hasn't smoked another cigar. His friend who also took a stab at it failed. He didn't last 48 hours before lighting up. So I suppose quitting cold turkey works for some people, doesn't work for others.
  12. A few years ago I was able to quit cold turkey and maintain for three months. I resumed my smoking habits using the excuse that I needed to smoke after the loss of a friend. This year my New Years resolution was to try quitting cold turkey again, and I did - for exactly four days. I am a terrible person to be around when I quit smoking because my mood swings are unpredictable and I become very agitated. It was actually my own family that suggested I resume smoking until I could find a way to quit where I was not a horror to be around. I am still researching different methods of quitting. Hopefully I will find something that works for me and does not make me a menace to society.
  13. ebzo

ebzo Member

I had been smoking from the age of 15 up to age 19. One day i decided enough is enough, it is a expensive habit and i just couldnt afford to keep up with it. I managed to stop smoking that exact same day. I will admit though a few weeks later whilst i was out clubbing i was really drunk and decided to have a few pulls of my friends cigarette. However apart from that i'm smoke free and very proud!
  14. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I quit cold turkey. My son was born with some minor lung issues and I quit right then. That was 25 years ago. I bet I've had less than five smokes since then. Tried one cigar and that was horrible.
  15. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I should mention that when I quit cold turkey - see post above - I did gain a few pounds but got that under control with exercise after a year or so. I do remember having to have something in my mouth for a while. I'd chew on a straw from a drive-through lunch - eventually that got old. But, 25 years off the smokes!
  16. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

The first time I tried to quit smoking I tried cold turkey and it was horrible. I just thought to myself one day this is not for me and I do not want to smoke anymore, so I threw my packet away and went for it! I can safely say I lasted all of six hours before I bought some more! I do not think cold turkey is a good idea because you are not preparing your body to get rid of the smoking!

I have quit now, for eight months so far with the help of an E-Cigarette! I bought it one day and stopped smoking the same day. I have not craved once since I started using it and I use the lowest nicotine available, so I have nearly come off the nicotine too!

Most of quitting smoking is breaking the habit which is why an electric cigarette is fantastic for coming off the nicotine, then stopping completely!
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

One of my best friends quit one year ago by going cold turkey. He also used Marijuana and alcohol regularly but he decided to just go cold turkey on all of it. He hasn't touched any of it since. I think for some people it's just as easy as making the decision that they don't want to do it any more and that's it. Others can't ignore the temptation so easily.
  18. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I tried it, but I immediately got cross-addicted to dip and Nicorete, so I just ended up going back to the cigarettes.
  19. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I tried to quit smoking cold tuekry, and it was a success. Every time I tried to quit by going slowly, step by step I failed miserably. But in the end I am pretty sure that it all depends on the person, you'll have to try and see what suits you.
  20. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I never did, but a good friend of mine did. As far as I know he hasn't smoked since April and he's been very successful. He used to smoke a LOT and he totally quit cold turkey. Instead of smoking he rides his bike now to give him something else to focus on.