An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did anyone get violent on weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Clairelouise84, May 5, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I am genuinely convinced now that my weed addicted brother in law is not just on weed. I have known him for about four years now and he has been the most calm, placid, peaceful man that I have actually ever met. But after an argument last week in which he accused his sister of ignoring him (she wasn't) he tried to hit me.I defended myself and his dad eventually restrained him. But what I want to know is did anyone that was addicted to weed ever get violent?
  2. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

I've never heard of it. Unless he was withdrawing from it, he may have been using something else. I never got that way with weed.
    Clairelouise84 likes this.
  3. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Violence is definitely not the effect of weed. You will even mellow out with it. Your brother in law is definitely taking something else if he is becoming violent.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

Weed is one of those drugs that just makes you mellow out and go to sleep or binge eat and go to sleep. Your just too high to bother with anything. So, the only reason I can imagine someone getting angry with a history of using marijuana is that they are going through some kind of withdrawal from no having used it and really wants some to help them relax due to other stuff going on. It is possible that they are using something else.
  5. Clairelouise84

I never had either but he did so maybe people are right and he is on something else, I dread to think what though, it as going to be hard enough for people to get him off it when it was just weed.
  6. Clairelouise84

That's what I thought, whenever I smoked it (only a few times ever as I hated the taste and smell) I was just tired and hungry and my fiancée used to smoke it quite a bit and never got violent but he did so I think it must be something else. He has bi-polar apparently (personally not buying it, hasn't had a job in five years) and he blames that all the time and blamed that for him attacking me.
  7. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I have never seen anyone get aggressive on weed before. Most of the time they are too busy eating, laughing, or stone out of theri mind to bother getting mad at anyone or even remotely getting irritated.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have to admit I've never known a weed smoker to become violent either while under the influence.

In fact it's usually quite the opposite and marijuana will dumb down any thoughts of aggression.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

We all know weed is the pacifists drug of choice. But don't jump to conclusions just yet. Maybe the guy had a bad day or something. It happens.
  10. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I have had a few friends that would occasionally get in a rage mode when they smoke weed. It just really depends on the mood they are in before they smoke it
  11. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

When I did smoke, I've never gotten anywhere near violent and I've never met anyone who has at least not WHILE they were actually still smoking, but I have met a few people who get really "cranky" when they feel like they aren't smoking ENOUGH or haven't smoked in a while after having been smoking every day. It seemed like a similar response to people I know who quit nicotine, but the moodswings seem to be a lot more mild, and less frequent than that - my guess is that either he is having moodswings from one of the two things I mentioned, or maybe it was a combination of that and having a shitty day or week too, people can act erratic for a number of reasons so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I've never heard of anyone becoming violent after smoking pot, but maybe it happens to some people. Most people get mellow/relaxed/depressed.
  13. Matthodge1

That was what I was thinking. He probably was trying another drug and mixed it with marijuana, which made him hostile and violent.
  14. Matthodge1

You learn something new every day! I have not either, to be honest.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't actually know anyone who got violent upon consuming it, not even myself. Are you absolutely sure we're not talking about withdrawal symptoms here? Because from what you're describing, this is more like it.
    Recent studies have shown that marijuana addiction (physical one) is quite non-doable, and a violent behavior would be even more unlikely to happen. He was probably on something else, and you don't know all the details.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Well it looks like I will stand alone here and I have spoken about this in the forum before and said I believe weed can make some violent. More than twenty years ago, my then neighbour killed his then girlfriend and everyone at the time associated it with his use of marijuana. It shocked the neighbourhood that an otherwise placid guy could commit such a crime. Perhaps it's for that reason that I have always associated weed with the potential for aggressive behaviour.

Soon years ago, I got quite close to some who were addicted to weed and had hoped that I could help in effecting some change. I was fortunate or unfortunate to experience very aggressive behaviour after or while smoking the weed on several occasion by one or the other. It's therefore going to be hard for me to accept that weed does not produce violent behaviour.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

A person taking weed for medical purposes wouldn't get violent. However, an addicted person whose psychological stability has been severely affected by excessive marijuana intake has a high probability of becoming violent. Marijuana is a psychoactive drug so it can alter your behavior in drastic ways after excessive use.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it is possible someone who is addicted to weed would become violent, but not really because of the weed. In my opinion, anyone who does this would have already had issues to begin with because lots of people smoke it while still being calm and even calmer when on it.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

Not all marijuana users are violent. But most violent people want to use marijuana. It's use is an addiction like any other addiction. Marijuana gives a violent person a false confidence like when one is drunk.
    Winterybella and Clairelouise84 like this.
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Well if the person in question was high at the time of the altercation, I doubt he would of gotten violent or aggressive. Now if he wasn't under the influence at the time, I can see them getting violent as humans tend to be at times.